Astros Stole Signs in 2017

hrubes20

15 hours ago, freakygeniuskid said:

Minimum in my opinion:

Hinch and Luhnow suspended for a year. And anyone else in the FO or coaching staff they can connect to it.
Fines for each game they can find evidence of it happening in.
Fines = any postseason bonuses for the organization. (I'm not sure how this would be figured, but they should absolutely lose any money gained off of this and this is the best way to do it I can think of.)

Anyone thought about if something/anything should happen to the players who were involved? I mean, none of them blew the whistle while it was happening.

The absolute bare minimum punishment needs to include a complete ban on the Astros using any type of camera or communication device once the game has started for a few years. This has been a 3 year problem, so 3 years sounds fair. That includes players, coaches, front office, everyone. The janitor has so much as a walkie talkie it needs to be a punishment.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, 1ForTheThumb said:

I have no dog in this fight. I was simply pointing out how hypocritical Fiers is.

Does that matter? The relevant info is going to come from the investigation - and we've already seen overwhelming evidence of it on video. Who cares whether Mike Fiers is a boyscout or a snitch since what he's saying appears to be accurate.

Edited by ramssuperbowl99

50 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The absolute bare minimum punishment needs to include a complete ban on the Astros using any type of camera or communication device once the game has started for a few years. This has been a 3 year problem, so 3 years sounds fair. That includes players, coaches, front office, everyone. The janitor has so much as a walkie talkie it needs to be a punishment.

Outside of specific punishments against violators, I'd think they'd have to impose league-wide remedies no? Similar to the NFL. 

The electronics to the dugout - in real time - need to go somehow. Maybe - if your team is at bat - your dugout goes dark. You can film batters hitting, stances and alike all you want - but the real time ability to view things is "disconnected".

Edited by Leader

AJ Hinch, Carlos Beltran and Alex Cora will all be sitting down with MLB to discuss this controversy.

"Now AJ.....what was going through your mind when someone was beating on a garbage can right behind you all night? Did you ever wonder what that was? Did you ever yell at anybody 'Hey, quit the racket would ya!?!' Just wondering AJ....what do you say?"

This isnt going to play well......

The Athletic: An Astros front-office executive wrote about the team’s desire to steal signs in an August 2017 email that was obtained by The Athletic. As the club discussed its advance scouting plans ahead of the playoffs, the executive asked the team’s scouts to pursue sign stealing from the stands, and suggested cameras could be used to do so.

“One thing in specific we are looking for is picking up signs coming out of the dugout,” the email’s sender wrote in a message from August of 2017. “What we are looking for is how much we can see, how we would log things, if we need cameras/binoculars, etc. So go to game, see what you can (or can’t) do and report back your findings.”

The email was sent to multiple people and provided to The Athletic on the condition that both its sender and recipients remain unnamed.

Major League Baseball declined to comment on the legality of scouts using cameras, which would require a public interpretation of a broadly...

28 minutes ago, Leader said:

This isnt going to play well......

The Athletic: An Astros front-office executive wrote about the team’s desire to steal signs in an August 2017 email that was obtained by The Athletic. As the club discussed its advance scouting plans ahead of the playoffs, the executive asked the team’s scouts to pursue sign stealing from the stands, and suggested cameras could be used to do so.

“One thing in specific we are looking for is picking up signs coming out of the dugout,” the email’s sender wrote in a message from August of 2017. “What we are looking for is how much we can see, how we would log things, if we need cameras/binoculars, etc. So go to game, see what you can (or can’t) do and report back your findings.”

The email was sent to multiple people and provided to The Athletic on the condition that both its sender and recipients remain unnamed.

Major League Baseball declined to comment on the legality of scouts using cameras, which would require a public interpretation of a broadly...

From an earlier post - taken from a NY Post article: Retired pitcher Danny Farquhar shared his recollection of a suspicious incident at Minute Maid that occurred that season while he was pitching for the White Sox. Twitter baseball detective @ Jomboy_ subsequently dug up video that substantiated Farquhar's allegations during an at-bat against Houston’s Evan Gattis.

That White Sox-Astros game took place on September 21, 2017

So the Orioles have a pair of executives that were Assistant GMs with the Astros- current GM and VP of Baseball Operations Mike Elias and AGM of Analytics Sig Mejdal.  Elias was interviewed after the GM meetings and essentially said he couldn't comment much as it was an ongoing investigation, and he spent most of his side on the minor league and player development aspects so he wasn't in the know for a lot of those things.  

I find it odd that Mejdal buried himself in the minor leagues as an analyst on a team's coaching staff in their system in 2017, came back for 2018 and then left the Astros organization completely, and was ready to leave baseball until Elias got the job in Baltimore.  

Given that the two of them have not shown themselves to have the same attitude as Luhnow and some of the other coaches and execs from the Astros, I have to wonder if they think they got out at the right time.  I certainly believe that they know something about what was going on with stealing signs and perhaps other ways they could take advantage of things.