Monday Night Football - LA Chargers @ Denver

ET80

Who wins?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Denver
    • LA Chargers

Broncos played like the better team for 3 1/4 quarters and deserved the win.  But they also got the lion's share of the favorable calls from the refs (I don't think Roby intentionally hooked Allen on the play resulting in the INT, but he stepped on his foot, stumbled, and reached out grabbing KA to steady himself and did hook him, thus altering Allen's path which by rule is DPI if the ball is in the air).

Meh....I was actually fine with the no-call there. The taunting penalty on Keenan was weak.

4 minutes ago, game3525 said:

Meh....I was actually fine with the no-call there. The taunting penalty on Keenan was weak.

Pretty sure he said something vulgar (which is pretty standard for Keenan, he's kind of the anti-Rivers when it comes to communication from what I hear).

And I was actually more tripping on the no-call on the fumble-that-wasn't-called-one on the backward pass than I was on the uncalled DPI on the INT.

Still seeing if I can find a fuller version of the clip, but this was the play:

Just now, The LBC said:

Pretty sure he said something vulgar (which is pretty standard for Keenan, he's kind of the anti-Rivers when it comes to communication from what I hear).

And I was actually more tripping on the no-call on the fumble-that-wasn't-called-one on the backward pass than I was on the uncalled DPI on the INT.

That fumble just went out of bounds though didn't it? Would have cost us a few yards but it's not like the defenders picked up the ball up. 

2 minutes ago, The LBC said:

I even forgot about that play.

Did Rex even mention it?

1 minute ago, paul-mac said:

That fumble just went out of bounds though didn't it? Would have cost us a few yards but it's not like the defenders picked up the ball up. 

LIS, I'm still trying to find a more complete cut-up of the play.  But it didn't look like Siemian had enough on it after Ingram contacted him for it to clearly sail out of bounds.

16 minutes ago, The LBC said:

And the other covered for the backwards pass that Siemian made in the first half that rightfully should have been ruled a fumble when the pass was broken up (because it was a backwards pass).

Broncos played like the better team for 3 1/4 quarters and deserved the win.  But they also got the lion's share of the favorable calls from the refs (I don't think Roby intentionally hooked Allen on the play resulting in the INT, but he stepped on his foot, stumbled, and reached out grabbing KA to steady himself and did hook him, thus altering Allen's path which by rule is DPI if the ball is in the air).

All that said, if the league is actually serious about player safety (we know they're not, but let's pretend for a second they are), the icing the kicker rule needs some serious amendment.  It needs to be made to where once the players are set (or the ball is set/touched by the LS), you can no longer call the TO.  You want to use the time out to make the kicker think about the kick and try and put pressure on him that way?  Cool.  But the way it's used now, it basically forces the kicker to kick the FG twice for it to count once and it forces players to go through a full contact rep that has absolutely no consequence on the game but can still result in player injury.  That's a pretty crap thing, particularly to ST guys who are generally the ones making the league minimum and biting and scratching for jobs.

Good point, but as you say, player safety was forced on the NFL, it really is only of minor concern on their part, so do not expect a rule change anytime soon.

3 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

I dont think Rex was THAT bad.

Cutler will be way worse when Fox inevitably re-hires him next year.

From what I was reading, Rex just needs someone who can actually draw stuff out of him (a number of commentators were like this when they first started out - or are still like it now... Collinsworth...) and you can't pair them with a solid, but very by-the-numbers play-by-play counterpart.

Just now, Iamcanadian said:

Good point, but as you say, player safety was forced on the NFL, it really is only of minor concern on their part, so do not expect a rule change anytime soon.

It really depends.  They've made some really out-of-nowhere player safety rules when it comes to ST's.  The "no lining up directly over the longsnapper" one is one-such.

Just now, The LBC said:

From what I was reading, Rex just needs someone who can actually draw stuff out of him (a number of commentators were like this when they first started out - or are still like it now... Collinsworth...) and you can't pair them with a solid, but very by-the-numbers play-by-play counterpart.

And they very much did, he needs someone with personality that plays off him not just throwing Beth "if you told me that was Suzyn Waldman I'd believe you" Mowins in there and calling it a day.

Nothing against Mowins, but she's not the right partner for him.

1 minute ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

And they very much did, he needs someone with personality that plays off him not just throwing Beth "if you told me that was Suzyn Waldman I'd believe you" Mowins in there and calling it a day.

Nothing against Mowins, but she's not the right partner for him.

In a weird way, Rex has potential, but it's similar to Madden as a commentator.  Madden without Pat Summerall would have sounded like Lee Corso off his meds.

Archived