NFL arranges workout for QB Colin Kaepernick

RaidersAreOne

23 minutes ago, Forge said:

Where's the source? 

Here - the gm

Well that's not a reliable source at all, he's an exec. 

I mean, c'mon. What is the point of even lying there? 

Because it completely shoots holes in my narrative, Forge.  It makes it look like Swiss cheese that even Flex Seal can't make watertight.xD

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, frenchie said:
2 hours ago, The LBC said:

Please substantiate this with references, because these "multiple offers" didn't actually happen.  A visit (which never actually materialized or even result in a workout) doesn't constitute a contract offer.

You're right, it does not, but a visit/workout does constitute an opportunity, so let's stop pretending he didn't get his chances.  And let's also stop pretending he didn't shoot himself in the foot along the way:

https://www.profootballrumors.com/2018/04/latest-on-colin-kaepernick-10

As for a possible Kaepernick/Seahawks agreement, the quarterback’s camp said (video link via Ian Rapoport of NFL.com) the Seahawks issued an ultimatum that hinged on Kaepernick kneeling during the anthem. Word out of Seahawks headquarters was that the franchise wanted a firm plan from the 30-year-old passer about how his role in the racial inequality-centered protest movement going forward. Robinson reports the Seahawks were specific regarding the anthem, and that the former Super Bowl starter declined to make a commitment at this time.

So why would a team offer a contract to a player that will be competing for a backup spot, and is essentially telling you he is intends to cause trouble?

I'll deal with the bolded part first.  You do realize that in order for a player to "compete for a backup spot" he actually has to be on the team and thus be under contract, right?  Don't be dense.

Now, take a minute and go back and read what you quoted.  Actually look at the words that are there and read them as they are - not as you want them to be.  When you're already citing a "rumors" website (which in itself only substantiated the point I made: i.e. there weren't "multiple offers" as you were so adamant, and the visit never even materialized into a contract offer or even a workout) and their non-citation words include purely speculative/non-committal phrases like "Word out of Seahawks headquarters," you're not providing credible support to your assertions.  The declination Kaepernick made, according to we-don't-know-who because the website links a video but doesn't actually quote any of what Rappaport says in the video and per the citation what Rappaport is reporting is a secondhand recounting from Kaep's people (which is lazy *** reporting to begin with from the website), was with regard to declining committing at that time to a firm plan on his protest.  He's a union-protected potential employee, it's not unreasonable in the slightest for him to question whether a team even has a right under the Collective Bargaining Agreement to infringe upon his Constitutionally-protected free speech, to the extent to make it a condition of employment (which could/would subsequently make it a viable condition of dismissal).

Your position is built upon a foundation of assumptions which you want to assert as "fact."  Hate to break it to you, but you don't just get to will things into factual status.  That's not how any of this works.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, frenchie said:

I don't mind him having a workout, but why is the NFL pulling the strings on this?  They've never done this for any other player, to my knowledge..   Is the NFL playing favorites, attempting to get Kapernick rehired?  Or are they trying to make it look like they care, or for whatever reason feel guilty about the whole Kaep situation? 

Can't any team, at any time bring him in for a workout, Why does the NFL feel the need to put their hands on it, right in the middle of the season, coincidently, where ratings and attendance numbers are back up?

What's the point?  If some team does sign him, he's not going to start; even in his day, he was a bottom 10 starter, now 3 years removed, I can't imagine he'd be able to hang with most backups, at least as a thrower, and at 32, I doubt he can offer much as a runner either...

Why do people keep saying this?  Kaepernick chose to walk away from his contract in SF, then turned down multiple offers the following season.  Then gets on social media and badmouths the company.  Doesn't sound like he was blackballed, sounds more like a guy that didn't want to play.  Then tries to sue because they won't hire him.

He was just barely a starting caliber QB anyway.  What team wants a polarizing player, that wouldn't even be starting, hanging around the locker room?  Wasn't that the reason nobody wanted Tebow?

He never received "Multiple Offers" the following season

The only thing discussed was a hypothetical trade to Denver on the condition that he take a massive paycut and waive the remainder of his guaranteed money. The 49ers had already shown a unwillingness to play him in fear that an injury would force them to pay out the rest of his contract. By not agreeing to the paycut, Denver didn't do the trade and He took the opt out to become a Free Agent and aside from visits to Baltimore and Seattle, never has received a firm contract offer

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

This is exactly correct. Tebow is my first comparison as to why Kaep burned out. He shined brightly during his time, but he got figured out (Seattle playoff game of 2013 comes to mind...) rather quickly. Both could have had good careers at other positions, but insisted they were QBs...

The funny thing is that he played not worse than Drew Brees did the previous week, and was on the doorstep to winning the game. 

Edited by PapaShogun

1 hour ago, Chrissooner49er said:

This is exactly correct. Tebow is my first comparison as to why Kaep burned out. He shined brightly during his time, but he got figured out (Seattle playoff game of 2013 comes to mind...) rather quickly. Both could have had good careers at other positions, but insisted they were QBs...

You mean that game, where aside from an unreal play by Sherman, he almost lead his team to back to back Superbowls?

That 2013 game against Seattle? One of the top defenses in the league in that decade?

• Like 1

Floating theory: the NFLPA were complaining about Kaep during CBA negotiations. This is a knee-jerk reaction from the NFL to shut them up.

