Does Tomlin Deserve Any Credit for This Season?

footbull3196

My life is average  

58 members have voted

1. 1. How much credit does Mike Tomlin deserve for helping to keep Pittsburgh competitive this season?

• None (0%)
    • A little (up to 25%)
    • Some (up to 50%)
    • Majority (up to 75%)
    • Vast majority (Up to 100%)

Or is it just currently a product of the incredibly easy schedule stretch and the team shouldn’t look too much into it?

I think the Minkah trade has slowly proven to be an incredibly smart move, as was the trade up for Devin Bush.  I love the way the rest of their linebackers and secondary have looked, because you knew they couldn’t be totally dependent on leading the league in sacks yet again this season. That said, I think defensive coordinator Keith Butler deserves most of the credit here, but going from 0-3 to 5-4 with your backup quarterback deserves credit

I’m gonna divide up the share of the credit as follows

- 40% to the incredibly easy schedule to this point

- 40% to Butler

- 20% to Tomlin

I think people in general overrate the value of QB's and act like they ARE the team. Are they the most important players on a team? Yes. But I think the difference between Ben and Rudolph is probably only 1-2 wins.

Edited by Bolts223
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

I think people in general overrate the value of QB's and act like they ARE the team. Are they the most important players on a team? Yes. But I think the difference between Ben and Rudolph is probably only 1-2 wins.

Yeah that's not accurate at all. 

Especially come January if the steelers make it that far. 

• Like 1

Pittsburgh Wins:

• Bengals
  • at Chargers
  • Dolphins
  • Colts (against Hoyer)
  • Rams 

Pittsburgh Losses:

• Patriots
  • 49ers
  • Ravens
  • Seahawks

They've lost to every good team they've faced, sans the Rams who at this point in time I don't even know if you can classify them as a good team based upon the product they're putting on the field.

I'm honestly not sure what to make of this team. They're winning games against bad teams with a backup QB playing checkdown ball. Their defense has vastly improved with Minkah Fitzpatrick, though. 

Their next 6 games:

• at Browns
  • at Bengals
  • Browns
  • at Cardinals
  • Bills
  • at Jets

Then they close out the season in Baltimore. There's a very real chance they could be fighting for the division or a playoff spot due to that schedule.

• Like 2

only bad teams the steelers beat were cin and Mia

I don't consider the Rams, Chargers and Colts "bad" teams + steelers were able to hang with SF, Sea and Bal.. they could of won those games

I think they are a 8-8 team that could go 7-9 or 9-7. I hope this defense stays like this for next yr with a better offense

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, Bolts223 said:

Maybe because it's been nearly a decade since you've had deal with not having a QB, but QB values are pretty well rated. They can win and lose games more than any other position simply for the fact that they touch the ball the most and make the most crucial decisions. The fact that Tomlin has kept them afloat with Rudolph is more a testament to the value of great coaching than anything else. Big Ben would make his job a whole lot easier for sure.

• Like 4

2 hours ago, SwoleXmad said:

Yeah that's not accurate at all. 

Especially come January if the steelers make it that far. 

I'm not saying I agree with exactly 2 games, BUT, in the NFL, 2 games means a lot! That can be the difference between being a wild card team, and having a 1st round bye.

Plus, as you said, the real difference would show up in January.

Yes Tomlin deserves most of the credit. He is the guy getting his team prepared. Keeping them focused. It would have been all too easy to just call it a season when Ben went down. He also has major influence on the defense as far as we have come to understand.

40% to an incredibly easy schedule? 4 of oir first 5 games were against NE, Seattle, SF and Baltimore. I'm sorry but there wasnt anything easy about that. Yeah, we all of those but outside of NE we were also in them. Against Seattle, despite mistakes officiating played a heavy part in the outcome also. You might not like it, but its true, but we just didnt do enough. Since then we have rebounded with a QB that, before this season, hadn't taken a single NFL snap.

The players have rallied around each other under Tomlin despite possibly the worst OC in the league.

Imo 50% Tomlin 

40% Defense (you can add Butler to this If you want but its the players executing the plays)

10% offense (let's be honest they've struggled)

3 hours ago, Bolts223 said:

If Ben plays all of the Seattle game. We probably win. If he plays against a SF team that turned the ball over 5 times, we probably win.if he plays against Baltimore, at home, we probably win. 

That's a 3 game difference. You say 1-2, okay well we only lost 4. If those games were spread out in the middle of our schedule, no one would even bat an eye.

We are in the position we are now, because of the #1 defense in the league.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, wwhickok said:

If Ben plays all of the Seattle game. We probably win. If he plays against a SF team that turned the ball over 5 times, we probably win.if he plays against Baltimore, at home, we probably win.

This logic seems so obvious. Like, it makes perfect sense. But in the NFL, moreso than any of the other major sports leagues, it just rarely happens like this. Things just get wonky.

Again, I get why you're saying this, and why it makes sense. But that's just now how it ends up working.

• Like 3