NFL arranges workout for QB Colin Kaepernick

RaidersAreOne

BTW, I don't care what happens to the NFL if Kaepernick sues again. 

The NFL put themselves in this bind when they didn't properly address and stop the protests during the Anthem. They were losing fans and thought they were stuck between a rock and a hard spot. 

Had they set up very stiff penalties for protesting during the anthem, this all goes away. They allowed it to manifest and here we are. As an employer they could have put a condition on employment to stand at attention during the anthem. They could have fined, suspended any player who disobeyed. AS an employer they can punish/fire anybody who is harming their business with their personal agenda! ON the NFL time or on a players own time. 

They blew it trying to be politically correct! 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Why? The guy has been out of the league for 3 years and let's not forget it was his doing. He OPTED OUT of his contract with San Francisco, not the other way around. Just because of his past doesn't mean crap. When has the NFL EVER done what they were doing for Kaepernick? Name one time. I'll wait! 

He was going to get cut by the Niners anyways according to John Lynch so it's a little misleading to use the Opt Out against him. 

• Like 2

Just now, Xenos said:

He was going to get cut by the Niners anyways according to John Lynch so it's a little misleading to use the Opt Out against him. 

He would have had to pay him his guarantees had he cut him. I don't remember Lynch ever saying that. It's hindsight anyway so not relevant IMO. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Golfman said:

BTW, I don't care what happens to the NFL if Kaepernick sues again. 

The NFL put themselves in this bind when they didn't properly address and stop the protests during the Anthem. They were losing fans and thought they were stuck between a rock and a hard spot. 

Had they set up very stiff penalties for protesting during the anthem, this all goes away. They allowed it to manifest and here we are. As an employer they could have put a condition on employment to stand at attention during the anthem. They could have fined, suspended any player who disobeyed. AS an employer they can punish/fire anybody who is harming their business with their personal agenda! ON the NFL time or on a players own time. 

They blew it trying to be politically correct! 

No, the NFL put themselves in a bind when they did try to take action against it. In fact the protests were still happening last year as well but it was forgotten because the NFL left it alone instead of trying to address it like they did in 2017. 

• Like 1

Just now, Xenos said:

No, the NFL put themselves in a bind when they did try to take action against it. In fact the protests were still happening last year as well but it was forgotten because the NFL left it alone instead of trying to address it like they did in 2017. 

We'll just have to agree to disagree on this one. When your employees start calling the shots, you are nearing doom in any business. 

18 minutes ago, Golfman said:

Why? The guy has been out of the league for 3 years and let's not forget it was his doing. He OPTED OUT of his contract with San Francisco, not the other way around. Just because of his past doesn't mean crap. When has the NFL EVER done what they were doing for Kaepernick? Name one time. I'll wait! 

....you’re proving the point. This is largely unprecedented territory. Comparing it to any other interview or any other workout is dumb. 

I’m not even sure the “employer” talk is even accurate either. Yeah, the players fall under the NFL, but Kaepernick wasn’t fired/banner/suspended by the NFL. The league itself weren’t the ones not hiring Kaepernick. It’s the teams that aren’t or weren’t touching him. The NFL put this workout together but it’s not like they were going to be the ones giving him a job if he had a good workout. It’s the teams themselves that he’s “interviewing” for.

I don’t care if he’s on a team or not. I think he was a replacement level starter/decent backup level QB and I can’t imagine that has improved having been away from the game. This is like the Tebow BS - couldn’t care less. The guy should’ve showed up like he committed to do, even if the league was really only doing this in their own self interest. But same as most things, this isn’t black and white. The NFL putting out an article to show how much they really really tried just adds to the pile of evidence. 

You know, I wonder if a team did pick him up, if there'd be some kind of legal issue where if they left him go eventually, he'd sue that team. 

Hmm... the entire thing looks like a circus to me.  And do you really want him as a backup if he's going to overwhelm your starter anyway?

2 hours ago, GSUeagles14 said:

how many years of him playing do we have to know that he is not an elite passer? 

No one looks good in this tbh. NFL looks shady, colin looks like hes only in it for the pr.

He doesn't have to be an elite passer to be able to get an opportunity to play at QB again for a team. Have you seen some of the guys on rosters around the league?