Monday Night Football - LA Chargers @ Denver

ET80

Who wins?  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

• Denver
    • LA Chargers

Everyone is going to talk about the kick. But the Chargers offensive game plan in the first three quarters was awful. I know Denver has a top 5 defense in the league, but you can't play that conservatively and expect to win.

Granted, I get why they did it. But still, Phil only threw like 12 passes in the first half...

24 minutes ago, Thelonebillsfan said:

Romo did months of prep work and practice with Nantz and the CBS crew to get ready. Cutler, by his own admission, did none of that and was just gonna show up during the season and wing it.

You basically just summarized Jay Cutler's entire football career.

They should get rid of icing the kicker. It's dumb. People think the reffing was lopsided? I didn't really see it, but I'm the wrong person to ask.

Tried to tell people to not bet against the Broncos on a home opener and of course they find a way to not cover the spread 

11 hours ago, paul-mac said:

Actually thought Mowins was good but they kinda set her up to fail with Rex Ryan. Is Ryan going to be in the studio or the booth for the rest of the season? 

They need to put him back in the studio.

He was a terrible color commentor.

I only watched two non-consecutive quarters, but it was all so bland and sometimes downright incorrect. Very little Xs and Os, which is what I'm looking for from a former coach turned commenter.. 

5 hours ago, champ11 said:

They should get rid of icing the kicker. It's dumb. People think the reffing was lopsided? I didn't really see it, but I'm the wrong person to ask.

Tried to tell people to not bet against the Broncos on a home opener and of course they find a way to not cover the spread 

I'm by no means saying it was massively slanted (honestly, the appearance was exacerbated because ESPN was terrible at showing a full-length replay and kept coming into them showing the play at a mid-point instead of the full play - which can have the tendency to make it seem like they're hiding something).  Honestly, it's the kind of favorable advantage I'd expect most home teams to get (I say most because it's a product of refs being affected by crowds and certain teams don't have home field advantage because the home fans don't massively outnumber the away fans...).  Some uncalled holds (you expect that and none of them were egregious), a call or two that (if were being real) probably gets called in favor of the home QB (or certain favored sons of the NFL) and would have been "letter of the law" but still ticky-tack, but went uncalled - which is to be expected.  (Consequently, one of such plays I'm talking about was the one where Shaq Barrett got Rivers on the blindside and went (unnecessarily?) airborne and it was pretty darn likely - a second camera angle was never shown, but basic geometry and physics makes this case - that he contacted Rivers' head with a hand, arm, or chest.  Replace Rivers with Brady or Brees and that's called 9/10 times if not more often.)

TLDR version: It was enough to be noticeable, but not enough to in any rational way be a viable excuse.  Pretty standard fare home advantage.

2 hours ago, cddolphin said:

They need to put him back in the studio.

He was a terrible color commentor.

I only watched two non-consecutive quarters, but it was all so bland and sometimes downright incorrect. Very little Xs and Os, which is what I'm looking for from a former coach turned commenter.. 

ESPN Deportes was better.

55 minutes ago, biletnikoff said:

Chargers will be fine going forward.

Just a game one home win for Denver,nothing more.

I don't know the stats but I know Denver wins almost every opening home game they play.  Combining the great weather with the loud fanbase pumped for the first game of the season, I can see why their opening day record is so good.

Chargers will be fine.  Gordon, despite the stats, really looks good too.  And that pass rush will help.

Just now, Twizlers said:

I don't know the stats but I know Denver wins almost every opening home game they play.  Combining the great weather with the loud fanbase pumped for the first game of the season, I can see why their opening day record is so good.

Chargers will be fine.  Gordon, despite the stats, really looks good too.  And that pass rush will help.

Playcalling for the Chargers is a bit suspect.  I get maybe being tenuous opening the season on the road against a division rival and a great defense, but to not even attempt the tried and true method that others (including the Chargers) have used in the past to move the ball against Denver (i.e. intermediate routes by the TE's) is more than questionable.

Also, I'm still trying to figure out why Hayes Pullard was on the field so much.  I haven't seen any kind of report suggesting an injury to one of the other LB's and Pullard just plain isn't that good.

Broncos caught Bosa and Ingram in the habit of overpursuing A LOT and Bradley never really made an adjustment.  And that part exposed that the Chargers badly need a better option at interior rusher (they should have been all over that same deal that Seattle managed to pry Sheldon Richardson off the Jets for - would have been worth a 2nd), because Corey Liuget has seemed to have completely forgotten how to penetrate, which wouldn't be terrible if he actually demonstrated gap-discipline, but he doesn't look like that's the case...

Archived