This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

51 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

I would literally start that in TAST, but I tried starting a history thread in there and they're all a bunch of uncultured swine. 

Lol they didn't want a history thread?

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Looking at photos of a killdeer, that is probably what it was.  This thing had a really long beak, but the coloration is pretty close.  For whatever reason, I thought that killdeer were mostly white.  I must have it confused with a different kind of bird.  It is definitely not a woodpecker.  

Killdeer are much smaller than a pigeon though.. they only get like the size of a hand.

Hudsonian godwit is my guess by researching.

Edited by HighCalebR

1 hour ago, TheGreatZepp said:

I don’t know what started this conversation but I like it!

I haven’t seen them mentioned, i’m Putting SWANS in the ring.... if you are in a kayak and piss off a swan, good luck.

Oh, I did at the beginning too.  Swans would wreck in bird fighting league.  At least until you got into the really big birds.  An ostrich isn't sweating a swan.  

2 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

I would literally start that in TAST, but I tried starting a history thread in there and they're all a bunch of uncultured swine. 

But what was the premise? Debating the flaws of the Soviet Space Program would have some good discussion.  Detailing the founding of the University of Delaware is not something that would garner much interest here.  Unless there was an egregious error, and someone that already knows about the subject objected.

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

But what was the premise? Debating the flaws of the Soviet Space Program would have some good discussion.  Detailing the founding of the University of Delaware is not something that would garner much interest here.  Unless there was an egregious error, and someone that already knows about the subject objected.

It was supposed to be an all-encompassing history thread with discussion on any topic.  I'm currently hooked on the American Revolution and I have about my next dozen books planned that will take me up to the Civil War.  I'm trying to hit every major historical figure and time leading up to about George W. Bush in American history, then I'll probably start on world history. 

3 hours ago, deathstar said:

I don't know if you guys have ever interacted with mockingbirds, but when they're protecting their nest they scare the **** out of me. Dive bomb city around a hospital I walk my dog by.

Many birds are tenacious.  But what is the mockingbird really going to do to something much larger?

Growing up I had a Siberian Husky and two house cats.  The husky, being a husky, wanted to play.  The cats, being *******s, wanted nothing to do with him. So he would go see them all happy, and they would hiss and slap him in his face.  He would run away.  Now if he decided that it was really go time, those cats would be in several pieces.

Now if we scale all the bird varieties to the same size, the game changes.  Off-hand I think I take a Blue Jay.

3 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

It was supposed to be an all-encompassing history thread with discussion on any topic.  I'm currently hooked on the American Revolution and I have about my next dozen books planned that will take me up to the Civil War.  I'm trying to hit every major historical figure and time leading up to about George W. Bush in American history, then I'll probably start on world history. 

That is going to take a very, very long time.  Or it will require a strict definition of who is a major historical figure.  Is Babe Ruth a major historical figure? How about Jackie Robinson? Elvis? They never held office, but they are far more influential and important than some Presidents, but it is very difficult to leave out someone that was President of the United States.

Just now, ThatJerkDave said:

That is going to take a very, very long time.  Or it will require a strict definition of who is a major historical figure.  Is Babe Ruth a major historical figure? How about Jackie Robinson? Elvis? They never held office, but they are far more influential and important than some Presidents, but it is very difficult to leave out someone that was President of the United States.

Only the ones who intrigue me.  I'm planning on reading at least one biography on each POTUS, and a lot of major figures (I have two on Benjamin Franklin), but I'm also planning on skipping some at least until I get up to present day history.  I could probably spend the next year reading up on patriots in the American Revolution alone.  I just read a semi-biography on Revere, but it had more to do with his ride and Lexington and Concord than him, so that's what I'm primarily looking for.  That perfect mix between biography and what was occurring at the time. 

I don't see myself reading any biographies whatsoever on sports figures.  Sports figures bore me to death.  Entertainers, too for the most part. 

4 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

He could just watch Bill and Ted. Lol

Not exclusively American though. ****.