The timing of this affair is just odd. Seems like the NFL is barely extending an olive branch so they can at least say they "tried" to help? Colin K already attempted to sue the league though, so I don't understand the obligation for the NFL to mess around with helping him in any way, unless it had something to do with the NFLPA and CBA. 

He was given no time for a decision to do a "pro day" type thing on a day where every team is instead scouting college teams. Keep in mind that free agent days like this almost exclusively occur on Tuesday, hence why Colin K asked for it to be moved to Tuesday, so more teams would prepare and attend. Just a dog and pony show by the NFL. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 3

6 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Floating theory: the NFLPA were complaining about Kaep during CBA negotiations. This is a knee-jerk reaction from the NFL to shut them up.

The timing of this affair is just odd. Seems like the NFL is barely extending an olive branch. 

100%

I'm also not so sure that the so called "interested" teams aren't being pressured to attend, just so they can have a large sample size say "He's rusty and he's not better then the 3rd QB we have on our practice roster right now"

If no teams attended, it looks like collusion, If 1 team attends, it looks like a dog and pony show and he still wasn't given a fair chance

Edited by TheGame316

1 hour ago, Forge said:

Where's the source? 

Here - the gm

Well that's not a reliable source at all, he's an exec. 

I mean, c'mon. What is the point of even lying there? 

i don’t even think you’re wrong in this instance lol i just think taking things NFL GMs say at face value is typically a questionable idea

6 hours ago, The LBC said:

What, other than personal opinion, are you basing this off of?

I agree, there's no evidence to suggest that he is absolutely at the same or similar level of athleticism, but there is also absolutely nothing of substance to suggest he isn't either.  So you're making an assumption, nothing more.

Well the fact that he was benched with years of experience for Blaine Gabbert and now with a 3 year layoff should at least draw some concern from you. 

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

Well the fact that he was benched with years of experience for Blaine Gabbert and now with a 3 year layoff should at least draw some concern from you. 

Which benching are we talking about?  The one where he went on IR with a shoulder injury the week following his benching or the one where his benching had nothing to do with performance and everything to do with not wanting to have him out on the field where he could possibly get injured and the team would thus be on the hook for his salary for the following season which was guaranteed for injury?

I'm not saying I'm wholly not concerned.  But everything that I've read has stated that he's been working out and training the entire time he's been away from the league.  Giving him the benefit of the doubt, it's not like he's been sitting on a beach drinking Mai Tai's this whole time.  But, moreso than the narrative of Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson finding big success being the big contributor to usher him back, I'd point more to Ryan Tannehill.  This was a dude that when he washed out of Miami, just about everyone was ready to write him off because he just took too many sacks, took too long to process defenses, and lo... new team, new OC (that's not Adam "Mr. B-Hole" Gase), and he's certainly not by any definition "great," but he's been good enough that the Titans are competitive even with a less-than-desirable OL and defense (per their fans; I happen to think higher of their D than they do apparently).

While I think the circus and pony show COULD be accurate, I can’t help but think that such would only intensify the Kaep/NFL riff. Especially considering Kaep news had kind of cooled off some.

So how I see this is this is the NFL making a blanket statement that Kaep is no longer being blackballed by the league. And since talent isn’t what has been keeping him unsigned, I think a team will snap him up.

I honestly wouldn’t hate the Ravens signing Kaep if he came cheap. I think McSorely could fall to the practice squad. It would be great having him and RG3. If something happened to Lamar we could have full confidence in RG3 running the same system without getting hurt... as Kaep could (assuming he’s kept his skills up) be a legit threat.

5 hours ago, The LBC said:

He's a union-protected potential employee, it's not unreasonable in the slightest for him to question whether a team even has a right under the Collective Bargaining Agreement to infringe upon his Constitutionally-protected free speech, to the extent to make it a condition of employment (which could/would subsequently make it a viable condition of dismissal).

This is a pretty ludicrous claim. The CBA doesn't protect a player's constitutional right to free speech. NFL teams have the right to terminate players who engage in conduct detrimental to the club/league. I don't think I've heard anyone the entire time this has been going on, from Kaepernick's camp or anywhere else, make the claim that team's can't set it as a condition of return. I mean, Jerry Jones has come out and stated he won't tolerate protests.

Regardless, here's someone putting their name to a story about signing the guy if only his camp didn't do something utterly moronic:

"We were going to close the deal to sign him," Lewis said on Showtime's "Inside the NFL" on Tuesday night. "Steve Bisciotti said, 'I want to hear Colin Kaepernick speak to let me know that he wants to play football.'"

"And it never happens because that picture comes up the next day."

The Aug. 2 tweet by Nessa Diab compared a picture of Lewis hugging Bisciotti to a scene from "Django Unchained," in which Samuel L. Jackson as a loyal house slave held Leonardo DiCaprio's cruel plantation owner character.

"His girl [Diab] goes out and put out this racist gesture and doesn't know we are in the back office about to try to get this guy signed," Lewis said. "Steve Bisciotti has said it himself: 'How can you crucify Ray Lewis when Ray Lewis is the one calling for Colin Kaepernick?'"

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/20597810/ray-lewis-said-baltimore-ravens-sign-colin-kaepernick-girlfriend-racist-tweet

Not an offer, but only because his girlfriend couldn't shut-up long enough for it to be extended. So why would the Ravens revisit this nonsense?

• Like 3