NFL arranges workout for QB Colin Kaepernick

RaidersAreOne

Not sure why the constitutional right to free speech is even being discussed in this conversation. Free speech applies to individual’s interactions with government at all levels. A private business or individual can restrict speech as they please so long as they aren’t acting on behalf of the government. NFL teams are private businesses and can restrict speech, I’m surprised the NFL didn’t punish those players kneeling given that they fine players for a variety of other issues, especially as it relates to dress code. 

• Like 5

5 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Not sure why the constitutional right to free speech is even being discussed in this conversation. Free speech applies to individual’s interactions with government at all levels. A private business or individual can restrict speech as they please so long as they aren’t acting on behalf of the government. NFL teams are private businesses and can restrict speech, I’m surprised the NFL didn’t punish those players kneeling given that they fine players for a variety of other issues, especially as it relates to dress code. 

I believe the reason that the NFL settled the original claim is that there was evidence a certain President who we all love talked directly to at least one NFL owner, possibly in Texas, about the situation. I don't have all the proper citations but I do remember reading that, and that would be enough to constitute collusion. Not to mention showing that the government may have been involved in this case.

On 11/13/2019 at 2:56 AM, TheVillain112 said:

Have...have...have you see what shape most QBs are in?  I'm willing to bet a large sum of money that he's in better 'football shape' than 37 year old Philip Rivers is...

You honestly think that the guy that holds the current ironman record with 218 consecutive starts is not in NFL shape?

And should even be used as an example when talking about endurance and football shape?

He's not uber athletic in the common use of the word, but jeez is that stretching it!

• Like 3

14 hours ago, TheGame316 said:

You mean that game, where aside from an unreal play by Sherman, he almost lead his team to back to back Superbowls?

That 2013 game against Seattle? One of the top defenses in the league in that decade?

No audio on this post and still heard the thump of the mic dropping. 

• Like 1

9 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

THANK YOU.

Same people wonder why chase young didn’t get “due process” in his suspension.

12 hours ago, The LBC said:

Which benching are we talking about?  The one where he went on IR with a shoulder injury the week following his benching or the one where his benching had nothing to do with performance and everything to do with not wanting to have him out on the field where he could possibly get injured and the team would thus be on the hook for his salary for the following season which was guaranteed for injury?

I'm not saying I'm wholly not concerned.  But everything that I've read has stated that he's been working out and training the entire time he's been away from the league.  Giving him the benefit of the doubt, it's not like he's been sitting on a beach drinking Mai Tai's this whole time.  But, moreso than the narrative of Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson finding big success being the big contributor to usher him back, I'd point more to Ryan Tannehill.  This was a dude that when he washed out of Miami, just about everyone was ready to write him off because he just took too many sacks, took too long to process defenses, and lo... new team, new OC (that's not Adam "Mr. B-Hole" Gase), and he's certainly not by any definition "great," but he's been good enough that the Titans are competitive even with a less-than-desirable OL and defense (per their fans; I happen to think higher of their D than they do apparently).

C'mon now, Kaepernick has never been in Watson's category. Probably not even as good as Lamar has been thus far. He was a flash in the pan. He got figured out and it seems like you refuse to see it. That's really confusing. 

10 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

You are exactly right. Every employer can indeed limit an employee's freedom of speech due to how the employer wants their brand presented. It is THEIR business, not the employee's.

However, I do think the NFL as a whole handled it correctly by more or less ignoring it (I won't say any more for fear of getting this locked...).

Just as years before, I don't know why the League can't just openly tell this guy to kick rocks, and make sure teams do not have any option to sign him. This goes to any player that can't fall in line, or brings unwanted BS to this game. 

I'm not a fan of second or third chances, for the NFL. Privilege... not a right. Stay in line and play well, you make huge money by playing a silly sport, and can have a luxurious life. Fall out of favor, see ya, bye bye. 

cq5dam.web.1200.675.jpeg

• Like 1

2 hours ago, TheVillain112 said:

I'm currently in an argument with a Bengals fan on twitter, who states that bringing in Kaep is not worth the bad PR.  He's worried about the reputation/PR for the Bengals.  The 0-9 Mike Brown lead, 2 NFL scouts, no full indoor practice facility, Bengals.  I give up...

Omg... why would anyone want to play there.

12 hours ago, The LBC said:

Which benching are we talking about?  The one where he went on IR with a shoulder injury the week following his benching or the one where his benching had nothing to do with performance and everything to do with not wanting to have him out on the field where he could possibly get injured and the team would thus be on the hook for his salary for the following season which was guaranteed for injury?

I'm not saying I'm wholly not concerned.  But everything that I've read has stated that he's been working out and training the entire time he's been away from the league.  Giving him the benefit of the doubt, it's not like he's been sitting on a beach drinking Mai Tai's this whole time.  But, moreso than the narrative of Lamar Jackson and Deshaun Watson finding big success being the big contributor to usher him back, I'd point more to Ryan Tannehill.  This was a dude that when he washed out of Miami, just about everyone was ready to write him off because he just took too many sacks, took too long to process defenses, and lo... new team, new OC (that's not Adam "Mr. B-Hole" Gase), and he's certainly not by any definition "great," but he's been good enough that the Titans are competitive even with a less-than-desirable OL and defense (per their fans; I happen to think higher of their D than they do apparently).

Lmao oh yea and he just didn't hop right back onto the field when he was healthy because the team wanted to save on cap space? Man if only the Jags this year were that smart huh, can that work with them?

I cant believe you are actually trying to defend his piss poor play. Mike Vick drowned puppies, went to prison, and was back on the field within a few years and you know why? Because he's Michael freaking Vick. 

Don't try to make excuses then go back and say well its a possibility he will flake out. No the dude cant play, DC's figured him out and that was that. 

7 minutes ago, Calvert28 said:

How dare you. Bubbles is a good person, just a constant eff up and smack addict.

Hey, I loved Bubbles. He just looked and reminded me of Kaep.. and I'd wickedly smile over the image of Kaep homeless and pushing a cart.  

:P 

• Like 2