Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

Armstead: 

10 sacks, 62 pressures, 18 QB hits, 32 tackles, 11 TFL, 2 FF, 1 FR, 

Buckner: 

7.5 sacks, 55 pressures, 14 QB hits, 33 tackles, 9 TFL, 2 FF, 4 FR, 1 defensive touchdown

Similar numbers until this stat:  

Double Teams Faced: 

Armstead: 204

Buckner: 268

I swear, one of these years this forum will give poor DeForest Buckner some well-deserved love. 

Buckner was good, I actually argued he was better than some on here were giving him credit for being this season. However, Armstead was better. But position wise, Armstead gets knocked for being classified as an edge defender. He had more competition for his spot. 

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Buckner was good, I actually argued he was better than some on here were giving him credit for being this season. However, Armstead was better. But position wise, Armstead gets knocked for being classified as an edge defender. He had more competition for his spot. 

If Buckner and Armstead flipped their respective double teams that they faced, I strongly doubt that you would agree that Armstead was better. If Armstead got double-teamed at Buckner's rate, Buckner would have to miss 4 whole games for Armstead to catch up. 

But what too many remember is Buckner's second year, the first in the Shanahan era, when teams were not yet aware of him and he began to dominate. Then for two straight years he's doing the Justin Smith dirty work of attracting double teams and too many feel he regressed, or at least isn't playing at the same level. He is, it's just not as visible. And a lot of that has to do with having other finishers on the team. 

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

If Buckner and Armstead flipped their respective double teams that they faced, I strongly doubt that you would agree that Armstead was better. If Armstead got double-teamed at Buckner's rate, Buckner would have to miss 4 whole games for Armstead to catch up. 

But what too many remember is Buckner's second year, the first in the Shanahan era, when teams were not yet aware of him and he began to dominate. Then for two straight years he's doing the Justin Smith dirty work of attracting double teams and too many feel he regressed, or at least isn't playing at the same level. He is, it's just not as visible. And a lot of that has to do with having other finishers on the team. 

Those numbers for double teams are probably damn near the same when they rushed from the interior. If Buckner had to rush from the edge as much as Armstead, he wouldn't have more double teams, or the difference wouldn't be huge.

Buckner was really good, Armstead was just better. I don't think I am going out of the limb with that statement. 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

It's the opposite of that. It's tying us to him for longer by virtue of dead money

If the added two voidable years, wouldn’t that suggest they’re building in multiple outs of his contract to hedge the bet? 

I think he played very well this year before getting hurt, but this is the 3rd consecutive year he’s dealt with long-term injuries. It’s beginning to be hard to trust him. This deal seems like it’s one that shows that they like him but don’t trust his health.

23 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

If the added two voidable years, wouldn’t that suggest they’re building in multiple outs of his contract to hedge the bet? 

I think he played very well this year before getting hurt, but this is the 3rd consecutive year he’s dealt with long-term injuries. It’s beginning to be hard to trust him. This deal seems like it’s one that shows that they like him but don’t trust his health.

You can only lower the base by converting it. Basically, what they did was take his base, 6.5 million next year, and converted 5 million or so to bonus (probably closer to 5.5 or 5.6). That is prorated over the remainder of his contract. So that would have prorated essentially 1.67 (1.8 or so on the high end) million over the remainder of his contract (3 years left on the deal). They added voidable years (probably 2) to further thin that out, making it a 1 million prorated hit for each year or so (1.1 or so on the high end). Those voidable years won't hit, they are almost always imaginary and designed to void...so it'll be something like, if he's on the roster (which of course he has to be under contract), they will void, and we'll escalate the prorated portions to dead cap at that time in 2023, which obviously isn't a big deal (and will probably only be about 2 million). It's a trick that the Saints have done with Brees for years, to much bigger dead money implications. 

So theoretically, we could have cut him this off season and saved a little money (a little over 3 million). Now we are under water on the deal for the next year. Basically, he'll have a cap hit probably around 4 million, but a dead money cap hit of 10.6. In 2021, when we could have cut him and saved 7 million, he will now have a cap hit of probably 11.2 million but a dead money hit of probably 7.7 give or take. So we can still get out of it that year, but won't have nearly the savings. 

In the end, this probably doesn't affect all that much because it wasn't a ton of money (about 5.5 million or so), but he's not a guy I would have done this with. There were better options available for more money, most notably Jimmy, most of who's cap hit is base salary, and is clearly not going anywhere for at least 2 more years. We basically just tied ourselves to Richburg for an extra year, is all. 

These figures aren't exact of course, and I don't know if any further changes were made to the structure which may have changed some  of the cap hits for future years. I just used very rounded numbers to give a gist on what was happening. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

So Kwon is actually practicing, I thought I saw? Or just in the blue jersey still?

Pretty sure I read blue jersey but don’t remember where. One of the Matt’s I think. 

I’m convinced if he comes back along with Tart and Ford, this defense will be the first half of the year defense again. If we make it to the NFC championship and all 3 are playing, I’m gonna go bold and say we fairly easily go into Miami and take #6. Maybe overconfident, but I think at that point we have the #1 defense and one that is one of the best defenses in history.  And I think with Deebo no longer playing like a brand new rookie, Sanders on the team now, and both tackles in place..... the offense is not the weak link like it was in the first half of the season when the defense had to dominate.  Even Gould is making kicks these days!

Really feel like this bye and timing of people getting healthy makes this team unstoppable if Kwon really is coming back. 

Gosh I sure hope this post ages well. 

• Like 3

Nice! And we don't need to play Alexander all the snaps. Can play Greenlaw at his spot for some of the base downs and then Alexander can play the obvious passing downs.

I'll be honest, I saw a video of Ford running on Friday and he didn't look comfortable at all in his hammy. Now, still 8 days from the game from Friday, but I wouldn't be surprised if he doesn't play or if he does, isn't close to 100%. 

Still, super pumped we are getting healthy at the right time. Time to get back to playing defense close to the early season level.