This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

23 hours ago, Outpost31 said:

It was supposed to be an all-encompassing history thread with discussion on any topic.  I'm currently hooked on the American Revolution and I have about my next dozen books planned that will take me up to the Civil War.  I'm trying to hit every major historical figure and time leading up to about George W. Bush in American history, then I'll probably start on world history. 

How about the role of King Louis XVI and how his role supporting the American Revolution contributed to the French’s Revolution and his execution?

Just now, TheGreatZepp said:

How about the role of King Louis XVI and how his role supporting the American Revolution contributed to the French’s Revolution and his execution?

Eh, not really interested in pre-Revolution times right now.  That's kinda where I started on a whim (I started with McCoullough's 1776 after getting it at a thrift store and it got me hooked). 

Just now, sgtcheezwiz said:

What are the major historical times?  Either way commendable effort and great start. Just saying the major events had long periods of time consisting of smaller events that led to that major event. 

1776 (McCullough)
Almost A Miracle (Ferling)
Paul Revere's Ride (Fischer) (Finished this one, enjoyed it thoroughly)
2. Bunker Hill (Philbrick)  (Reading this one now)

Of the three I've read so far, Paul Revere's Ride was probably my favorite.  Almost A Miracle was fascinating, but a LOT of minutiae that really wasn't necessary.  1776 was like a lighter version of Almost A Miracle, but on only one year of the war.  I'm really enjoying Bunker Hill by Philbrick right now because it does an excellent job of portraying everything that led up to the war.  The tension, the little incidents nobody remembers, the attitudes and the people. 

Both Paul Revere's Ride and Bunker Hill are especially intriguing considering how much time they spend on Gage.  Gage is portrayed almost like a tragic figure in all of it as he constantly tried to do the right thing and uphold the rule of law while facing extreme pressure both from Britain and from patriots alike.  He really was placed in an absolutely impossible situation, and it seems like everything would have been different if not for his wife betraying him (this has not been confirmed, but it is strongly implied she gave invaluable information that led to us being more or less prepared for Lexington and Concord). 

3. Signing Their Lives Away (The Fame and Misfortune of the Men Who Signed The Declaration of Independence)
4. A Great Improvisation (Schiff)
5. Patriots (Langguth)
6. The Swamp Fox (Oller)
7. Washington (Chernow)
8. John Adams (McCullough)
9. The First American (The Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin)
10. Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power (Meacham)
11. The Constitution of the United States of America and Other Writings of the Founding Fathers
12. Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation (Ellis)

Those are the books that I have and what I am planning on reading in that order.  After that, I'm planning:

James Madison (haven't decided which one)
1812 (Borneman)
A Wilderness so Immense
Undaunted Courage
James Monroe - Gary Hart
The Alamo and the Texas War for Independence
A Wicked War

After those, I'm planning on hitting the following times.  Times with spaces between them I'm planning on spending at least half a dozen books on each to get as much as I can. 

Abraham Lincoln/Civil War

Andrew Johnson
Ulysses Grant
Battle of Little Bighorn
Rutherford Hayes
James Garfield
Chester Arthur
Grover Cleveland
Benjamin Harrison
Grover Cleveland
William McKinley (Spanish-American War)
Theodore Roosevelt
William Taft
Woodrow Wilson

WWI

Warren Harding
Calvin Coolidge
Herbert Hoover/Great Depression
Franklin Delano Roosevelt

WWII

Harry Truman
Cold War
Dwight Eisenhower

Killing Kennedy
JFK (Vietnam War, Cuban Missle Crisis, etc)
Lyndon B. Johnson
Civil Rights 1964

Richard Nixon
Watergate Scandal
Jimmy Carter
Ronald Reagan

Killing Reagan

Iran-Contra
George HW Bush (Gulf War)
Bill Clinton
George W. Bush

After all that, I'll probably read a couple more on things that particularly interested me.  That's probably going to take me up to 2021, so I'm not planning anymore than that just yet. 

