Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

10 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

Can he possibly have been promised the DC job if/when Saleh leaves? it sure could look better on his resume to run our well-oiled machine instead of trying to rebuild the Browns'.

That's instantly what came to my mind. Saleh likely gets a gig next year and in steps Woods as the DC. 

But guaranteed DC offer may be too hard to pass on. 

5 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

That's instantly what came to my mind. Saleh likely gets a gig next year and in steps Woods as the DC. 

But guaranteed DC offer may be too hard to pass on. 

Yeah, especially because the browns do have a ton of talent on defense. Their front 4 is very talented. Denzel ward and the other corner they have whose name escapes me right now are really good young corners. They obviously aren't us, but they do have pieces there. 1-2 more drafts away from being really really good on that side of the ball 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Yeah, especially because the browns do have a ton of talent on defense. Their front 4 is very talented. Denzel ward and the other corner they have whose name escapes me right now are really good young corners. They obviously aren't us, but they do have pieces there. 1-2 more drafts away from being really really good on that side of the ball 

Greedy Williams.

Yeah, they have a bunch of talent on the defensive side. No reason they shouldn't be borderline top 10. 

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/28/richard-sherman-wanted-to-put-jim-harbaugh-out-of-the-league/

Sherman played for Harbaugh at Stanford, and the 49ers cornerback said earlier this season that Harbaugh accused Sherman of quitting on his teammates by undergoing season-ending surgery in 2008. Sherman, then a wide receiver, wasn’t allowed to play offense in his redshirt junior year and fell to the fifth round in the draft.

“They may put me in the dictionary next to ‘irony’ at some point after this story is written,” Sherman said, via ninersnation.com. “At the end of the day, I’m a football player. I’m here to help my team win. Whether it’s the San Francisco 49ers, or whoever I’m playing with. Jed [York] had a funny story about when I was coming out because they [San Francisco] had a higher draft grade on me than most teams, and Harbaugh came and took me off the draft board, and he was really upset about that.”

So Harbs apparently accused Sherman of quitting on his team for having season ending surgery and took him off the Niners draft board despite a higher draft grade than that (i read somewhere else it was a 3rd round grade). If true....no wonder he dislikes Harbs

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2020/01/28/richard-sherman-wanted-to-put-jim-harbaugh-out-of-the-league/

So Harbs apparently accused Sherman of quitting on his team for having season ending surgery and took him off the Niners draft board despite a higher draft grade than that (i read somewhere else it was a 3rd round grade). If true....no wonder he dislikes Harbs

I've soured on Harbaugh more and more as the years go on. He ended up being a pretty overrated HC, IMO.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

I've soured on Harbaugh more and more as the years go on. He ended up being a pretty overrated HC, IMO.

The "leaks" era was pretty embarassing for our team, but there seemed to be something behind those. It's not only the management that soured on Harbaugh, but the players as well. Alex Boone was pretty vocal about it when he left. It seems like Harbaugh was always going to wear out his welcome, and the reason why I thought he'd be better suited to the college game is the fast turnover of the rosters. Players would stay 4-5 years at most. But in the NFL, it wasn't going to be sustainable.

Now, had he been a genius, I could have endured a little more, and so would have the players and management. But his offensive philosophy wasn't revolutionary. The defense wasn't his at all. He was a great pep talker, and had tremendous energy, but he couldn't just purely will his team to victory, when it needed more strategy. But to see how he alienated his players at every level, you can just tell he's never really be a championship-caliber HC. His best shot was his first two years with us. I don't think he'll ever get another similar chance.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

The "leaks" era was pretty embarassing for our team, but there seemed to be something behind those. It's not only the management that soured on Harbaugh, but the players as well. Alex Boone was pretty vocal about it when he left. It seems like Harbaugh was always going to wear out his welcome, and the reason why I thought he'd be better suited to the college game is the fast turnover of the rosters. Players would stay 4-5 years at most. But in the NFL, it wasn't going to be sustainable.

Now, had he been a genius, I could have endured a little more, and so would have the players and management. But his offensive philosophy wasn't revolutionary. The defense wasn't his at all. He was a great pep talker, and had tremendous energy, but he couldn't just purely will his team to victory, when it needed more strategy. But to see how he alienated his players at every level, you can just tell he's never really be a championship-caliber HC. His best shot was his first two years with us. I don't think he'll ever get another similar chance.

Harbaugh is always really good for the first few years with the team, but he always wears out his welcome. It's like he just can't help but get on people's nerves, eventually. 

I was so excited when he came to the 49ers, but looking back on it after having a HC like Shanahan, he wasn't all he was cracked up to be.

I usually am a coach supporter but I was ready for Harbs to leave when he was did, I was so tired with the disfunction that was permeating through everything. I thought he was a good coach too and I think he helped give the team a toughness that they lacked before but the teams success was more a function of player talent than anything.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Harbaugh is always really good for the first few years with the team, but he always wears out his welcome. It's like he just can't help but get on people's nerves, eventually. 

