Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

10 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

Patrick Willis

This is really a Hall of Fame resume. It's just not a first, second, or even third ballot Hall of Famer resume. Here's a perfect comparison:

• Zack Thomas

• 7× Pro Bowl (1999-2003, 2005, 2006)
  • 5× First-team All-Pro (1998, 1999, 2002, 2003, 2006)
  • 2x Second-team All-Pro (2001, 2005)
  • PFWA All-Rookie Team (1996)
  • More Defensive Player of the Week and Defensive Player of the Month awards than Patrick Willis 
  • More tackles (solo and assisted), more TFLs, more INTs, more defensive touchdowns than Patrick Willis. Same numbers in forced fumbles and sacks.

With the exception of Rookie of the Year and the Butkus Award (which didn't exist for pros until his final season), Zach Thomas's career equaled or bested Patrick Willis's in every way. While he played more seasons, his main run of dominance was over a similar time period as Patrick Willis's career (Thomas over 9 seasons, Willis over 8). 

Zach Thomas first became eligible for the Hall in 2014 and is a first time finalist in 2020.

Willis might have been a first ballot player had he continued playing out a full career, but we'll never know. We'll never know if he would go on to break Zach Thomas's Pro Bowl/All-pro numbers, or if he would merely be a good starter for a few more years. Nobody knows when or where a player's cliff is. So what we know is Zach Thomas and Patrick Willis accrued similar accolades, we know none of Patrick Willis's numbers are better than Zach Thomas's. 

So there's zero reason to believe Patrick Willis should get in before Zach Thomas, and he probably should get in on a similar timeframe as Zach Thomas. As of now, that means becoming a finalist in his 6th year of eligibility. 

10 hours ago, N4L said:

If you don't think he deserves to at least be a finalist in this overcrowded /oversized class, then maybe you do need to see his resume lol 

Patrick Willis is a first ballot unanimous HOF level football player on the field and a first rate human being off of it. Epitome of class and character. Frankly, not being recognized as such by the voters is a travesty imo 

you're preaching to the choir homie. 

Bowman will need to wait even longer than Pat, and his resume isnt too different. 

24 minutes ago, nayad said:

But he made more all pros than Calvin Johnson. wasnt that your argument for P-willy? 

He might not get in at all, or he might have to wait till 2035. 

My argument for PWilly was that CJ only played a year more than him and PWilly had better accolades and the better overall career even though CJ had an absolute ATG stretch at one point. Bowman doesn't have the body of work that PWilly has and after his injury, he just wasn't the same and was hurt too much. Maybe if Bowman put together two more All Pro caliber seasons, then he would have a case. But PWilly and Bowman are not comparable. 

Just now, 49erurtaza said:

This seems like a win 

That's exactly what I didn't want to do. It means they pushed money into the future and tied us to him for longer. I didn't want that for a guy that is having trouble staying healthy. 

Kittle made 1st team all pro and Buckner/Sherman made 2nd team all pro.

Shame how Armstead didn't make 2nd team all pro as he deserved it over Buckner. Though if they put Armstead at edge then it gets a little tricky.

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Kittle made 1st team all pro and Buckner/Sherman made 2nd team all pro.

Shame how Armstead didn't make 2nd team all pro as he deserved it over Buckner. Though if they put Armstead at edge then it gets a little tricky.

I figured Sherm to get AP second team, and it was nice to see Kittle get the first team (I wasn't sure if he would get it based on games missed), but yeah, the Buckner second team is a little funny. I mean, he's been fine this year, but it wasn't a great year at all in my opinion. 

3 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

This really seems like the confidence in Richburg has dwindled a little. My guess is it's more so because of injuries than anything else. He just can't stay healthy. I would love to draft an IOL early. Getting the next Erik McCoy would be lovely. 

Much deserved by those 3 dudes. 

Armstead had a great year but its tough to put him over Cam Jordan, Watt, Jones, and Barretts crazy season. 

I feel like Warner might have been snubbed though. The list I see has Watt at both Edge rusher (1st team) and LB (2nd team)

6 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

This really seems like the confidence in Richburg has dwindled a little. My guess is it's more so because of injuries than anything else. He just can't stay healthy. I would love to draft an IOL early. Getting the next Erik McCoy would be lovely. 

It's the opposite of that. It's tying us to him for longer by virtue of dead money

11 minutes ago, nayad said:

Much deserved by those 3 dudes. 

Armstead had a great year but its tough to put him over Cam Jordan, Watt, Jones, and Barretts crazy season. 

I feel like Warner might have been snubbed though. The list I see has Watt at both Edge rusher (1st team) and LB (2nd team)

Eh, I don't know. Davis and Kendricks were legit picks (and far bigger pro bowl snubs). Funny story - Davis had a pro bowl incentive in his contract, but not an all pro one. So he gets snubbed for the pro bowl for some reason, but gets a first team all pro, and his contract incentive doesn't kick in. That's some crap right there lol. 

But Kendricks / Davis absolutely deserved the team. Leonard has probably had the better season than warner. Kuechly is probably the one that shouldn't be there. I could easily make a case for Warner over Kuechly, but impossible to overcome the name value sometimes.