NFL arranges workout for QB Colin Kaepernick

RaidersAreOne

8 minutes ago, evilpimp972 said:

He's still better than Jay Cutler coming out of retirement, I would bet on that.

Or even Josh Jonhson who went 3 years without playing to start with the Redskins in 2018.

Matt Moore was literally pulled out of a scouting job to become Patrick Mahomes' backup. Teams pull dudes off the street ALL THE TIME.

In reality though, he won't get signed. I'm not even sure most teams will show up. He's been blackballed by the league for years to the point where now teams can legitimately use the "Well he's been out of the league too long!" garbage to justify not signing him.

In terms of timing though this is perfect for Kaepernick. Lamar Jackson is an MVP candidate, and so is Deshaun Watson and Russell Wilson - all 3 of those guys are dual-threat QB's. If there's any point in time where the league might take a chance on one of the best dual threat QB's to do it in the past 10 years, now is a pretty solid time.

• Like 5

18 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

You can't make this statement, no one has seen this guy play in 3 years.  

Ok, allow me to rephrase, he hasn’t been unemployed thus far based on ability.

The willingness for people to bury their heads in the sand on this one is incredible.

Anyone who thinks the reason he’s been out of the league for 3 years is because of his ability on the field is touched.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Ok, allow me to rephrase, he hasn’t been unemployed thus far based on ability.

The willingness for people to bury their heads in the sand on this one is incredible.

Anyone who thinks the reason he’s been out of the league for 3 years is because of his ability on the field is touched.

If I had an ex employee that sued me I wouldn't rehire him either.  

Edited by MKnight82

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, we can all have our red, white and blue stances on things, but if you’re gonna say he’s not one of the top 64-96 qb’s in the league I’m going to say you’re blind or a BSer.

Is he good enough to be an “obvious starter”?  No, probably not, but crappier players have regular, consistent gigs in this league.  I’m not sure that’s even debatable at this point.

With Kap's attitude, prior to the political distractions and media coverage of kneeling during games, Kap's attitude and entitlement combined with his subpar ability as a pocket passer made him a fringe backup. Now, three years removed from that time his head may be clearer and his legs/body healthier, but I'm not sure he is any better.

Then again, for a five game run maybe Kap can be as good as a Mitch Trubisky, Andy Dalton, or Ryan Fitzpatrick. Maybe.

It is mid-season, so the element of limited game-planning by opposing teams defenses may help Kap's chances of acclimating successfully back into the league.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

I mean, we can all have our red, white and blue stances on things, but if you’re gonna say he’s not one of the top 64-96 qb’s in the league I’m going to say you’re blind or a BSer.

Is he good enough to be an “obvious starter”?  No, probably not, but crappier players have regular, consistent gigs in this league.  I’m not sure that’s even debatable at this point.

But is he willing to take a deal that pays him as a backup level player. I thought compensation was a big stickler for him. 

1 hour ago, DaveDX said:

This is the worst possible move he could make. If he can’t perform at a high level, his overall value decreases. 

Worst? I mean he was out for almost three years. How can it get worse. This is his best chance.

• Like 2