NFL arranges workout for QB Colin Kaepernick

RaidersAreOne

28 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

The NFL knew what they were doing. It’s unfortunate but this is what it’s come to. And those supporting what the NFL did and putting this on CK is exactly what the league wanted. 

They never wanted him back in the league from the moment he took a stance for injustices against PoC. 

Kaepernick will go on to do so much more than the NFL can offer him it just sucks seeing someone’s dream taken from them in this manner.

Well, if his dreams include being a good QB, he’s better off staying asleep. Reality can be a rude awakening. :D

• Like 1

https://www.si.com/nfl/2019/11/17/colin-kaepernick-workout-for-teams

For what it’s worth: I do not think the NFL did this simply as a publicity stunt. I think there are some people in the NFL who want to sign Kaepernick or want somebody to sign him, if only to get rid of the blackballing talk. And I absolutely do not believe Kaepernick did this for publicity. He is not faking an interest in playing in the NFL. He really, truly wants to play.

The problem is that there is such a deep mistrust between the NFL and Kaepernick’s camp. Sixty scripted throws could never overcome it. The mistrust is like the dispute between offensive tackle Trent Williams and the league’s Washington team in that way; at this point, anything anybody says will be viewed with extreme skepticism from the other side. The NFL did not want Kaepernick to set the terms, and so it set them itself. And as soon as the league did that, this whole thing was doomed.

Whatever you think of Kaepernick’s politics, let’s be clear: He was always good enough to play in the NFL. That was never the issue. NFL people understand this. There are undoubtedly worse quarterbacks on NFL rosters today. Lesser passers have started games in his absence. He was good enough three years ago and he is good enough today. We are not going to argue this point.

This isn’t about principle, either. NFL teams sign plenty of players who have committed serious crimes. It is about the perception of principle. Owners do not want customers complaining they signed Kaepernick.

Teams have just decided that signing Kaepernick isn’t worth the public-relations headache. I disagree, on multiple fronts. First, the headache would pass. Look around. There is a new media firestorm every day. Kaepernick’s signing would be a huge story, and everybody would talk about it, and then he would be another player. Protests would fade.

Within the locker room, Kaepernick would be fine. He has always been fine. Chip Kelly, his coach with the 49ers when he started kneeling during the anthem, has said very clearly that the team had no problems with Kaepernick. He is a model teammate with an excellent work ethic. And if you build an offense around him, even now, you at least have a chance to transform your team. How many street free agents offer that?

• Like 1

I was listening to CBS sports radio this morning and it was great to hear people from all over the country agree that Kaep should have a shot. But there was not a single mention of the fact that he was so-so three years ago, and in those intervening years he hasn’t been doing anything. Is it wrong he wasn’t allowed to do anything NFL related in those years?  Yes. Does that make him magically awesome at this very moment?  NO. 

1 hour ago, Xenos said:

Isn't Josh McCown older than 32 as well?

Yeah, but I’d almost definitely get the “he’s the #2 QB, not #3 QB” response. Moore is in KC due to injury and McCoy is the bonafide third QB, but they’re legit 3s. 

This is ignoring the fact that Kaepernick could also be the 2nd or 1st QB on some rosters, but I was humoring the whole “let me tell you how NFL teams think” mantra...

1. I don't think the NFL/NFL teams have handled this situation very well. The "rules and circumstances" they wanted for this setup/workout is in my opinion unnecessary - what would it hurt to have Kaepernicks team videotaping the workout? How would it be a problem that he would throw to guys he knows?

But after what we have seen and what has happened, I think Kaepernick and his representatives made a bad showcasing of him and only build on the concern teams might have, that it will be a circus if they bring him in.

1. Why would it be so bad that the NFL/Falcons video crew would have the tape and ability to edit it? Wasn't the point that different teams representatives could see the workout and judge for themselves?

2. If Kaep had nothing to be afraid of and was ready, how would it be so bad to go through the setup the NFL provided? If it became clear the NFL would either provide a bad setup for the workout or make a cut up video showcasing Kaeps worst throws as his camp/representatives feared, wouldn't that reflect back bad on the NFL?

