Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

1 minute ago, John232 said:

How are we feeling about Ford going forward? I would like to keep him another year, but at this point, I don't see him being a long term fixture and i rather move his money onto guys like Kittle, AA, Buck and Warner. 

How the pass rush has performed without Ford in the rotation should be a pretty clear indication of whether or not he should stick around. This becomes even more true if the pass rush returns when he does. But it would definitely be wiser to invest long-term in the four you mentioned. Maybe the solution would be to wait a year to find a replacement for Ford first, and then look to move on in 2021 which is when Warner would be potentially extended anyway. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, John232 said:

How are we feeling about Ford going forward? I would like to keep him another year, but at this point, I don't see him being a long term fixture and i rather move his money onto guys like Kittle, AA, Buck and Warner. 

I doubt that he's one and done. He'll have to have a good, healthy season though next year to justify a third season here.

I don't think his cap hit will stand in the way of resigning anyone we want to keep, but if it does, I think that's when you can have a serious conversation about his situation since I think he'll still have trade value

• Like 1

I think I read somewhere earlier this year that he’s going to have surgery this offseason that should help correct his chronic knee issues. Hopefully that is the case as most of his injury issues seem to be of the lower body variety. 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

I think I read somewhere earlier this year that he’s going to have surgery this offseason that should help correct his chronic knee issues. Hopefully that is the case as most of his injury issues seem to be of the lower body variety. 

He has had chronic knee issues since college. He said in a interview that it will pretty much be with him for the rest of his life so its not really something surgery can fix. They would have corrected already if that were the case. It can help to an extent but he said he's been dealing with it since college and that he's never played one season as a pro where he was 100% so it wasn't something he wasn't too worried about. And he wouldn't be the first player to have a pretty good career with chronic knee issues/discomfort. That being said, if we were to acquired a younger, healthier edge player to pair along with Bosa, I don't think we would hesitate in moving on from Ford. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

He has had chronic knee issues since college. He said in a interview that it will pretty much be with him for the rest of his life so its not really something surgery can fix. They would have corrected already if that were the case. It can help to an extent but he said he's been dealing with it since college and that he's never played one season as a pro where he was 100% so it wasn't something he wasn't too worried about. And he wouldn't be the first player to have a pretty good career with chronic knee issues/discomfort. That being said, if we were to acquired a younger, healthier edge player to pair along with Bosa, I don't think we would hesitate in moving on from Ford. 

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/dee-ford-says-knee-issue-will-not-hinder-him-first-49ers-season

maybe I misinterpreted that, but I don’t know why he would have surgery if he didn’t expect it to fix the issue or at least improve the condition.

43 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/dee-ford-says-knee-issue-will-not-hinder-him-first-49ers-season

maybe I misinterpreted that, but I don’t know why he would have surgery if he didn’t expect it to fix the issue or at least improve the condition.

I think it will help the discomfort but ultimately it will never be 'right' so to speak...

6 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

I'm good with Dee for one more season, but after, it probably looks like the right time to pull that expensive plug. 

Kind of my thinking too. Dee is an elite pass rusher, but I fear his unavailability will render the contract untenable long term. The obvious thing we can do is restructure the deal next offseason 

Just now, Dub_City30 said:

I like him once he gets surgery and heals up hes def worth keeping if we dont keep Armstead. 

Yeah, I mean, I'd sure like to see him prove that he's worth keeping. At his price tag and the durability lately, I just have my strong doubts he is retained, after next season. 

• Like 1