NFL arranges workout for QB Colin Kaepernick

RaidersAreOne

Just now, PapaShogun said:

He doesn't have to be an elite passer to be able to get an opportunity to play at QB again for a team. Have you seen some of the guys on rosters around the league? 

did you not see what i replied to?

hes 32, how many guys are you talking abiut are young enough to be developed. how many others are simply careers backups that kjow an offe se well and can be essentially another coach? 

this did kaepernick no favors. he needed to show he was good enough to be worth the spectacle and mostly of his own doing there was anotger spectacle. i honestly think he doesnt want to play.

From a user on Reddit that was apparently there: 

From my vantage point at the opposite end zone:

Touch and accuracy weren't great but were still decent today. I think the touch was honestly good once he settled in (started off meh) but accuracy a tad off at times. Definitely put extra on a few throws (rocketed a couple, some high catches early), but better than I expected after the first ~15 throws when he started hitting his groove and hitting guys in the chest with balls at really catchable speeds. I don't think his accuracy and touch were starter-tier, but they were backup-tier. His outside throws were honestly better than I expected and those are always a good tell.

I was actually really impressed with his throws on the move. Only really f****d up one that I saw, and if he can throw that effectively off of bootlegs and PAs, that's a dangerous pairing with his running ability. That's why I felt confident that he could still be a backup, seeing him throw on the move and seeing him drop in some outside balls gently. Ironically, I felt that if anything, some deep throws had too much arc. Deep balls were a bit inconsistent but receivers who slowed up while tracking them then missed the catch by a couple feet didn't help.

Reading defenses is the part that couldn't be tested today that I'd worry about more.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

You can tell the NFL's offer was in good faith since they decided to put the workout on a Saturday in the fall since teams aren't going to have personnel evaluation assignments at college football games, instead of like a Wednesday when teams normally bring guys in for workouts.~

This is a bad take. Scouting departments are split between college scouts and pro scouts. Doing it on a saturday when no teams are doing anything is perfectly logical. The people that would scout him aren't the ones that are scouting college.

9 minutes ago, GSUeagles14 said:

did you not see what i replied to?

hes 32, how many guys are you talking abiut are young enough to be developed. how many others are simply careers backups that kjow an offe se well and can be essentially another coach? 

this did kaepernick no favors. he needed to show he was good enough to be worth the spectacle and mostly of his own doing there was anotger spectacle. i honestly think he doesnt want to play.

Yes. The tweet you replied to was a comment about Colin K still having "elite" arm talent. 

You then made the comment "how many years of him playing do we have to know that he is not an elite passer?"

I then told you he doesn't have to be an elite player to receive an opportunity to try and get on a roster. 

Yeah, he's 32. I've seen Randall come back at age 34 and put up a monster season after being out of the NFL at 32, and taking a year off. Obviously, not saying that will happen to Colin, but I am saying that stranger things should happen, and he should at least get a tryout. A TRYOUT. The Bears for example could not be worse with having Colin roster on their squad with Trubisky or Daniel around. Even if he was just the third QB. 

If Colin is faking the funk, then whatever. But if he's serious, then folks should kick the tires. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 2

16 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

Yes. The tweet you replied to was a comment about Colin K still having "elite" arm talent. 

You then made the comment "how many years of him playing do we have to know that he is not an elite passer?"

I then told you he doesn't have to be an elite player to receive an opportunity to try and get on a roster. 

Yeah, he's 32. I've seen Randall come back at age 34 and put up a monster season after being out of the NFL at 32, and taking a year off. Obviously, not saying that will happen to Colin, but I am saying that stranger things should happen, and he should at least get a tryout. A TRYOUT. The Bears for example could not be worse with having Colin roster on their squad with Trubisky or Daniel around. Even if he was just the third QB. 

If Colin is faking the funk, then whatever. But if he's serious, then folks should kick the tires. 

you dont use 32 year old qbs as 3rd qbs, thats used for guys who are young and maybe turn into something. Im just going to ignore the randall cunningham thing as you kinda missed the point there and also its just idiotic to compare the two. 

XDo we even need to question if Colin wants to be difficult? I can give several reasons today alone that shows he does, why would teams want that as a backup QB?+

• Like 1

It’s so easy to spread misinformation these days. If it fits into their worldview the masses eat it up. April first is the only day of the year many people have any skepticism for what they read on the internet. 

By the time the facts are actually established most people have moved on because they don’t have the attention span to follow a story after they have heard what they wanted hear from whichever internet echo chamber they prefer  

• Like 4

1 hour ago, mse326 said:

This is a bad take. Scouting departments are split between college scouts and pro scouts. Doing it on a saturday when no teams are doing anything is perfectly logical. The people that would scout him aren't the ones that are scouting college.

Except that the pro scouts are usually scouting next week's opponent 

1 hour ago, GSUeagles14 said:

you dont use 32 year old qbs as 3rd qbs, thats used for guys who are young and maybe turn into something. Im just going to ignore the randall cunningham thing as you kinda missed the point there and also its just idiotic to compare the two. 

XDo we even need to question if Colin wants to be difficult? I can give several reasons today alone that shows he does, why would teams want that as a backup QB?+

I've seen 30 plus QBs on NFL rosters before as third string. Who cares, it doesn't really matter. Colin could compete for a main backup spot as well.

Also actually, you completely missed the main point with the Randall example :)

But that's fine. Matt Moore is another name I could plug in. Steve Deburg got a roster spot at 44 years old in 1998 after being retired for 5 years. He even started a game. Colin coming back wouldn't be the strangest thing ever.

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

The NFL knew what they were doing. It’s unfortunate but this is what it’s come to. And those supporting what the NFL did and putting this on CK is exactly what the league wanted. 

They never wanted him back in the league from the moment he took a stance for injustices against PoC. 

Kaepernick will go on to do so much more than the NFL can offer him it just sucks seeing someone’s dream taken from them in this manner.

• Like 2