Monday Night Football - LA Chargers @ Denver

ET80

Who wins?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Denver
    • LA Chargers

On 9/12/2017 at 2:07 AM, game3525 said:

Everyone is going to talk about the kick. But the Chargers offensive game plan in the first three quarters was awful. I know Denver has a top 5 defense in the league, but you can't play that conservatively and expect to win.

Granted, I get why they did it. But still, Phil only threw like 12 passes in the first half...

Its easy to see what they were trying to do as it was everybodies gameplan last year to beat Denver.  Run the ball up the middle since they didnt replace Malik Jackson to stop the run and throw to TEs. It took them 3qtrs to realize the Broncos solved (I hope) their run stopping issue in the middle with Gotsis/Peko. Then they had to start airing it out and got a bunch of help from the officials on no calls and called PIs.

The officials were force feeding momentum down the Chargers throats **ducks*

But seriously how was that not called pass interference.

no-pi-mnf.gif?w=1000

8 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Its easy to see what they were trying to do as it was everybodies gameplan last year to beat Denver.  Run the ball up the middle since they didnt replace Malik Jackson to stop the run and throw to TEs. It took them 3qtrs to realize the Broncos solved (I hope) their run stopping issue in the middle with Gotsis/Peko. Then they had to start airing it out and got a bunch of help from the officials on no calls and called PIs.

no-pi-mnf.gif?w=1000

If I'm not mistaken engaged behind the LOS there's a lot more liberty granted to defenders.

http://www.nfl.com/rulebook/passinterference

Note 4: There can be no pass interference at or behind the line of scrimmage, but defensive actions such as tackling a receiver can still result in a 5-yard penalty for defensive holding, if accepted. 

Now that could have qualified as defensive holding but refs don't often don't call defensive holding because it looks like the receiver and defender might be blocking each other.   DPI doesn't apply if the receiver is behind the LOS.  That's the only justification I can see. It's another reason why I hate plays behind the LoS that aren't designed screen plays.  

9 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

no-pi-mnf.gif?w=1000

Because its within 5 yards of the LOS? 

19 hours ago, The LBC said:

Playcalling for the Chargers is a bit suspect.  I get maybe being tenuous opening the season on the road against a division rival and a great defense, but to not even attempt the tried and true method that others (including the Chargers) have used in the past to move the ball against Denver (i.e. intermediate routes by the TE's) is more than questionable.

Also, I'm still trying to figure out why Hayes Pullard was on the field so much.  I haven't seen any kind of report suggesting an injury to one of the other LB's and Pullard just plain isn't that good.

Broncos caught Bosa and Ingram in the habit of overpursuing A LOT and Bradley never really made an adjustment.  And that part exposed that the Chargers badly need a better option at interior rusher (they should have been all over that same deal that Seattle managed to pry Sheldon Richardson off the Jets for - would have been worth a 2nd), because Corey Liuget has seemed to have completely forgotten how to penetrate, which wouldn't be terrible if he actually demonstrated gap-discipline, but he doesn't look like that's the case...

Watching the game again, and I disagree. I thought he had a good night and was the reason why Ingram and Bosa had a pretty good night as well. He's not going to penetrate like he did in the past under Bradley so I'm not expecting any fancy stats from him or MeBane.

16 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

no-pi-mnf.gif?w=1000

Think of it as a makeup call for the fumble earlier in the game. Well besides the fact that it's not PI.

4 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Think of it as a makeup call for the fumble earlier in the game. Well besides the fact that it's not PI.

The fumble call only cost us a few yards though, the defense didn't recover it, it just went out of bounds behind the LOS 

39 minutes ago, Xenos said:

Watching the game again, and I disagree. I thought he had a good night and was the reason why Ingram and Bosa had a pretty good night as well. He's not going to penetrate like he did in the past under Bradley so I'm not expecting any fancy stats from him or MeBane.

He was being pushed around like he weighed 100 pounds less than he did.  His gap discipline was atrocious, particularly if Bosa and Ingram were being sent as edge penetrators.  Under Bradley, Mebane is 2-gapping from the 1-Tech, and Liuget is 1-gapping from the 3-Tech... and he was leaving that gap exposed consistently and Denver ran right through it.

17 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

no-pi-mnf.gif?w=1000

Except that wasn't what they were trying to do.  At least not the throw it to TE's part.  Hunter Henry wasn't even targeted all night and Gates averaged 1 target per quarter.

And you're reaching big time on wanting a DPI call out of that.  Defensive holding, at best, and both players made efforts to initiate contact (or we're just ignoring that the receiver tried to use a stiff-arm to gain/maintain separation when he stemmed his route and made his cutback?  But when the ball is in the air, the corner is pretty clearly going for the ball.

19 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

no-pi-mnf.gif?w=1000

Talib gets away with holding/DPI on several plays every game, move along now

4 hours ago, The LBC said:

Except that wasn't what they were trying to do.  At least not the throw it to TE's part.  Hunter Henry wasn't even targeted all night and Gates averaged 1 target per quarter.

And you're reaching big time on wanting a DPI call out of that.  Defensive holding, at best, and both players made efforts to initiate contact (or we're just ignoring that the receiver tried to use a stiff-arm to gain/maintain separation when he stemmed his route and made his cutback?  But when the ball is in the air, the corner is pretty clearly going for the ball.

The CB literally tackles Fowler to the ground when the ball was still 5 yards away from even hitting his hands and he was a yard in front of the LOS. If you dont think at bare minimum 5 yard holding and a automatic 1st down I dont know what to tell ya. If Keenan Allen is getting 40 yards worth of PI calls in the 1st qtr for tripping over himself downfield on a overthown ball to make it look like Roby touched him, Fowler gets that call too. 

12 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

The CB literally tackles Fowler to the ground when the ball was still 5 yards away from even hitting his hands and he was a yard in front of the LOS. If you dont think at bare minimum 5 yard holding and a automatic 1st down I dont know what to tell ya. If Keenan Allen is getting 40 yards worth of PI calls in the 1st qtr for tripping over himself downfield on a overthown ball to make it look like Roby touched him, Fowler gets that call too. 

Stiff arm by 16, and then 83 pushed him into 16 trying for a pick before the ball was there. Could have been 2 call against Denver. 

16 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

Still within 5 yards of the LOS, and the throw went behind the LOS anyways.

Very ticky tacky tbh, it's not like the Chargers got away with spearing the QB like Miller did against the Chiefs. And they didn't cover the OL in Vaseline like the Broncos OL back in the day.

6 minutes ago, Chiefer said:

Still within 5 yards of the LOS, and the throw went behind the LOS anyways.

Very ticky tacky tbh, it's not like the Chargers got away with spearing the QB like Miller did against the Chiefs. And they didn't cover the OL in Vaseline like the Broncos OL back in the day.

Cheifs fans in every thread the Broncos get mentioned in:

Archived