This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

13 minutes ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:
3 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I've taken out 4 stumps in the past two years.  Pain in the you know what.

Best thing I've found is a shovel to dig around the stump, pry bar (the big/long one) and a Sawz-All with a wood blade.  Get under the roots with the pry bar, cut them as best you can, then lift it out.

I've tried that Stump Kill stuff, not a fan.

I use an ax on the big roots, a long handle cutter on the smaller ones.   Sawz-all sounds like a nice improvement.  I will have to try that.

I hate it when my wife has a stump to dig out- I go through a long period while working on it where I keep thinking it isn't coming out, but when it finally starts to move it becomes exciting, and when it finally comes out it gives a great feeling of accomplishment.

Have also taken the sawz-all approach with success. Just have to stay on top of the inevitable shoots that pop up from the main roots that remain.

3 hours ago, ThatJerkDave said:

Bulldozer is the best stump remover

I took down two good sized trees in the backyard some years back. Needed to get them out of the ground in order to put a pool in. One of them - the oak - was a good size. Cant tell you exactly how big it was - but I'd guesstimate the trunk diameter to be around 30"? Never actually measured it.

In any case, using my ladder I could get up to where the trunk split off into smaller trunks with my chainsaw - so thats where I attacked.

Got it down to....about a 12' trunk with no top left - built up a *huge* pile for the fireplace and had wood (in the form of branches) everywhere....and I mean everywhere.  

My neighbor came over with his tractor and "pushed" the trunk down/lower so I could work on that section.

Not sure if I could have handled the 12' trunk w/o my neighbor's assistance. Since the diameter was greater than my blades length - cutting it while vertical...would have been challenging. I would have tried...but it wouldnt have been nearly as easy as when the trunk was (relatively) horizontal.

Finally, called in a company that ground the trunk and roots up. Done.

32 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Have also taken the sawz-all approach with success. Just have to stay on top of the inevitable shoots that pop up from the main roots that remain.

Kinda depends on the tree. Box elders are annnoying. Practically have to call your nephew Iolaus from Hercules Tree Service to keep those things from growing back. 

1 hour ago, Ragnar Danneskjold said:

I use an ax on the big roots, a long handle cutter on the smaller ones.   Sawz-all sounds like a nice improvement.  I will have to try that.

I hate it when my wife has a stump to dig out- I go through a long period while working on it where I keep thinking it isn't coming out, but when it finally starts to move it becomes exciting, and when it finally comes out it gives a great feeling of accomplishment.

So...tell on yourself.  How many f-bombs are dropped before that thing moves?

Every time I fight a stump, I feel like the old man in "A Christmas Story" fighting with the furnace.

And...I've got one I need to get out yet this spring...not looking forward to it.

53 minutes ago, Leader said:

I took down two good sized trees in the backyard some years back. Needed to get them out of the ground in order to put a pool in. One of them - the oak - was a good size. Cant tell you exactly how big it was - but I'd guesstimate the trunk diameter to be around 30"? Never actually measured it.

In any case, using my ladder I could get up to where the trunk split off into smaller trunks with my chainsaw - so thats where I attacked.

Got it down to....about a 12' trunk with no top left - built up a *huge* pile for the fireplace and had wood (in the form of branches) everywhere....and I mean everywhere.  

My neighbor came over with his tractor and "pushed" the trunk down/lower so I could work on that section.

Not sure if I could have handled the 12' trunk w/o my neighbor's assistance. Since the diameter was greater than my blades length - cutting it while vertical...would have been challenging. I would have tried...but it wouldnt have been nearly as easy as when the trunk was (relatively) horizontal.

Finally, called in a company that ground the trunk and roots up. Done.

I feel yah.  I had an enormous old oak in my backyard.  Thing was getting hollowed out from the inside, dropping branches...etc.  Had to take it down.  I had a service come in and do that one, guessing the trunk was also thirty inches, maybe a touch bigger.

It was one of two trees in my backyard.  The service did grind the stump out, along with the roots.

I dug out all of the wood chips and found that they ground down about 8 inches.  I got the biggest drill bit I could buy, put it in my Milwaukee Fuel Drill and drilled about a thousand holes into that thing, ground it down that way.  Used the Sawz All to get out some chunks and in about a day and a half, I was down about 14 inches.  

I poured in some Stump Rot, let it sink in, then tried to light a fire.  Nothing.  Now I had a dilemma.  Cover with dirt and seed?  Naw.  I got a bunch of granite boulders and built a gorgeous firepit.  Two levels of stone.  And it is gorgeous.  And very large.  Now I burn leaves in it, sticks and have some nice wood fires at night.

Taking that tree out was great, grass improved and the fire pit really improved the look of the backyard.

It was one of the rare times that something I see in my head I'm actually able to nail in reality....landscaping wise.

5 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

then tried to light a fire.

that's what we did on our massive stump and it worked great.
Started the fire on Friday afternoon, kept it going till Sunday night and we went through a lot of beer along the way
Apparently, beer is the key to success in most outdoor endeavors

Neighbor had 4 HUGE maples cut down and instead of removing the stumps ground them down. This was about 15 years ago, now the stumps are rotting under the soil and he has a chronic mushroom problem where all stumps were as well a noticeable sink in of 4-6 inches where each stump was...

If you can burn in your neighborhood, a stump is a great place to have fires.  It may not completely go after the firs one, but it will help. I still say that the easiest way is to take the stump down pretty short and push it with a big tractor with a blade.  It will rip out a huge section of the trunk and roots from the ground.  

48 minutes ago, Norm said:

I just traded Rodgers to the Vikings in Madden.

Atta boy. I think the theme this year for Aaron should be “The Zero Respect Tour”.

Any success he has will be due to luck or his superior receiving corps, valued only for its positive impact on his trade compensation.

When blatant disrespect hits critical mass, Godgers returns at Denzel-level awesome. 

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Whole lot of not using tannerite for stump removal in this thread. 

Whole lot of not renting a stump-grinder in this thread.  Or hire a stump-grinding contractor for a few hunskie and in a few hours it's done. I'm lazy that way.