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Outpost31 said:

1776 (McCullough)
Almost A Miracle (Ferling)
Paul Revere's Ride (Fischer) (Finished this one, enjoyed it thoroughly)
2. Bunker Hill (Philbrick)  (Reading this one now)

Of the three I've read so far, Paul Revere's Ride was probably my favorite.  Almost A Miracle was fascinating, but a LOT of minutiae that really wasn't necessary.  1776 was like a lighter version of Almost A Miracle, but on only one year of the war.  I'm really enjoying Bunker Hill by Philbrick right now because it does an excellent job of portraying everything that led up to the war.  The tension, the little incidents nobody remembers, the attitudes and the people. 

Both Paul Revere's Ride and Bunker Hill are especially intriguing considering how much time they spend on Gage.  Gage is portrayed almost like a tragic figure in all of it as he constantly tried to do the right thing and uphold the rule of law while facing extreme pressure both from Britain and from patriots alike.  He really was placed in an absolutely impossible situation, and it seems like everything would have been different if not for his wife betraying him (this has not been confirmed, but it is strongly implied she gave invaluable information that led to us being more or less prepared for Lexington and Concord). 

3. Signing Their Lives Away (The Fame and Misfortune of the Men Who Signed The Declaration of Independence)
4. A Great Improvisation (Schiff)
5. Patriots (Langguth)
6. The Swamp Fox (Oller)
7. Washington (Chernow)
8. John Adams (McCullough)
9. The First American (The Life and Times of Benjamin Franklin)
10. Thomas Jefferson: The Art of Power (Meacham)
11. The Constitution of the United States of America and Other Writings of the Founding Fathers
12. Founding Brothers: The Revolutionary Generation (Ellis)

Those are the books that I have and what I am planning on reading in that order.  After that, I'm planning:

James Madison (haven't decided which one)
1812 (Borneman)
A Wilderness so Immense
Undaunted Courage
James Monroe - Gary Hart
The Alamo and the Texas War for Independence
A Wicked War

After those, I'm planning on hitting the following times.  Times with spaces between them I'm planning on spending at least half a dozen books on each to get as much as I can. 

Abraham Lincoln/Civil War

Andrew Johnson
Ulysses Grant
Battle of Little Bighorn
Rutherford Hayes
James Garfield
Chester Arthur
Grover Cleveland
Benjamin Harrison
Grover Cleveland
William McKinley (Spanish-American War)
Theodore Roosevelt
William Taft
Woodrow Wilson

WWI

Warren Harding
Calvin Coolidge
Herbert Hoover/Great Depression
Franklin Delano Roosevelt

WWII

Harry Truman
Cold War
Dwight Eisenhower

Killing Kennedy
JFK (Vietnam War, Cuban Missle Crisis, etc)
Lyndon B. Johnson
Civil Rights 1964

Richard Nixon
Watergate Scandal
Jimmy Carter
Ronald Reagan

Killing Reagan

Iran-Contra
George HW Bush (Gulf War)
Bill Clinton
George W. Bush

After all that, I'll probably read a couple more on things that particularly interested me.  That's probably going to take me up to 2021, so I'm not planning anymore than that just yet. 

Quite the ambitious project! Glad to see somebody so interested by history. When I get a chance I’ll get some more titles together for your consideration. Studied a bit of the Antebellum period, Civil War/Reconstruction, Span Am War, interwar period of ‘isolation’, and the Cold War in school so can get you some of the ones I read off our reading lists if you’d like. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, sgtcheezwiz said:

Quite the ambitious project! Glad to see somebody so interested by history. When I get a chance I’ll get some more titles together for your consideration. Studied a bit of the Antebellum period, Civil War/Reconstruction, Span Am War, interwar period of ‘isolation’, and the Cold War in school so can get you some of the ones I read off our reading lists if you’d like. 

Yes, would appreciate very much.  

13 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Speaking of, have we had the conversation about the last episode of the last season? 

Am I being dramatic when I say the most shocking episode ever of any show?

I don't know how you can do the Land Rover like that. That was a finisher car. Where is the large amount of mountain bike gonna go?

11 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Has there ever been a single market with elite players in the major 3 leagues all playing at the same time better than Aaron, Giannis and Yeli?

Brady, a few of the redsox (Ortiz, Pedro, Pedrioa),  Garnett

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

We'll see, think I might take our group. Especially if Aaron ages like Brees and Brady and Yeli and Giannis continue the steep upward arch their careers are on.

