Should Kyle Shanahan have went for a tie?

Should Kyle Shanahan have went for a tie?  

19 members have voted

1. 1. Should Kyle Shanahan have went for a tie?

• Yes
    • No

4 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

You had a kicker who was a rookie street free agent who had only made 66.7% of his field goals coming into the game, and 100% of his career misses were (and still are) from 40-49 yards. Listen to the next 49ers Future episode for more data on a 40-yard kicks (and not from the co-host you think). 

It comes down to the analytics versus feel in this one. I believe in trusting the guys and the feel in the moment. A guy can miss all day from 40-49, if he has been good in game I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I get the analytic part of it, but I'm a little old school in the trust your guys mantra. Either way imo no real damage done in the long run.

11 minutes ago, clarkfn2284 said:

It comes down to the analytics versus feel in this one. I believe in trusting the guys and the feel in the moment. A guy can miss all day from 40-49, if he has been good in game I will give him the benefit of the doubt. I get the analytic part of it, but I'm a little old school in the trust your guys mantra. Either way imo no real damage done in the long run.

Definitely agree with the last part. 

20 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

And if we can't get through the toughest part of our schedule with wins, we wouldn't be the #1 seed anyway. 

There is a grey area I think your missing though.  The tie would would given us a little more breathing room with the one seed if we lost one game to the Packers or Ravens. These are very good teams. I don't think it's fair the to say you don't deserve the one seed if you can't beat them both.

Edited by SFrush
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, SFrush said:

There is a grey area I think your missing though.  The tie would would given us a little more breathing room with the one seed if we lost one game to the Packers or Ravens. These are very good teams. I don't think it's fair the to say you don't deserve the one seed if you can't beat them both.

I think there's a grey area you're missing.

The Ravens lost to the Browns. The Packers lost to the Chargers. The Saints lost to the Falcons. Any team can beat any team. If we need to be so reliant on a tie as the sole differentiator to keep us as the #1 playoff seed because only home field advantage will allow us to go to the Super Bowl, then we don't deserve to go. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

The Ravens lost to the Browns. The Packers lost to the Chargers. The Saints lost to the Falcons. Any team can beat any team. If we need to be so reliant on a tie as the sole differentiator to keep us as the #1 playoff seed because only home field advantage will allow us to go to the Super Bowl, then we don't deserve to go. 

Agreed. 1 game should never kill your season unless it is the final game. Then and only then, all bets are off. As I stated above there are plenty of more opportunities for every team to slip and with each slip the previous slip becomes less and less important.

12 hours ago, y2lamanaki said:

You can't always gain a 2-3 game and run away with the top seed though. Sometimes it's just going to come down to that final week to clinch it no matter how well you play.   We won our first 8 games and still only had a one game lead over the Saints.  Does that say more about us or more about them? 

Edited by Hopper15
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Hopper15 said:

You can't always gain a 2-3 game and run away with the top seed though. Sometimes it's just going to come down to that final week to clinch it no matter how well you play.   We won our first 8 games and still only had a one game lead over the Saints.  Does that say more about us or more about them? 

We lost our 9th game and still only hold a one game lead over the Saints. Does that say more about us or more about them? 

I swear - this team needs to go back to 8-8 purgatory, because at least the fan base is bearable then. 8-0 followed by one loss to the Seahawks - unbearable. 3-12 and win over the Seahawks - unbearable. At least at 8-8 everyone can just be indifferent. Maybe that's what we need.

"That's coming from people who don't know ball, if I'm being honest," Sherman said to reporters. "You get to the point where you've got armchair quarterbacks, armchair GMs, armchair coaches like, 'Oh man, I would have done this.' And that's why you're sitting on the couch and not in this sport as a professional.

"You've got people, who don't do this for a living, talking about what they would have done, and it's cool, I guess, for social media chatter. It's great for it there. But as people who play the game, and who put the sacrifice in, who go out there and lay their bodies out on the line, you don't play a tie."

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-richard-sherman-responds-armchair-coaches-who-wanted-tie

Image result for you play to win the game gif

• Like 1

On ‎11‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 3:26 AM, y2lamanaki said:

We lost our 9th game and still only hold a one game lead over the Saints. Does that say more about us or more about them? 

I swear - this team needs to go back to 8-8 purgatory, because at least the fan base is bearable then. 8-0 followed by one loss to the Seahawks - unbearable. 3-12 and win over the Seahawks - unbearable. At least at 8-8 everyone can just be indifferent. Maybe that's what we need.

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-richard-sherman-responds-armchair-coaches-who-wanted-tie

Image result for you play to win the game gif

I feel this way too. Funny that you mentioned it. It makes me wonder if it comes from a generation that hasn't experienced a lot of winning with the 49ers franchise? After years upon years of ineptitude with a sprinkle of success for a 4 year period, I for one was ready to get back to what it was like growing up. I don't fear any team. Sure, some games will be tougher, but if this team has to play wild card weekend or gets a bye, plays at home or on the road, I couldn't care less. I have no worry with this team.

• Like 1