3. If either or both of the above were the concerns, Kaep could have taped a workout like he did yesterday on any high school field with the help of his friends etc., and that could be "evidence" in case the NFL wanted to create a narrative that he was in bad shape/couldn't throw etc.

In my opinion, Kaep had a chance to be confident in his own ability and not be scared that the NFL would tamper with the workout. Just go in and show he was ready, ready to throw to guys he didn't know, to go through a workout on NFL's terms.

Instead he once again chose to create a circus, and afterwards telling NFL and team owners to "not be scared". 

In my opinion, and I am in favor of Kaep getting a chance in the NFL, but I don't think he helped himself - on the contrary. I think he showed he would a person who wants to do things his way - which could cause controversy and unwanted media drama around him. He didn't show how he wanted to "bend to the NFL's" will and make the necessary compromises. So in that way, I can understand if teams are catious about signing him, as they could be concerned, that he would still focus on the political issues that made everything go awry in the first place.

This whole thing was a mess when Kaep was only given 4 days notice, you don't hash this out that quickly with what has gone on 3 years previous. The people saying people get rushed in for tryouts every week this is obviously not your usual tryout after what has happened.

If the NFL was seriously why give only 4 days notice what were they trying to prove by that.

5 minutes ago, Danand said:

1. I don't think the NFL/NFL teams have handled this situation very well. The "rules and circumstances" they wanted for this setup/workout is in my opinion unnecessary - what would it hurt to have Kaepernicks team videotaping the workout? How would it be a problem that he would throw to guys he knows?

But after what we have seen and what has happened, I think Kaepernick and his representatives made a bad showcasing of him and only build on the concern teams might have, that it will be a circus if they bring him in.

1. Why would it be so bad that the NFL/Falcons video crew would have the tape and ability to edit it? Wasn't the point that different teams representatives could see the workout and judge for themselves?

2. If Kaep had nothing to be afraid of and was ready, how would it be so bad to go through the setup the NFL provided? If it became clear the NFL would either provide a bad setup for the workout or make a cut up video showcasing Kaeps worst throws as his camp/representatives feared, wouldn't that reflect back bad on the NFL?

3. If either or both of the above were the concerns, Kaep could have taped a workout like he did yesterday on any high school field with the help of his friends etc., and that could be "evidence" in case the NFL wanted to create a narrative that he was in bad shape/couldn't throw etc.

In my opinion, Kaep had a chance to be confident in his own ability and not be scared that the NFL would tamper with the workout. Just go in and show he was ready, ready to throw to guys he didn't know, to go through a workout on NFL's terms.

Instead he once again chose to create a circus, and afterwards telling NFL and team owners to "not be scared". 

In my opinion, and I am in favor of Kaep getting a chance in the NFL, but I don't think he helped himself - on the contrary. I think he showed he would a person who wants to do things his way - which could cause controversy and unwanted media drama around him. He didn't show how he wanted to "bend to the NFL's" will and make the necessary compromises. So in that way, I can understand if teams are catious about signing him, as they could be concerned, that he would still focus on the political issues that made everything go awry in the first place.

If you watched Kaep throw he had nothing to hide though so that clearly wasn't the issue.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, RandomCampBody said:

If you watched Kaep throw he had nothing to hide though so that clearly wasn't the issue.

I watched him throw, it was as expected. If he has nothing to hide, then why make it into a circus like he did?

9 hours ago, PapaShogun said:

I've seen 30 plus QBs on NFL rosters before as third string. Who cares, it doesn't really matter. Colin could compete for a main backup spot as well.

Also actually, you completely missed the main point with the Randall example :)

But that's fine. Matt Moore is another name I could plug in. Steve Deburg got a roster spot at 44 years old in 1998 after being retired for 5 years. He even started a game. Colin coming back wouldn't be the strangest thing ever.

what was your point, that hes in his mid 30's? you realize the argument is not about his age alone, right? If you think so, which it seems like you do, youre really misunderstanding here.