Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

On 11/27/2019 at 6:31 AM, y2lamanaki said:

it might not be as hard as we all think to keep Armstead. I gave him Trey Flowers exact contact, restructured Garoppolo's contract (effectively guaranteeing that he is our guy through 2021 at least), cut Goodwin/McKinnon, and viola - Arik Armstead has a 5-year contract at Trey Flowers numbers (guaranteeing he will be here through at least 2022). Not only that, but I brought back all the ERFAs, rendered Breida with a 2nd and Bourne/Elijah Lee with original round tenders, gave Emmanuel Sanders Golden Tate's contract (guaranteed he will be around through 2021), I gave Ward a 2 year deal with 8 mil/year and $10m in bonuses, and I extended Buckner with the Fletcher Cox's contract. 

And we have $3M to spare.

Did you make Goodwin or McKinnon post June 1st cuts? Could save extra money that way by floating it down the road a little farther 

I really really like this though. Was worried we wouldn't be able to keep everyone. 

5 hours ago, N4L said:

Did you make Goodwin or McKinnon post June 1st cuts? Could save extra money that way by floating it down the road a little farther 

I really really like this though. Was worried we wouldn't be able to keep everyone. 

I think I gave the post-June 1 cut to McKinnon actually. Don't remember for sure. 

38 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

I think I gave the post-June 1 cut to McKinnon actually. Don't remember for sure. 

Well, then you need to go back and remember exactly what you did!!!!!

Seriously though, I don't think we bring back Ward. He's playing great and has always been a good player when healthy, but you can't trust his health and Moore seems to be next up. He was super disciplined early on when he played but just needs to work on the angles he takes on tackles. That is something he can work on but I feel like he will break out next season and become more of a play maker just as he was all throughout TC.

Armstead at this point is a MUST have. I know at first we said Thomas can replace him, but he's playing at such an high level he really can't be replaced. But that bugs the question, are you going to be really paying about 40M a year to him and Buckner as well as paying Ford? Maybe can get rid of Ford following next season and just draft his replacement or sign someone in free agency? 

I don't know, but I want majority of the crew back next season as this is a special defense in the making. Can be what Seattle was for so many years and quite frankly even better with a stronger front four. 

Armstead over Ward on priority, sure.

Still... I don't imagine other teams will overlook Ward's injury history either. So maybe we can work something out that is fair on both ends.. assuming he really wants to stay, which would seem likely. A strong offer, but one that does rely on his.. reliability. 

23 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Everyone seems to think Robert Saleh will at least get some HC interviews, maybe even score the top job somewhere. Definitely could happen. 

If the 49ers defense has a good showing against the Ravens, and if they win the game, his stock will continue to go up as a head coaching candidate. Also, being fairly young, in great shape, and having a friendly persona are bonuses that would only help him in the interview process. I hope he doesn't go to the Redskins. 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Um, so looks like Goodwin may not play this week either. Welp, and Taylor is pretty much out for the season. James/Samuel/Sanders/Bourne is still fine, but we need another WR on the active roster. 

Wouldn't be surprised if we don't see another snap from Goodwin as a 49er. Damn, homie got his contract and peaced out as a contributor. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Um, so looks like Goodwin may not play this week either. Welp, and Taylor is pretty much out for the season. James/Samuel/Sanders/Bourne is still fine, but we need another WR on the active roster. 

I thought we might see something like this regarding Goodwin. Last year beat writers were saying how the staff wanted to replace Goodwin in the starting lineup because if he is even slightly dinged up he won't be effective. Not shocking that he's dealing with some nagging injury stuff and has been inactive with it.

He's got to be done with the team after the year.

On 11/28/2019 at 12:16 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm already on record saying Saleh makes Mike his OC. Those guys are all very close and sharp football minds. 

We are fine though. I wouldn't be surprised if we make Woods our DC or even Ryans. If the Broncos get rid of Fangio, maybe we can even bring him in but that's unlikely. 

Not sure which Mike you are referring too, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see McDaniel get poached. He is the guy I would rather hang onto personally between him and LaFleur. I do think McDaniels is very respected in the coaching community though and it is a matter of time before he’s gone.

7 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Not sure which Mike you are referring too, but I wouldn’t be surprised to see McDaniel get poached. He is the guy I would rather hang onto personally between him and LaFleur. I do think McDaniels is very respected in the coaching community though and it is a matter of time before he’s gone.

I actually said in the past McDaniels, but after hearing how close he is with the LaFluer's, I'm now thinking it will be him. 

McDaniels could be picked up for sure. But I want to see if teams stop trying to hire these offensive assistants after this year. I mean let's be real, not like the Packers offense has been THAT great this year and we know the mess in Cincy. Just because you coach under McVay and Shanny, doesn't mean you will be a replicate of them. Teams clearly went the offensive route this past offseason, I'm just curious to see if that changes this year. 

• Like 1