NFL arranges workout for QB Colin Kaepernick

RaidersAreOne

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Please substantiate this with references, because these "multiple offers" didn't actually happen.  A visit (which never actually materialized or even result in a workout) doesn't constitute a contract offer.

People also act like the 49ers weren't cutting him when he walked away. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

People also act like the 49ers weren't cutting him when he walked away. 

:S Kaep walked away. Terminated his own contract after meeting with Lynch & Shanny...now, if you want to read into that as they were going to cut him, that's up to you. Nothing has been said to that effect, as far as I know.

Just now, Chrissooner49er said:

:S Kaep walked away. Terminated his own contract after meeting with Lynch & Shanny...now, if you want to read into that as they were going to cut him, that's up to you. Nothing has been said to that effect, as far as I know.

I mean, it was said by John Lynch....

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Joe_is_the_best said:

I view Kaepernick much like Tim Tebow. He’s better than a lot of the trash QB's in this league, but a marginal talent (QB-wise) is not worth a PR headache. 

This is exactly correct. Tebow is my first comparison as to why Kaep burned out. He shined brightly during his time, but he got figured out (Seattle playoff game of 2013 comes to mind...) rather quickly. Both could have had good careers at other positions, but insisted they were QBs...

2 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

This is exactly correct. Tebow is my first comparison as to why Kaep burned out. He shined brightly during his time, but he got figured out (Seattle playoff game of 2013 comes to mind...) rather quickly. Both could have had good careers at other positions, but insisted they were QBs...

Meh, maybe but I doubt it. Edelman became a good receiver after years and years of practice, Pryor had one good season, and then there were tons of guys who flared out. Being a good athlete doesn’t necessarily translate to other positions, you need so many other skills that you wouldn’t know they had unless they showed it. Especially with Tebow, he even wasn’t the athlete Kaepernick was.

I guess Brad Smith had a decent career as that type of gadget player. Maybe a Taysom Hill but he actually has some skill in him and is a really good athlete.

Just weird.  The NFL is setting a dangerous precedent here.  Will all players that feel wronged by them now expect them to lobby for jobs for them?  And what if he reportedly performs outstanding at work out and doesn't get hired, will that set up basis for a second lawsuit?  

I really don't enjoy politics inserted into football so I sure hope this doesn't bring back a resurgence of that.

Besides not playing in many years, isn't Kaepernick kind of old for a career resurgence?  

32 minutes ago, winitall said:
Individual teams feeling the need to reach out to the league instead of Kaepernick directly makes it pretty clear the league office was keeping him unemployed. 

I don't think that's a completely accurate statement. A lot of teams just didn't want to be the first to bring him in for serious consideration because of the PR stuff that would happen if they didn't sign him. This gives them all cover. They can now say "we saw him work out, and we feel that his head, heart and talent can help our team" or "we saw him work out, and just don't feel that he's any better than what we have."

Plus, this will give teams the opportunity to observe him and do nothing this season (as it is week 11), but start talks early after the season for next year. Sign him earlier in the offseason, and hope the circus dies by training camp.

And I'm definitely a Kaepernick supporter.

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

Where's the source? 

Here - the gm

Well that's not a reliable source at all, he's an exec. 

I mean, c'mon. What is the point of even lying there? 

Everything is fake news these days if it doesn't support your position. No one needs fact or reason anymore. Ain't it grand???

• Like 3

1 hour ago, evilpimp972 said:

Then why the NFL settled over this? If he wasn't blackballed, why the hell would they give him his money??

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

It sounds like if this was all true the NFL made the dumbest decision in history by settling with him.

Don't act naïve, there are many political and social angles to this, that we're not allowed to discuss, which led to the NFL settling.  NFL was just trying to put out a fire before it got out of hand, like most major companies do...  Imagine how this would look in the media if the NFL decided to fight him; they made the best possible decision...

1 hour ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

I always hear this repeated, but I'm pretty sure it's not a fact that he ever turned down any offers, because IIRC there were no actual contracts offered to him. He worked out for a couple of teams (the Ravens, for example), but no actual offers came through.

Ok, maybe not actual contracts handed out, but he was certainly invited for workouts, and as I'm sure you know, if you are not good enough, or you can't commit to not making a clown of yourself, you don't get a contract offer. 

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Please substantiate this with references, because these "multiple offers" didn't actually happen.  A visit (which never actually materialized or even result in a workout) doesn't constitute a contract offer.

You're right, it does not, but a visit/workout does constitute an opportunity, so let's stop pretending he didn't get his chances.  And let's also stop pretending he didn't shoot himself in the foot along the way:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/04/latest-on-colin-kaepernick-10

As for a possible Kaepernick/Seahawks agreement, the quarterback’s camp said (video link via Ian Rapoport of NFL.com) the Seahawks issued an ultimatum that hinged on Kaepernick kneeling during the anthem. Word out of Seahawks headquarters was that the franchise wanted a firm plan from the 30-year-old passer about how his role in the racial inequality-centered protest movement going forward. Robinson reports the Seahawks were specific regarding the anthem, and that the former Super Bowl starter declined to make a commitment at this time.

So why would a team offer a contract to a player that will be competing for a backup spot, and is essentially telling you he is intends to cause trouble?

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, frenchie said:

You're right, it does not, but a visit/workout does constitute an opportunity, so let's stop pretending he didn't get his chances.  And let's also stop pretending he didn't shoot himself in the foot along the way:

So does the Rooney Rule technically,  but in most instances that too is nothing more then a dog and pony show to circumvent the rule.

With that said, do I believe most Clubs don't want to deal with the eventual backlash of the a Kaepernick signing and all that entails,  Absolutely (to be clear)  But let's not also Pretend there hasn't been a contiencious decision by all 32 clubs/Owners Not to have him signed the past 3 years too in large part because of that Lawsuit.

Especially when you look at this list of the 32 Backups in the League. Won't even bother mentioning a handful of supposed Starters right now.

https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2019/5/28/18628195/nfl-backup-quarterbacks-ranking-2019

Edited by Nabbs4u