I was so excited when he came to the 49ers, but looking back on it after having a HC like Shanahan, he wasn't all he was cracked up to be.

He wants everyone to be on edge. So he pushes everyone, the FO, the coaches, the players, until they're on the edge, so that they go out and play out of their minds. But when he pushes too far, those guys on the edge fall on the other side of the fence and look back to see what he really is. A bully who isn't as smart about football as he projects out to be.

Now we have Kyle, who is also a guy who likes to push everyone to be their best, but he does it in a much more nurturing way, and he also welcomes criticism. Harbaugh never truly cared about developing a relationship with his players. He only pushed them to give their best. He used them as pawns. I got into a twitter war once when I disputed Harbaugh's moniker as a "QB whisperer"... he never truly made any of his QBs better. He never worked with them. Never changed the mechanics, or explained coverages, or anything. All he did was shelter them, and put the QBs in a situation where they could look good, rather than actually be good. It was more cosmetic than anything. Sure, sometimes the individual talent took those plays further, but it nothing to do with Harbaugh. Alex and Kap did more for Harbaugh than Harbaugh did for either of them. Had these two had Kyle as a HC, they'd be far better QBs than what they've been, in my opinion. Kyle would play to his QB's strength, whereas Harbaugh would mask the weaknesses. Kyle would teach, whereas Harbaugh would motivate.

I'm happy with where we are now.

• Like 4

1 minute ago, rudyZ said:

He wants everyone to be on edge. So he pushes everyone, the FO, the coaches, the players, until they're on the edge, so that they go out and play out of their minds. But when he pushes too far, those guys on the edge fall on the other side of the fence and look back to see what he really is. A bully who isn't as smart about football as he projects out to be.

Now we have Kyle, who is also a guy who likes to push everyone to be their best, but he does it in a much more nurturing way, and he also welcomes criticism. Harbaugh never truly cared about developing a relationship with his players. He only pushed them to give their best. He used them as pawns. I got into a twitter war once when I disputed Harbaugh's moniker as a "QB whisperer"... he never truly made any of his QBs better. He never worked with them. Never changed the mechanics, or explained coverages, or anything. All he did was shelter them, and put the QBs in a situation where they could look good, rather than actually be good. It was more cosmetic than anything. Sure, sometimes the individual talent took those plays further, but it nothing to do with Harbaugh. Alex and Kap did more for Harbaugh than Harbaugh did for either of them. Had these two had Kyle as a HC, they'd be far better QBs than what they've been, in my opinion. Kyle would play to his QB's strength, whereas Harbaugh would mask the weaknesses. Kyle would teach, whereas Harbaugh would motivate.

I'm happy with where we are now.

I remember Randy Moss said Jim wouldn't let them play cards on the plane...

2 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

I remember Randy Moss said Jim wouldn't let them play cards on the plane...

That's understandable. Turn those damn lights off, we're trying to sleep here!!!

P.S. Imagine being Jim's neighbour. Must be hell. But I'd still mow my lawn early on the weekend just to piss him off.

Edited by rudyZ
  • Like 1

I wonder where Harbaugh will end up when he wears out his welcome in Ann Arbor, which he seems to be in the process of doing. Maybe a crappy NFL team gives him another shot? Or one of the crappier teams in the Power 5, like an Oregon State? I think he would do well at a Group of 5 school. He could probably go nearly undefeated yearly in a weak conference and have the team play in a nice bowl game. I just don't know if NFL teams or major college programs will want him. If he burned bridges in SF with that talented of a roster and he can't even win at his alma mater with top recruits, then why would he find success with a crap NFL roster or at a school where recruiting is difficult? (And yes, I know that the 49ers' roster when he took over was kinda crappy, but he actually inherited a lot of good players.)

3 minutes ago, struby3 said:

I wonder where Harbaugh will end up when he wears out his welcome in Ann Arbor, which he seems to be in the process of doing. Maybe a crappy NFL team gives him another shot? Or one of the crappier teams in the Power 5, like an Oregon State? I think he would do well at a Group of 5 school. He could probably go nearly undefeated yearly in a weak conference and have the team play in a nice bowl game. I just don't know if NFL teams or major college programs will want him. If he burned bridges in SF with that talented of a roster and he can't even win at his alma mater with top recruits, then why would he find success with a crap NFL roster or at a school where recruiting is difficult? (And yes, I know that the 49ers' roster when he took over was kinda crappy, but he actually inherited a lot of good players.)

I think he could get another job in the NFL. It takes only one stupid owner (which the NFL has plenty of) to look only at his first 3 years with us, and ignore the stories, and take his brother's success into account, and boom, we have Jim Harbaugh Part Deux.

18 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

I think he could get another job in the NFL. It takes only one stupid owner (which the NFL has plenty of) to look only at his first 3 years with us, and ignore the stories, and take his brother's success into account, and boom, we have Jim Harbaugh Part Deux.

I hope so. As a football fan, it would make an interesting story