Brady is  well above Rodgers.  Each of the others need to have some sustained success.  Giannis is certainly on that path.  Yelich will be hard to continue on that path.  TIme will tell.

12 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Has there ever been a single market with elite players in the major 3 leagues all playing at the same time better than Aaron, Giannis and Yeli?

I was thinking about that very thing last night when the fans were chanting "MVP. MVP. MVP."  Aaron and Yelli in the audience.  Giannis on the floor.  It is kind of amazing.

SO, Madden 19 was on sale for $15 in the playstation store, so I decided to buy it.  I haven't played Madden for somewhere between 10 and 15 years.  I do a dynasty mode, but I don't know if you can still do the fantasy draft, so all players are scrambled, so I just use the default Packers roster.  I create my new coach (the random computer generated guy it assigned) and start my dynasty.  I really like the GM mode.  I sim week-by-week and do my college scouting and player/coach upgrades.  There is a sim mode to the game where you can play key moments, I tried that against the Falcons.  On the first play it is 4th and 3 deep in Packers territory.  I jump in! I'm Nick Perry, who somehow isn't missing 4 ribs, a foot and 3/4ths of an arm by week 10 or whatever it was, and I try to switch guys and... I jump offsides and give them the automatic first down!  I blow a few offensive series and miss a FG, but manage to get deep in their territory with the game tied and make the go-ahead FG.  I sim out the rest of the games and continue scouting and upgrading.  Of course, the CPU is stupid as hell, and since I have the Packers and Saints' picks, I beat the Saints in the NFCC and win the Super Bowl.  I have picks 30 and 32.  It gets to the offseason, and I do a few FAs, but I kind of want to build up the young Packers and some of my draft picks.  I finalize my scouting, and put some players I liked on my draft board, just to keep an eye on them.  I try to go to the draft week and accidentally sim the draft too.  So not only do I not get to do my draft, I am also picking some of these guys on my list way above their value because I just put players on the list, no order, to keep an eye on them.  I got one guy that I really wanted, a pass rusher from Mizzou with pick 30.  I probably had to use one of my firsts to get him, he was an early 2 grade.  Then I drafted like a 4th round safety, 3 OL and 2 FBs because they were on my list.  

TL:DR  I suck at Madden.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

SO, Madden 19 was on sale for $15 in the playstation store, so I decided to buy it.  I haven't played Madden for somewhere between 10 and 15 years.  I do a dynasty mode, but I don't know if you can still do the fantasy draft, so all players are scrambled, so I just use the default Packers roster. 

I create my new coach (the random computer generated guy it assigned) and start my dynasty.  I really like the GM mode.  I sim week-by-week and do my college scouting and player/coach upgrades.  There is a sim mode to the game where you can play key moments, I tried that against the Falcons. 

On the first play it is 4th and 3 deep in Packers territory.  I jump in! I'm Nick Perry, who somehow isn't missing 4 ribs, a foot and 3/4ths of an arm by week 10 or whatever it was, and I try to switch guys and... I jump offsides and give them the automatic first down!  I blow a few offensive series and miss a FG, but manage to get deep in their territory with the game tied and make the go-ahead FG.  I sim out the rest of the games and continue scouting and upgrading. 

Of course, the CPU is stupid as hell, and since I have the Packers and Saints' picks, I beat the Saints in the NFCC and win the Super Bowl.  I have picks 30 and 32.  It gets to the offseason, and I do a few FAs, but I kind of want to build up the young Packers and some of my draft picks. 

I finalize my scouting, and put some players I liked on my draft board, just to keep an eye on them.  I try to go to the draft week and accidentally sim the draft too.  So not only do I not get to do my draft, I am also picking some of these guys on my list way above their value because I just put players on the list, no order, to keep an eye on them. 

I got one guy that I really wanted, a pass rusher from Mizzou with pick 30.  I probably had to use one of my firsts to get him, he was an early 2 grade.  Then I drafted like a 4th round safety, 3 OL and 2 FBs because they were on my list.  

TL:DR  I suck at Madden.