This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

2 hours ago, incognito_man said:

Can't read thread, but duh - you never "blindly" trust science. That's an oxymoron. The scientific process is designed to do the opposite of "blind trust". 

That being said, the only thing that refutes science, is better science.

Or being honest in your results. Unless you're agenda driven, which most science tends to be these days.

29 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Serious question, how can anyone compare the US numbers to the rest of the world and be happy with the response?

Which numbers?

Our deaths per 100k people of population is doing pretty darn well according to the JH studies when you only look at the countries that are doing decent testing and have any kind of travel in and out. 

https://coronavirus.jhu.edu/data/mortality

+++

Our flattening of the curve has worked very well when it comes to not overloading hospitals. Have we had any metro areas that ended up over bed capacity?

+++

Who should we be comparing our population to in these matters? We look good compared to most of Europe. China is flat lying about their numbers. Russia is throwing doctors out of windows for expressing Corona concerns. Most of India seems to think the thing is a hoax. God knows we can't trust anything coming out of South America.

• Like 1

Wow. To be honest, over the last 3 years I have avoided arguments with the other side. By doing this, I really never experienced how deranged people are. Playing mental gymnastics and cherry picking numbers, being lied to on tape repeatedly and not batting an eye, being willing to sacrifice the lives of Americans because they’re sick of quarantining and that’s just to name a few things that I’ve been reading on here the past week or so. This is incredibly disturbing. 

10 minutes ago, Rainmaker90 said:

Wow. To be honest, over the last 3 years I have avoided arguments with the other side. By doing this, I really never experienced how deranged people are. Playing mental gymnastics and cherry picking numbers, being lied to on tape repeatedly and not batting an eye, being willing to sacrifice the lives of Americans because they’re sick of quarantining and that’s just to name a few things that I’ve been reading on here the past week or so. This is incredibly disturbing. 

Oh, you definitely experienced it because it’s in your own head. Hilarious that you accuse others of cherry-picking and mental gymnastics. And that you continue to ignore any possible loss of life due to extended shutdowns and economic depression, unemployment, and bankrupt retirement accounts. Maybe if you were more intellectually honest, you would set foot outside your echo chamber instead of mindlessly slandering other people’s motives.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TransientTexan said:

Oh, you definitely experienced it because it’s in your own head. Hilarious that you accuse others of cherry-picking and mental gymnastics. And that you continue to ignore any possible loss of life due to extended shutdowns and economic depression, unemployment, and bankrupt retirement accounts. Maybe if you were more intellectually honest, you would set foot outside your echo chamber instead of mindlessly slandering other people’s motives.

lol you plugged a tweet thread on here from a dude who tweets about jazz and his cats & you're big mad online waaaay too early.

relaaaaax. As annoying as it is with people being chicken little, it's equally annoying when people point to *other* ways that people die and say, "See! People die all sorts of ways and we don't shut everything down!"

The reality is that the proper response to this lies somewhere in the middle.

• Like 1

Well, I don't really know how the USA is doing. I've seen some graphs, and it doesn't look good or project that well, in my opinion.

Sad to say, the UK (where I live) is doing at least as badly, maybe worse (depending on how you measure it). Countries like S.Korea and Germany put the UK to shame. The most important mistakes in my country were mainly made early in the process, and it was hard to recover from them. 

The UK errors include not enough PPE stocks, a 'Herd Immunity' policy (basically let people get infected and immunity builds up in time at the expense of many avoidable deaths) that was overturned later, too little testing, no real track-and-trace, and perhaps worst of all, a series of bad decisions regarding care homes that caused a disaster within that community.

It may end up that the USA does even worse than the UK, or it may not. It takes those of you that live there to see the smaller (but important) details, to get a decent overview of your countries performance. I think we can all agree that the UK and the USA have not done well here, it's more a matter of how bad is bad.

My final thought on it, is that I hope countries can learn from their mistakes and have a better, more refined, more interlocking plan, next time around.

Edited by OneTwoSixFive
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Well, I don't really know how the USA is doing. I've seen some graphs, and it doesn't look that good or project that well, in my opinion.

Sad to say, the UK (where I live) is doing at least as badly, maybe worse (depending on how you measure it). Countries like S.Korea and Germany put the UK to shame. The most important mistakes in my country were mainly made early in the process, and it was hard to recover from them. 

The UK errors include not enough PPE, a 'Herd Immunity' policy (basically let people get infected and immunity builds up in time at the expense of many avoidable deaths) that was overturned later, too little testing, no real track-and-trace, and perhaps worst of all, a series of bad decisions regarding care homes that caused a disaster within that community.

It may end up that the USA does even worse than the UK, or it may not. It takes those of you that live there to see the smaller (but important) details, to get a decent overview of performance. I think we can all agree that the UK and the USA have not done well here, it's more a matter of how bad is bad.

My final thought on it is that I hope countries can learn from their mistakes and have a better, more refined, more interlocking plan, next time around.

Nice^^.  The USA and UK used to lead the free world, now we just try to justify that we're doing ok.   Both countries were late admitting what was happening and have tried to play 'catch up' ever since.  If anyone REALLY wanted to be intellectually honest.......both of our countries lack the leadership to unite the citizenry to fight this together. 

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Fl0nkerton said:

lol you plugged a tweet thread on here from a dude who tweets about jazz and his cats & you're big mad online waaaay too early.

So his arguments about pointing out the flaws in a study are moot because he also has other interests? What a dumb argument.