NFL arranges workout for QB Colin Kaepernick

RaidersAreOne

I don't mind him having a workout, but why is the NFL pulling the strings on this?  They've never done this for any other player, to my knowledge..   Is the NFL playing favorites, attempting to get Kapernick rehired?  Or are they trying to make it look like they care, or for whatever reason feel guilty about the whole Kaep situation? 

Can't any team, at any time bring him in for a workout, Why does the NFL feel the need to put their hands on it, right in the middle of the season, coincidently, where ratings and attendance numbers are back up?

What's the point?  If some team does sign him, he's not going to start; even in his day, he was a bottom 10 starter, now 3 years removed, I can't imagine he'd be able to hang with most backups, at least as a thrower, and at 32, I doubt he can offer much as a runner either...

16 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

He sued them because they were blackballing him.............................................

Why do people keep saying this?  Kaepernick chose to walk away from his contract in SF, then turned down multiple offers the following season.  Then gets on social media and badmouths the company.  Doesn't sound like he was blackballed, sounds more like a guy that didn't want to play.  Then tries to sue because they won't hire him.

He was just barely a starting caliber QB anyway.  What team wants a polarizing player, that wouldn't even be starting, hanging around the locker room?  Wasn't that the reason nobody wanted Tebow?

Edited by frenchie
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Calvert28 said:

And why is that? He was very below average before, if he comes back he shouldn't get anything more then league minimum. Honestly he should have stayed out of football, he probably could have collected a bigger paycheck. 

Because there is not 32 QBs in the league that are better than him. 

So my thinking on this is the NFL created the invite as a message to the rest of the league they have no qualms with a team signing him. Maybe teams previously thought (or were advised against) signing him by the league due to the press coverage, potential distraction and what not. Anyway, I know Seattle was interested in the off-season, but there were barriers that prevented anything beyond that. Maybe those came from the team, Kaep, or the league, who knows, doesn't matter now. Seattle seems content with Mr. Coin Flip Geno Smith, but I wouldn't mind bringing him in with the idea of getting him ready for 2020 as Russells back up. 

32 minutes ago, Geezy said:

Because there is not 32 QBs in the league that are better than him. 

I'd say theres more then 64. I think Romo being carted off the field could still read a defense and throw the ball more accurately then he could. Bud he is just not a good QB. 

Edited by Calvert28
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, frenchie said:

I don't mind him having a workout, but why is the NFL pulling the strings on this?  They've never done this for any other player, to my knowledge..   Is the NFL playing favorites, attempting to get Kapernick rehired?  Or are they trying to make it look like they care, or for whatever reason feel guilty about the whole Kaep situation? 

Can't any team, at any time bring him in for a workout, Why does the NFL feel the need to put their hands on it, right in the middle of the season, coincidently, where ratings and attendance numbers are back up?

What's the point?  If some team does sign him, he's not going to start; even in his day, he was a bottom 10 starter, now 3 years removed, I can't imagine he'd be able to hang with most backups, at least as a thrower, and at 32, I doubt he can offer much as a runner either...

Why do people keep saying this?  Kaepernick chose to walk away from his contract in SF, then turned down multiple offers the following season.  Then gets on social media and badmouths the company.  Doesn't sound like he was blackballed, sounds more like a guy that didn't want to play.  Then tries to sue because they won't hire him.

He was just barely a starting caliber QB anyway.  What team wants a polarizing player, that wouldn't even be starting, hanging around the locker room?  Wasn't that the reason nobody wanted Tebow?

Such a bad take full of inaccuracies, look if you don't like the guy for what he stand (kneels), just say it but to try to inaccurately slander the guy makes you look really bad

• Like 4

1 hour ago, frenchie said:

Then why the NFL settled over this? If he wasn't blackballed, why the hell would they give him his money??

• Like 1

6 hours ago, KOTN-93 said:

Fair point it just feels like NFL virtue-signaling. Theres nothing to suggest he can still play. Its been what 3 years? His greatest asset were his physical skills which are highly unlikely to be the same after such a long layoff. 

