Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

33 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Jordan Matthews? 

I don't really see it. Goodwin wasn't getting snaps anyway so its not like we're looking for production. And I think I read that Pettis should be able to pratice this week. I think they're going bring back Dontae Johnson with Sherm being out a couple of weeks. And maybe leave a slot open when they IR Richburg for Street with Taylor still out and Jones nursing a ankle.

15 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I don't really see it. Goodwin wasn't getting snaps anyway so its not like we're looking for production. And I think I read that Pettis should be able to pratice this week. I think they're going bring back Dontae Johnson with Sherm being out a couple of weeks. And maybe leave a slot open when they IR Richburg for Street with Taylor still out and Jones nursing a ankle.

Certainly good points. But the team hasn't kept less than six receivers on the roster in the Shanahan era and multiple times have carried seven, even though they only keep five active on game day. It's not about who is getting snaps for a game. It's about who is getting snaps when someone in a game goes down. It's a known preference for six receivers on the roster. And while the top three have taken basically all the snaps these last two games, Shanahan doesn't like that either:

Shanahan indicated he wasn’t thrilled about Sunday’s distribution because Sanders and Samuel missed a total of only three snaps.

“I don’t like how much” they played, Shanahan said. “I think we do have to rotate a little bit more and keep those guys fresh. … So we’ve got to make sure that we do get them in a little bit more.”

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/article/For-the-49ers-wide-receiver-corps-can-three-14879885.php

Ultimately we have two roster spots open and needs at four positions due to injury(DL, CB, OL, WR). Some of them won't be filled right away, but at two of those positions (CB and DL), the team is still carrying the injured players on the roster. At the other two, they are not. 

But glad we have a 3rd quarterback, 4th halfback, and 4th tight end on the roster at times like these.

57 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Certainly good points. But the team hasn't kept less than six receivers on the roster in the Shanahan era and multiple times have carried seven, even though they only keep five active on game day. It's not about who is getting snaps for a game. It's about who is getting snaps when someone in a game goes down. It's a known preference for six receivers on the roster. And while the top three have taken basically all the snaps these last two games, Shanahan doesn't like that either:

Shanahan indicated he wasn’t thrilled about Sunday’s distribution because Sanders and Samuel missed a total of only three snaps.

“I don’t like how much” they played, Shanahan said. “I think we do have to rotate a little bit more and keep those guys fresh. … So we’ve got to make sure that we do get them in a little bit more.”

https://www.sfchronicle.com/49ers/article/For-the-49ers-wide-receiver-corps-can-three-14879885.php

Ultimately we have two roster spots open and needs at four positions due to injury(DL, CB, OL, WR). Some of them won't be filled right away, but at two of those positions (CB and DL), the team is still carrying the injured players on the roster. At the other two, they are not. 

But glad we have a 3rd quarterback, 4th halfback, and 4th tight end on the roster at times like these.

Put CJ at WR. One problem solved. 

• Like 1