This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

1 minute ago, incognito_man said:

we have?

Actually just checked, 5 of 6, the last one we haven't met is not Covid related but a lack of people testing for the flu or flu like symptoms. Still 5/6, not like we're just willy nilly doing this without hitting the marks.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This is the biggest truth right here. Of the people I know who are up in arms about the decision, all of them have been able to work from home and actually pocket more money due to the stimulus and lack of things to due leading to more savings, less spending. If they owned their own restaurant or gym that their entire life depended on, they probably would have a different tude.

Everyone said this time would make us all more understanding and empathetic. Nope, everyone's still a jack-

Most of the people I know who are concerned about opening too early are health care workers (still cashin' their checks, albeit lower ones because health care facilities are also hemorrhaging monies now too).

Just now, Shanedorf said:

I think you forgot the word "YET"

I am not aware of anything exceptional about you or your area that will magically protect you from infection.
So its probably a little early for the victory parade. I genuinely hope it works out OK for everybody, but I wouldn't bet on it  

Natural social distancing. Treating suburbs and rural areas like they're cities is my biggest gripe with this whole thing. There are still 4 rural counties that have no positive tests.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

Actually just checked, 5 of 6, the last one we haven't met is not Covid related but a lack of people testing for the flu or flu like symptoms. Still 5/6, not like we're just willy nilly doing this without hitting the marks.

That's also Ever's WI-centric plan, not the CDC plan IIRC.

I don't even know what the phase 1 criteria are from the CDC

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Do people actually think quarantining until fall/winter when vaccines come online is actually a viable option? You might as well sign a death warrant for the entire locally owned non-essential businesses in this country, and even some chains. Bars, bowling alleys, non essential retail, restaurants, theatres, gyms, and on down the list. It's not an option to me. 

There's no winning situation with this, its lose-lose. The only viable option to me is a controlled push toward herd immunity. 65+ and the immune system compromised should still be completely quarantined for months while the low risk group begins to venture back out into the communities with some restrictions in place to limit fast paced spread. 

Have to balance allowing people their right to maintain their possessions while not going haywire and acting like everything is fine. There's no winning though, bad things are going to happen regardless of what route is picked.

Herd immunity means that 1% of the population is gonna die. Spain, one of the most affected countries has 5-6% of infected people only despite having such a ****ty situation. And we had a total lockdown for a month, our current quarantine situation is similar to your total lockdown. Reaching the herd immunity would require repeating the same process a dozen times. Oh, and people get infected after herd immunity. Besides, the immunity might last only a few months, so it's not the kind of thing you can easily do.

Just now, incognito_man said:

Most of the people I know who are concerned about opening too early are health care workers (still cashin' their checks, albeit lower ones because health care facilities are also hemorrhaging monies now too).

Completely understand, this is where it's a lose lose situation. Their jobs are going to be hell for awhile and I empathize with that. Still can't tell a restaurant or gym owner, sorry your business will have to be sacrificed because of this, don't care that it was the means you used to feed and house your family.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

I think you forgot the word "YET"

I am not aware of anything exceptional about you or your area that will magically protect you from infection.
So its probably a little early for the victory parade. I genuinely hope it works out OK for everybody, but I wouldn't bet on it  

Yah sure, let's just sit in our house, not work, watch our friend's businesses go under maybe waiting for it to go away.   Didn't say a darn thing about a victory parade ... that's your take.  I also hope it works out ok but it's time to start moving forward. 

4 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

I also know health care workers who are laid off due to their  local hospitals not having 1 covid patient but they still can't do routine operations and such.  

15 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

You can make facts determine your way of thinking just like I can.    I'm acknowledging the virus is here but so different in most areas of the state.  5 counties out of 72 have 80% of the cases.  In central and northern Wis there is NOT the issue like Milwaukee, Madison and Green Bay where there the meat packing plants have the vast majority of contacts.  The one glove fits all theory mandating all people/business in the state have to stay home and closed aint going to cut it and the Wis Supreme Court agrees.  

Though I don't live in the state anymore, if find it incredibly ironic that the WSC voted to overthrow the Governor's decree FROM THE COMFORT OF THEIR HOMES!

C'mon, admit it...that's effing ironic.

Just now, coachbuns said:

Yah sure, let's just sit in our house, not work, watch our friend's businesses go under maybe waiting for it to go away.   Didn't say a darn thing about a victory parade ... that's your take.  I also hope it works out ok but it's time to start moving forward. 

what you fail to see is that moving forward too soon and/or without proper procedures in place will result in everyone (including your friends whose businesses are hurting) to be even worse off.

Would you rather:

Have your friend wait another 2 months to re-open OR
Let your friend re-open now, but then have to close again in 3 months for another 3 months, re-open too early and repeat

Your fallacy is that re-opening sooner is better for your friends' businesses. That is an assumption without merit.

In the Spanish Flu of 1918, the second wave was a lot worse than the first.  The real question is "what are we going to do to mitigate the harm of the second wave in the fall or whenever".

I still don't plan on being within 6' of other humans any time soon.

8 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

what you fail to see is that moving forward too soon and/or without proper procedures in place will result in everyone (including your friends whose businesses are hurting) to be even worse off.

Would you rather:

Have your friend wait another 2 months to re-open OR
Let your friend re-open now, but then have to close again in 3 months for another 3 months, re-open too early and repeat

Your fallacy is that re-opening sooner is better for your friends' businesses. That is an assumption without merit.

What you fail to see ... you don't have a clue on owning a business or having employees depending on you.  What you don't understand in 2 months most won't have their business.  Over 100,000 small businesses in the US are already not reopening.  Your fallacy is thinking we can all all wait 2 months,  whats another 2 months.  Your assumption doesn't mean squat to me or my friends losing their business/life savings along with their employees.  I'll take the chance of reopening and MAYBE getting the virus vs losing the business by waiting "just" another 2 months.  

Edited by coachbuns

I feel like for a lot of businesses "reopening" is going to kill them faster since people aren't going to, like, "go to restaurants" even if they are open for dine-in.

After all, restaurant business was way down *before* they were mandated to close their doors- when people were avoiding them purely voluntarily.

Edited by PossibleCabbage

3 minutes ago, coachbuns said:

Doesn't matter, most in 2 months won't have their business.  Over 100,000 small businesses in the US are already not reopening.  Your fallacy is you probably don't own a business and can think why not wait another 2 months.  Your assumption doesn't mean squat to me or my friends losing their business/life savings along with their employees.  I'll take the chance of reopening and MAYBE getting the virus vs losing the business by waiting just another 2 months.  

I'm not making any assumptions. 

the trouble with rural areas is that they are lower risk of infection, but much higher risk of dire situation if infection does hit. Around here, a lot of rural areas have like single digit ICU beds for the whole county. If a retirement home in one of those counties gets hit, they’re horse****ed