This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

Do people actually think quarantining until fall/winter when vaccines come online is actually a viable option? You might as well sign a death warrant for the entire locally owned non-essential businesses in this country, and even some chains. Bars, bowling alleys, non essential retail, restaurants, theatres, gyms, and on down the list. It's not an option to me. 

There's no winning situation with this, its lose-lose. The only viable option to me is a controlled push toward herd immunity. 65+ and the immune system compromised should still be completely quarantined for months while the low risk group begins to venture back out into the communities with some restrictions in place to limit fast paced spread. 

Have to balance allowing people their right to maintain their possessions while not going haywire and acting like everything is fine. There's no winning though, bad things are going to happen regardless of what route is picked.

• Like 3

Just now, Packerraymond said:

Do people actually think quarantining until fall/winter when vaccines come online is actually a viable option? You might as well sign a death warrant for the entire locally owned non-essential businesses in this country, and even some chains. Bars, bowling alleys, non essential retail, restaurants, theatres, gyms, and on down the list. It's not an option to me. 

There's no winning situation with this, its lose-lose. The only viable option to me is a controlled push toward herd immunity. 65+ and the immune system compromised should still be completely quarantined for months while the low risk group begins to venture back out into the communities with some restrictions in place to limit fast paced spread. 

Have to balance allowing people their right to maintain their possessions while not going haywire and acting like everything is fine. There's no winning though, bad things are going to happen regardless of what route is picked.

The issue is people are still going out and not wearing protection NOW. So when they relax the rules, they will have to institute wearing a mask with a fine attached if you don't. Like you said, it isn't realistic to keep things locked for much longer, but when they loosen up quarantine, they have to follow through with placing rules that will try to prevent the spread. 

Times like this you'd like to see less state control and more federal enforcement (I don't live in the US)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

The issue is people are still going out and not wearing protection NOW. So when they relax the rules, they will have to institute wearing a mask with a fine attached if you don't. Like you said, it isn't realistic to keep things locked for much longer, but when they loosen up quarantine, they have to follow through with placing rules that will try to prevent the spread. 

Times like this you'd like to see less state control and more federal enforcement (I don't live in the US)

Most local ordinances enforced a brief stay of the stay at home order here in the state while new restrictions are put in place. While the joke that is American media will paint a picture like Wisconsin is the wild wild west last night because like 1% of the bars opened last night and people went.

As far as the masks, is what it is. People's actions and mindsets are more effective to stop the spread than masks anyway. If you don't wash your hands, touch a bunch of stuff at the store while wearing your mask, what did you really do to help? There's idiots in every society and there always will be. Problem now is the idiots get exposure and are painted to be the masses while most of us shrug our shoulders and ignore the coverage.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I very much disagree with this. Give more power to your local governments. The vacant midwest should not be operated like the NE or California. In SD/ND (as is my only "expertise") Sioux Falls /Fargo mayors should have the option to keep to quarantine, but the rest of the state really isnt going to be as effected by this. Its very easy to social distance in 99% of those states. Many small business' are on the verge in towns that were already struggling pre quarantine.

We'll see what happens to Texas, they'll give us the wide open stats while Cali will give us the tine stats.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

The CDC has released guidelines on when we should open things. That’s what we should follow.

22 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I very much disagree with this. Give more power to your local governments. The vacant midwest should not be operated like the NE or California. In SD/ND (as is my only "expertise") Sioux Falls /Fargo mayors should have the option to keep to quarantine, but the rest of the state really isnt going to be as effected by this. Its very easy to social distance in 99% of those states. Many small business' are on the verge in towns that were already struggling pre quarantine.

We'll see what happens to Texas, they'll give us the wide open stats while Cali will give us the tine stats.

It's a tricky situation that needs some balance. Some of these Governors are over-stepping and running rough-shot over their constituents, some for the sake of political gain. Michigan is a big example of this right now. For a while Whitmer was threatening to arrest people for going fishing or having their lawns cut. Stuff is completely out of control. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I don't disagree with some of this, but look at Florida lol. Will be interesting to see how their situation evolve. 

Though under current leadership it is maybe best that it is in the hands of the states

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Yes, there at A LOT of people who believe this. It's insane. 

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

I think hoping that a vaccine will be ready for human use by fall/winter is more ambitious lol

Edited by JBURGE

2 minutes ago, JBURGE said:

I think hoping that a vaccine will be ready for human use by fall/winter is more ambitious lol

IMO, there won't be a vaccine until, at best, mid next-year. Until then, we have to start to open up. The goal from the beginning of this lock down was to "flatten the curve" which most states have done. Now, all the sudden, some states are moving the goalposts as an excuse to keep things shut down.  

• Like 1

The people expecting to keep things shut down indefinitely are the ones that believed their own propaganda.

The maximum way to emphasize current leadership is incompetent is by acting like the current response is inadequate. The more severe the situation is, the more the current response looks inadequate. 

The problem is that the situation isn't that dire, and they've convinced themselves that it is. 

The people acting like an indefinite shutdown should be enacted are also the ones still cashing checks and able to work from home where a ton of people are hurting badly. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

A lot of people are scared and the amount of misinformation feeds that fear.  The things people believe or re-tweet is astounding.  There has been a huge movement of ignoring science from the very top to the masses.  My wife is an RN and my daughter is a BioChemist who works with Covid 19 everyday.  They tell me that we still know very little about this strain of virus, very little.  It affects people in so many different ways and it seems to have side effects that can linger.

This is NOT just another flu.  This is not explained away easily.  I know things need to move forward, but the cavalier attitude some have will make it harder than it has to be.  Please don't compare the U.S. to Sweden unless you want to make the argument for socialized medicine.  Thanks.

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Please don't compare the U.S. to Sweden unless you want to make the argument for socialized medicine.  Thanks.

...and they re-opened only to have a second wave of sorts.

I hate it when anyone compares us to the European states on whatever topic is being discussed. You're comparing apples-n-oranges due to size.

3 minutes ago, Joe said:

...and they re-opened only to have a second wave of sorts.

I hate it when anyone compares us to the European states on whatever topic is being discussed. You're comparing apples-n-oranges due to size.

Apples and oranges are roughly the same size.