Should Kyle Shanahan have went for a tie?

Should Kyle Shanahan have went for a tie?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Kyle Shanahan have went for a tie?

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, John232 said:

The more I think about it, I feel like a QB sneak would have been the best thing to do. But given that the kicker just made a kick from the same yardline, good weather conditions..can understand letting him try to win it. 

Not sure there was really a wrong or right, just a **** result. 

@y2lamanaki and I discuss. It's the wrong decision to kick. And we prove it! Stay tuned

6 hours ago, rudyZ said:

Without necessarily going for the tie, I didn't like the play calls on that drive. We could have gone with shorter, safer passes, maybe to the running back in the flat, or something over the middle, just to get into a rhythm and get the ball moving. Honestly, since midway through the 4th quarter, I kept waiting/hoping/expecting for passes to JuiceCheck. That never came. He was targeted earlier in the game on a deep throw that went incomplete, but nothing else. He wasn't used enough, especially considering Kittle wasn't in uniform. I think a quick throw to Coleman or Juice would have gotten the offense rolling more than the actual play calls we went with. And it would have kept the clock rolling, instead of giving Russell the ball back with time to get up the field. 

I agree.  A quick screen to Juice or Deebo Samuel probably should have been called.

Speaking of play calls, Shanahan sort of second-guessed his final-drive selection that resulted in three consecutive incompletions and a punt, leaving 1:25 for Seattle’s game-winning drive. Had the 49ers run the clock out, they would be 8-0-1 and the Seahawks would not be 8-2 on their heels in the NFC West.

“Obviously when you only take a few seconds off the clock and give (the ball) back, I wish I would have taken three knees instead of doing that,” Shanahan said. “You always look at that in hindsight. We were very well aware of the situation. We knew the time on the clock. Both (first two) plays we were going two conservative, underneath passes. The first got tipped. The second was more disappointing; there’s no doubt we need to be able to make that catch running through that ball,” Shanahan said of Pettis’ drop. “Then if we do, we’ll let the clock wind down to a minute left before we try our third-and-3, which could have been a big help.

“Once we get that tip on first down and we get that drop on second down, now it’s third-and-10 with 1:42 left. Running the ball there on third-and-10, the best-case scenario is you’re still giving the ball back to Russell (Wilson) with a minute left, and Russell with a minute when all he needs is a field goal is not much different to me if you give it to him with 1:40. I definitely wasn’t expecting to have two incompletions on the first two downs.”

2 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

That pass where Pettis just kind of stopped and didn't look for contact on that slant really ticked me off...And obviously Shanahan as well. Can't defend that. Simply put, if he's not going to be willing to make those types of plays with Jimmy, he doesn't have all that much value. A guy like Deebo may have his own flaws, but he will make a real effort to come down with those type

• Like 1

23 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

To be even fairer - QB sneaks have a far higher success rate and are also made every week. 

But this still does not guarantee any extra net yards to make the kick any easier. You get the first down and on the next play take a sack and are out of FG distance then what? You had the shot to win. Take it.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That pass where Pettis just kind of stopped and didn't look for contact on that slant really ticked me off...And obviously Shanahan as well. Can't defend that. Simply put, if he's not going to be willing to make those types of plays with Jimmy, he doesn't have all that much value. A guy like Deebo may have his own flaws, but he will make a real effort to come down with those type

It's time to make him inactive. GIve RJ JR more opportunities

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

But this still does not guarantee any extra net yards to make the kick any easier. You get the first down and on the next play take a sack and are out of FG distance then what? You had the shot to win. Take it.

Well then it's terrible play-calling, because even in the previous plays - it had become a run the ball and gain some yards scenario. So if you suddenly get pass happy inside the 30 in OT then it's on the coach. You aren't going to be losing any sort of yardage that changes that kick any, and there's a better chance of gaining some yards to make that kick just a little easier. 

2 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Well then it's terrible play-calling, because even in the previous plays - it had become a run the ball and gain some yards scenario. So if you suddenly get pass happy inside the 30 in OT then it's on the coach. You aren't going to be losing any sort of yardage that changes that kick any, and there's a better chance of gaining some yards to make that kick just a little easier. 

Just a firm believer of taking your shot to win when you get it. Too many things can happen that can negate positive outcome. You get the first and get stuffed on al three runs and lose yardage is was all for nothing. They strip a ball and its disaster. You had a kicker who had been great all night and his warm ups were good. Take that shot.

1 minute ago, clarkfn2284 said:

Just a firm believer of taking your shot to win when you get it. Too many things can happen that can negate positive outcome. You get the first and get stuffed on al three runs and lose yardage is was all for nothing. They strip a ball and its disaster. You had a kicker who had been great all night and his warm ups were good. Take that shot.

You had a kicker who was a rookie street free agent who had only made 66.7% of his field goals coming into the game, and 100% of his career misses were (and still are) from 40-49 yards. Listen to the next 49ers Future episode for more data on a 40-yard kicks (and not from the co-host you think). 

• Like 1