This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

1 hour ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Why do you want to kill moss? It looks really pretty, and you don't have to mow it.  

As far as I can remember, moss does pretty poorly if it gets direct sunlight...  Cut down all trees!

I don't mind it in the back part of the yard next to the forest.  But it has no place in the front yard!

I know bleach will kill it, as I killed the moss growing on my little gravel path.  But bleach will kill everything else, too.

I'm thinking I read somewhere that lime was pretty good for a lawn.  Probably have to research it more.

And yah, I'm taking the tree trimmer and chainsaw north in June to do some trimming.  And I'm really going to enjoy that.

1 hour ago, Norm said:

Time to go all in when I get home and see what else I can make of this day 

That's a big risk.  Why not preserve the day and experience hand job satisfaction.  Win Win .

Then go for the bonus round.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I don't mind it in the back part of the yard next to the forest.  But it has no place in the front yard! I know bleach will kill it, as I killed the moss growing on my little gravel path.  But bleach will kill everything else, too. I'm thinking I read somewhere that lime was pretty good for a lawn.  Probably have to research it more. And yah, I'm taking the tree trimmer and chainsaw north in June to do some trimming.  And I'm really going to enjoy that.

How big a patch is there?

How 'bout the old fashioned way? A shovel, some fill dirt and grass plugs?
Done in a matter of minutes w/o any chemicals that have to be overcome to facilitate new growth.

Funny - a friend sent me some pics recently of him drilling a hole into a stump into which we was going to insert a funnel and pour some chemicals with intent to kill the stump. About a month later it's supposedly dead and "flammable." He had all sorts of tools and devices lying about............

I look at it and see something I could take out of the ground in a couple hours (tops) with an axe depending on how hot it is.

18 minutes ago, Leader said:

Done in a matter of minutes w/o any chemicals that have to be overcome to facilitate new growth.

Funny - a friend sent me some pics recently of him drilling a hole into a stump into which we was going to insert a funnel and pour some chemicals with intent to kill the stump. About a month later it's supposedly dead and "flammable." He had all sorts of tools and devices lying about............

I look at it and see something I could take out of the ground in a couple hours (tops) with an axe depending on how hot it is.

Patch is maybe 3 feet by 4 feet in size.  It's not very big, but neither is my yard up there.

I took moss out that way last year.  Got grass started in the spots and the moss came back.

Probably need to prune some branches first, then remove it and try again.  Maybe put a little more soil down first.

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Patch is maybe 3 feet by 4 feet in size.  It's not very big, but neither is my yard up there.

I took moss out that way last year.  Got grass started in the spots and the moss came back.

Probably need to prune some branches first, then remove it and try again.  Maybe put a little more soil down first.

Moss grows from spores (as opposed to roots) so perhaps you need to dig a deeper hole (i.e. get rid of more of the stuff there) - fill it in and patch it. Dont know / cant say. If there's a herbicide that you could put down that would do the trick (and not run off into some other water...) perhaps thats the way to go.

Not sure how long the growing period is up there....but the herbicide route might discount something growing/filling the area this year. Dont know what products are available to do something like that.

A wetlands abuts on to my property and I pull water from a well - so, I dont put stuff on the ground that could come back to me via the kitchen sink.

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I don't mind it in the back part of the yard next to the forest.  But it has no place in the front yard!

I know bleach will kill it, as I killed the moss growing on my little gravel path.  But bleach will kill everything else, too.

I'm thinking I read somewhere that lime was pretty good for a lawn.  Probably have to research it more.

And yah, I'm taking the tree trimmer and chainsaw north in June to do some trimming.  And I'm really going to enjoy that.

Lime increases the ph of the soil making it less acidic. Most Wisconsin grasses like a neutral ph and if soil gets to acidic the grass struggles to get nutrients from the soil.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

“Stump out”

5 hours ago, Shanedorf said:

Don't forget the Upper Peninsula - it used to be a part of WI until congress swiped it away.
Mr. Rogers points to this as a seminal moment in WI history

fredrogersmiddlefinger.jpg

Hard to imagine anyone fighting over WANTING Toledo and that the peninsula was the constellation prize 

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I was going to get that Triple Action stuff this year....but Fleet Farm was sold out, so I went with ole reliable in Turf Builder.

I did also get some Scotts that has seed, fertilizer and soil all in one bag.  I have that down in a few spots that needed help.  Hoping it works as well as their Easy Seed, which is another great Scott's product!

Did you try that Triple Action stuff?  I am curious about it.

And...for any yard guys out there.  I have a little moss growing in a spot or two up north.  Am I remembering it correctly that lime kills moss?

I haven’t tried the Triple Action yet but have heard good things, I like that it has the pre emergent in it.

27 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

“Stump out”

Is that the stuff? I'd never heard of it.
My stump out has always been an axe and a shoulder work out.
My method came back to bite me a bit however......
I'd had a stand of tall pine trees taken down for fear a hurricane could topple them on to the house. I "passed" on having the crew take the stumps out....figuring I'd do it myself with relative ease.

Well...I learned that hacking away at pine stumps....even when well dead....was no easy chore because of all the creosote they contain - and that holds it together like glue!

So....I changed things up a bit and decided NOT to kill myself removing these things....but rather to chip away at them periodically and use those chips as fire starter. I turned madness into functional method :)

Oh yea, pine stumps are a pain. I was clearing 30x20 area of pines up north to make additional tent/camper space... what a pain that was! After a half dozen or so by hand, I developed a technique using a chain saw, ax and come come-alongs. Still a back breaking weekend

• Like 1

I've taken out 4 stumps in the past two years.  Pain in the you know what.

Best thing I've found is a shovel to dig around the stump, pry bar (the big/long one) and a Sawz-All with a wood blade.  Get under the roots with the pry bar, cut them as best you can, then lift it out.

I've tried that Stump Kill stuff, not a fan.

3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I've taken out 4 stumps in the past two years.  Pain in the you know what.

Best thing I've found is a shovel to dig around the stump, pry bar (the big/long one) and a Sawz-All with a wood blade.  Get under the roots with the pry bar, cut them as best you can, then lift it out.

I've tried that Stump Kill stuff, not a fan.

I use an ax on the big roots, a long handle cutter on the smaller ones.   Sawz-all sounds like a nice improvement.  I will have to try that.

I hate it when my wife has a stump to dig out- I go through a long period while working on it where I keep thinking it isn't coming out, but when it finally starts to move it becomes exciting, and when it finally comes out it gives a great feeling of accomplishment.