This Aint Packers Talk v69

CWood21

51 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

South Minneapolis has turned into a war zone.  Buildings on fire, out of control looting.  Business owners shooting would be looters.

This is just f**king crazy.

Are things still calm in Farmington?

I don't know if any of you have followed this at all, but now the looters have hopped on the light-rail system and are destroying Target stores in St. Paul.

Most of Lake Street in Minneapolis is trashed, they burned down an AutoZone store and Wendys across the street from the police precinct. The 3rd Precinct is boarded up covered in graffiti.   The swat squad at the Mall of America is on alert. 

19 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

I don't know if any of you have followed this at all, but now the looters have hopped on the light-rail system and are destroying Target stores in St. Paul.

Most of Lake Street in Minneapolis is trashed, they burned down an AutoZone store and Wendys across the street from the police precinct. The 3rd Precinct is boarded up covered in graffiti.   The swat squad at the Mall of America is on alert. 

Ive come across some people justifying the looting. It's insane to me. Whats the Target affiliation? Big police backers or something?

Also i dont want this to get anywhere near political so if anyone is trying to stear this post that way. Go away. 

Edited by HighCalebR

1 hour ago, Dubz41 said:

Leave Wendy out of this! She's innocent.

6 hours ago, HighCalebR said:

Ive come across some people justifying the looting. It's insane to me. Whats the Target affiliation? Big police backers or something?

Also i dont want this to get anywhere near political so if anyone is trying to stear this post that way. Go away. 

I don't think it's that deep. People with no regard for the law see an opportunity to have free stuff and pounce on it. A person was tragically killed and people who cared started protesting, most doing so peacefully (some not). Then a whole bunch of other people who don't care about Floyd and probably don't even know his name, started looting and burning down their surrounding communities because it was convenient and no one was there to stop them. Same story, different day.  

Edited by packfanfb

24 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I don't think it's that deep. People with no regard for the law see an opportunity to have free stuff and pounce on it. A person was tragically killed and people who cared started protesting, most doing so peacefully (some not). Then a whole bunch of other people who don't care about Lloyd and probably don't even know his name, started looting and burning down their surrounding communities because it was convenient and no one was there to stop them. Same story, different day.  

Not quite that simple.  They (hoodlums) traveled east to St. Paul to attack another Target store, they were thwarted there and proceeded north into Roseville and attempted another looting of another Target store. Those two stores are miles apart with plenty of easier targets (no pun intended) in between. That's just effin' bizarre!  It was a group of 50-60.  Now, the retail stores are closing up and boarding up.  We're waiting for the Gov to call out the National Guard. (Minneapolis Mayor requested last night).  Lloyd's girlfriend and minority leadership are condemning the looters, but there are calls for more protests this evening.  Crazy **** man!

Edited by Dubz41

4 hours ago, Uffdaswede said:

Are things still calm in Farmington?

3 hours ago, Dubz41 said:

Hell no! That's where my daughter's boyfriend lives.  They've quit 'social distancing' at the Steakhouse!

I ask because I was born in SE minny and then lived in Farmington until I was about seven. I know what a bucolic little backwater it is--though it seems to have added some commuter subdivisions over the years. Unless Farmington has a Target store she just might weather the storm.

The incident that instigated the unrest bothers me a great deal. If you remember the South Carolina cop that shot a black man for fleeing after a traffic stop, the Minneapolis situation feels similar. Then there was the female cop in Texas that shot a black man sitting in his own apartment because SHE went to his apartment instead of hers. Everyone remembers the poor fat dude in NY being choked out for selling cigarettes one at a time. Also in Minnesota there was the officer that shot a black man during a traffic stop; he confessed to having a legal weapon in his vehicle and the officer became unglued, gave confusing directions and then popped him.

I think we all support police generally and understand the dangers and constant irritations they face. And a handful of bad shootings and deadly beatings are cherry-picked anecdotals that aren't representative of thousands of intense police interactions that demonstrate restraint and prudence. The only thing to say is that there has to be a limit to how much protection a blue uniform gives you when your actions are unsupported by policy, training, or the law and your actions cause the death of another. The aggrieved community dealing out the damage and lawless behavior in Minnesota now is failed by an absence of true leadership and poisoned by politicians. Sadly, we seem miles away from being honest about root problems and actual solutions to crime and poverty culture, and miles away from escaping the entrenched systems that fail people.

Edited by Uffdaswede
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Uffdaswede said:

I ask because I was born in SE minny and then lived in Farmington until I was about seven. I know what a bucolic little backwater it is--though it seems to have added some commuter subdivisions over the years. Unless Farmington has a Target store she just might weather the storm.

The incident that instigated the unrest bothers me a great deal. If you remember the South Carolina cop that shot a black man for fleeing after a traffic stop, the Minneapolis situation feels similar. Then there was the female cop in Texas that shot a black man sitting in his own apartment because SHE went to his apartment instead of hers. Everyone remembers the poor fat dude in NY being choked out for selling cigarettes one at a time. Also in Minnesota there was the officer that shot a black man during a traffic stop; he confessed to having a legal weapon in his vehicle and the officer became unglued, gave confusing directions and then popped him.

I think we all support police generally and understand the dangers and constant irritations they face. And a handful of bad shootings and deadly beatings are cherry-picked anecdotals that aren't representative of thousands of intense police interactions that demonstrate restraint and prudence. The only thing to say is that there has to be a limit to how much protection a blue uniform gives you when your actions are unsupported by policy, training, or the law and your actions cause the death of another. The aggrieved community dealing out the damage and lawless behavior in Minnesota now is failed by an absence of true leadership and poisoned by politicians. Sadly, we seem miles away from being honest about root problems and actual solutions to crime and poverty culture, and miles away from escaping the entrenched systems that fail people.

The South Carolina shooter got convicted

The Texas shooter got convicted.

The New York officer with the choke hold was fired but the Feds didn't press charges due to the ME citing that obesity, heart disease, and asthma as contributing factors.

This Minnesota officer is almost definitely going to catch a Murder 2 charge for this. And all 4 have been fired already

For all the complaints about the handling of these cases, what can you do to send a stronger message to police that they can't do this stuff other than sending offenders to jail?

6 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

The New York officer with the choke hold was fired but the Feds didn't press charges due to the ME citing that obesity, heart disease, and asthma as contributing factors.

This Minnesota officer is almost definitely going to catch a Murder 2 charge for this. And all 4 have been fired already

For all the complaints about the handling of these cases, what can you do to send a stronger message to police that they can't do this stuff other than sending offenders to jail?

You can loot Target, for one.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Point well-taken. I refer to them as they are cases that make me cringe because i want so much for the cops to truly be the good guys, and the incidents feed into a cultural narrative for others that isn't necessarily true overall. The fact that officers almost always are held accountable is rarely covered as closely, of course.

We have a problem in this country with the math of the matter, in that we don't see the denominator of the many many professional interactions between police and citizens while we do see the numerator of the ugly, publicized incidents.

1 hour ago, Uffdaswede said:

^ Is that headline a little less than PC?

But maybe I'm a mental midget. And I mean that in the complimentary use of the term.

oh yes.  The story is hilarious.  Apparently the guy and the midget family were friends.  But then the midget mother yelled at him for putting a ton of rat poison out.  He then completely flips on them, over the course of a few days, with anti-midget stuff, and racism toward the half-black daughter, finally concluding with him spray painting a yellow line from their door down the street.  :D