Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

29 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

@Forge Mr. Salary cap expert, how do we make this happen??

Given that it's a couple of years out, it's actually not that hard. As @NcFinest9erFan said, the first thing would be dropping Ford. That basically covers most of it. Even if you assume Joey wants 22 million a year, Dee Ford gets you more than half way there with a 13 million dollar savings. After that, you extend Jimmy G (he'd only have 2 years on his deal at that point) for 3 more years, convert the base to signing bonus + whatever additional bonus you give him, and that would clear out the remainder most likely as you'd probably drop his cap hit from 27 million to probably 13. There will also be other cuts along the way, but yeah, it actually wouldn't be the most difficult thing ever for that particular year. Also, I'd kind of be surprised if Staley is still on the books then (12 million cap hit in 2021) which is eating into the space right now. 

Hard to gauge the entire spectrum though because we have guys who will get extensions and get cut along the way, there's a new CBA after next year so we don't know what that will look like, etc. 

• Like 1

Just now, 757-NINER said:

So nobody thinks Joey would take a slight paycut to play with his brother?? I think he might...

I would be very surprised. Specifically *because* it's the Bosas. This is a business for them and they treat it accordingly. If he takes a haircut, it's not going to be a big one. He's not going to leave multiple millions on the table. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Forge said:

I would be very surprised. Specifically *because* it's the Bosas. This is a business for them and they treat it accordingly. If he takes a haircut, it's not going to be a big one. He's not going to leave multiple millions on the table. 

And nor should he. 

But the negotiations will be interesting between them and Marathe lol.

Now what I don't get is how Bosa will be an UFA in 2021? Can't the Chargers just tag him? So we would have to trade for him? 

Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

And nor should he. 

But the negotiations will be interesting between them and Marathe lol.

Now what I don't get is how Bosa will be an UFA in 2021? Can't the Chargers just tag him? So we would have to trade for him? 

Yes, they can just tag him if they want, and I would expect that to be the case. Though we already know that Bosa is willing to hold out if that is not something he wants. 

3 hours ago, Chrissooner49er said:

xD That would be SO cool. The Bosa brothers as bookends to our DL! I would love it. Hmmmm....they would have to figure out who gets "97". My vote would be Nick.

Nick keeps 97, Joey takes 79. Now that's how you do bookends. 

• Like 1

18 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

So nobody thinks Joey would take a slight paycut to play with his brother?? I think he might...

No. Joey held out as a rookie and this would be his money-making contract. He's not going to take a discount on that contract. Maybe on the 3rd contract, but no one should take a discount on their second.