Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

On 9/30/2020 at 2:58 AM, Forge said:

Definitely not this year. 

I could see something in the off season on his RFA tag if we re-sign CJ on the super cheap and feel comfortable with him as the back up (not sure how we could feel that way, but I won't discount its possibility) or we sign / trade for a former highly drafted cast off who has busted thus far (Darnold, Trubisky, etc) to see if we could get them right to potentially be a cheap starter to replace Jimmy with in this system. 

Funny-8.gif

• Like 1

On 10/1/2020 at 1:55 AM, Gore Whore 21 said:

I kind of doubt we move on from Jimmy after this year. He's been a solid starter for us and there is no better options available. He's actually pretty affordable at this point as far as starting QBs go. I really don't think this regime would make a change just to make a change. There would have to be a clear upgrade available, which I don't see. Matt Ryan would be the only one worth considering as being an upgrade if he's made available. Cousins isn't better than Jimmy IMO and if the Raiders moved on from Carr, I don't see that as an upgrade either. I don't think there is any way in hell where we move on for Jimmy G for a guy like Trubisky or Darnold; that's just bad business. 

I'd rather have Mullens replace Jimmy than Shanahan try to fix Carr, Trubisky, or Darnold. Toddler throwing arm be damned. 

43 minutes ago, TecmoSuperJoe said:

I'd rather have Mullens replace Jimmy than Shanahan try to fix Carr, Trubisky, or Darnold. Toddler throwing arm be damned. 

There's nothing wrong with carr. He's just not awesome, but neither is Jimmy. 

Darnold will definitely get a crack somewhere. Worst situation in football by a decent margin, and everyone gets better away from gase. 

Trubisky is toast. I didn't even like him as a prospect. Hoping we don't go that route, but I could see how he appeals to people. But he can't see the field and he's not accurate

20 hours ago, John232 said:

Bucs fans were pretty high on Daniel Helm,. Saw people pulling for him replacing Brate for cap reasons. 

I liked Helm a lot. He was being groomed to be a Juice-type of H-back. I'm glad we have him back. If you want to learn how to be a TE or FB and be scheme versatile, there's no better place than the 49ers to do that. 

7 hours ago, Forge said:

There's nothing wrong with carr. He's just not awesome, but neither is Jimmy. 

Darnold will definitely get a crack somewhere. Worst situation in football by a decent margin, and everyone gets better away from gase. 

Trubisky is toast. I didn't even like him as a prospect. Hoping we don't go that route, but I could see how he appeals to people. But he can't see the field and he's not accurate

While I agree, it was pretty funny seeing him sack himself last night. From the little bit I've seen of Darnold I've come to the conclusion that he holds the ball way too long. Idk if it's because he has literally no one that can get open or if he isn't processing things fast enough, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket by any means. 

55 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

While I agree, it was pretty funny seeing him sack himself last night. From the little bit I've seen of Darnold I've come to the conclusion that he holds the ball way too long. Idk if it's because he has literally no one that can get open or if he isn't processing things fast enough, but I wouldn't put all my eggs in that basket by any means. 

Definitely not. There's a good chance he is broken for good. That being said, there is the gase thing lol

There are very few things in sports as depressing as seeing talented QB's get utterly broken down by incompetent coaching staffs. It really is incredible how Alex Smith was able to recover his game. Testament as to why he was taken number 1 overall. I thought he'd get to the chiefs and be out of their in two years. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Forge said:

He was on our PS all last year. 

He actually got called up in December because other teams were sniffing around (according to Barrows). But then he was cut before training camp, which is weird. SF didn't want to lose him to another team, but then willing cut him loose, only to bring him back again. He is the offensive Dontae Johnson.

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

He has the same bad habits now that he had in college. Holding the ball too long, trying to do too much, fumbling/turning the ball over. staring down WRs and throwing late.

He would make a ton of bad plays and then string a few incredible throws together and youd be like "ok, I see why they like this kid" but the bad outweighed the good. Its why the browns chose baker over him lol 

So gase isnt helping him, but its not like gase is the reason for his failures. Again, same bad habits now that he had then. 

I scouted him heavily that season because we were 0-9 and I thought we would have a chance to take a QB. Was not a fan of his and was glad we werent in a position to make that mistake. 

With that being said, if he wants to come be our backup here, I am all for it, but I think we should look to find a diamond in the rough that fits the system that we can draft and have on a rookie deal.

The QB coaching on the lower levels is so damn good right now. We will be able to find someone who is moderately polished who is good at processing information. Hopefully he can run a little bit too 

What does everyone here think of BYU's QB? I really like what I have seen from him the last two games. would be a great 4th or 5th round pick I think