What, other than personal opinion, are you basing this off of?

I agree, there's no evidence to suggest that he is absolutely at the same or similar level of athleticism, but there is also absolutely nothing of substance to suggest he isn't either.  So you're making an assumption, nothing more.

2 hours ago, frenchie said:

Why do people keep saying this?  Kaepernick chose to walk away from his contract in SF, then turned down multiple offers the following season.

Please substantiate this with references, because these "multiple offers" didn't actually happen.  A visit (which never actually materialized or even result in a workout) doesn't constitute a contract offer.

• Like 5

Why do people keep saying this?  Kaepernick chose to walk away from his contract in SF,

then turned down multiple offers the following season. 

I always hear this repeated, but I'm pretty sure it's not a fact that he ever turned down any offers, because IIRC there were no actual contracts offered to him. He worked out for a couple of teams (the Ravens, for example), but no actual offers came through.

Then gets on social media and badmouths the company.  Doesn't sound like he was blackballed, sounds more like a guy that didn't want to play.  Then tries to sue because they won't hire him.

It sounds like if this was all true the NFL made the dumbest decision in history by settling with him.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, animaltested said:

So my thinking on this is the NFL created the invite as a message to the rest of the league they have no qualms with a team signing him. Maybe teams previously thought (or were advised against) signing him by the league due to the press coverage, potential distraction and what not. Anyway, I know Seattle was interested in the off-season, but there were barriers that prevented anything beyond that. Maybe those came from the team, Kaep, or the league, who knows, doesn't matter now. Seattle seems content with Mr. Coin Flip Geno Smith, but I wouldn't mind bringing him in with the idea of getting him ready for 2020 as Russells back up. 

See, this is my thinking as well.  Or, perhaps people ought to consider that while this is (likely) an outlier season in terms of how many backup QB's we're seeing actually have to start games (it's half the teams in the league at this point of this season so far that have had to start a backup QB this season) that we're getting (non-preseason) exposure to how bad some of the QB's who make it as backups in the current incarnation of the league actually are.

I don't doubt for a second that this is equal parts PR measure by the league because it's the NFL where nothing matters more than capital to further line the pockets of the member-owners.  But that doesn't mean that it's black and white and is absolutely just one thing.  It's naive (if not ignorant) for people to think so.

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

What, other than personal opinion, are you basing this off of?

I agree, there's no evidence to suggest that he is absolutely at the same or similar level of athleticism, but there is also absolutely nothing of substance to suggest he isn't either.  So you're making an assumption, nothing more.

Yeah, but isn’t it a safer assumption that 3 missed seasons + not being a part of an NFL regiment + wrong side of 30 = diminished athleticism? Especially if you consider that he was already showing athletic regression (possibly from injury/weight loss) prior to all the nonsense.

Think the workout could do him some good, though I’m not sure what he brings to the table as a backup. I always thought he was a limited QB in terms of the mental acuity/accuracy, so I’d only expect him to fit in in an offense that utilizes the mobile QBs. 

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Please substantiate this with references, because these "multiple offers" didn't actually happen.  A visit (which never actually materialized or even result in a workout) doesn't constitute a contract offer.

I have no sources but I do recall hearing that offseason he turned down offers because he thought he was worth more money. Or at minimum, he put out a dollar amount of how much he was worth. Vague memory, I’m not certain and could be wrong.

EDIT: Found it. So he didn’t turn down offers (from what I’ve read/remember) but he was reportedly looking for “high end backup/low end starter” money - around $10M - and a chance to start, according to Dan Graziano.

Edited by Yin-Yang
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, evilpimp972 said:

Then why the NFL settled over this? If he wasn't blackballed, why the hell would they give him his money??

People & Corporations settle suits all the time, even when innocent! Surprised you don't know this....it's actually cheaper to do than keep fighting it in court.

• Like 1