Astros Stole Signs in 2017

hrubes20

43 minutes ago, Spartica4Real said:

The article claims that they stopped doing it in the postseason because the crowds are too loud for it to work. Otherwise I don't think they'd go 0-4 at home and 3-0 on the road in the WS. In 2017 and 2018 the Astros had a better record on the road than at home. This year a better record at home. That's interesting.

I dont buy that. If a player knows what sound to listen for....like a bat hit up against a garbage can...or a single whistle....or a clicker....that will stand out from any/all other sounds. Its time and situational - so the hitter knows the 1-2 seconds to tune in for that distinctive sound.

Edited by Leader

48 minutes ago, Canadian Saint said:

Anyone see the Jomboy YT breakdown:

That's pretty bloody blatant.

If you go to the 1:53:40 mark for Brian McCann's AB you can hear it again. Comes back from a 0-2 count

And again with Gurriel at 2:36:30

Edited by FEARtheELF
  • Like 2

But what would be impactful in terms of actual punishment? Billionaire owner paying 500k isn’t enough, and a first round pick isn’t as valuable as it is in the other major sports leagues. What is steep enough to stop this in the future, because paying a bunch of fines and winning a World Series out of it is worth it. 

2 hours ago, bigbadbuff said:

But what would be impactful in terms of actual punishment? Billionaire owner paying 500k isn’t enough, and a first round pick isn’t as valuable as it is in the other major sports leagues. What is steep enough to stop this in the future, because paying a bunch of fines and winning a World Series out of it is worth it. 

Fines, limitations on the franchise, forced firings (or MLB bans) of execs, loss of draft picks, they can basically do anything short of vacate the wins. Though I guess technically they could, but there's a reason no one other the NCAA does it. Vacating wins is a joke and does absolutely nothing. 

I don't expect the punishments to be too severe anyways, unless MLB really wants to make the Astros the face of punishments for this. As the article mentions, this is an issue around the MLB. A beat writer for the Cardinals (which is notable considering one of the teams) said multiple players have told him the Astros, Brewers, and Rangers are all really bad about this. The MLB does need to put their foot down somewhere though, or else teams such as the Astros will continue to walk over them on something like this. 

It's weird to me that the Astros would put their necks out there on something like this though, when their home record has been notably worse than their road record over the last 3 years. You go 3-0 on the road in the World Series. You go 2-1 at Yankee Stadium in the ALCS. Clearly you don't need it to win and sometimes using it even hurts you when the other team figures it out and changes signs (see: Strasburg, Stephen). 

9 hours ago, Spartica4Real said:

It's weird to me that the Astros would put their necks out there on something like this though, when their home record has been notably worse than their road record over the last 3 years. You go 3-0 on the road in the World Series. You go 2-1 at Yankee Stadium in the ALCS. Clearly you don't need it to win and sometimes using it even hurts you when the other team figures it out and changes signs (see: Strasburg, Stephen). 

Good post but I pared it down for focus......

It's the electronics. Changes the game entirely. During the ALCS the NYY (who already were having starting rotation issues) were going through all sorts of multiple signal contortions to defy what they suspected was some sort of stealing system.

Thats a competitive advantage to the team / organization doing the stealing.

That's whats got to be nullified.

Whittle the situation down to "guy on 2nd" concerns - fine. Far less a problem and one experienced by any/all major league pitchers.

Potential solutions? Turn off all the electronics during the game. Empower the 1st/3rd/Home plate Umpire to listen for "systematic / patterned / timed" signal sounds coming from the dugout to toss people out - starting with the Manager. If the signals are loud enough for the batter to hear, its not possible that the Umpires arent hearing them.

Edited by Leader