Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

5 minutes ago, Geek said:

Wouldn't we just put Hasty back on the PS?

No. The tweet I shared in my post said that three teams have been interested in scooping him up and he actually turned down a spot on an active roster elsewhere to stay with us. 

he’s locked in on our 53 unless we want to risk losing him for good.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

So, this brings up an interesting conversation. What happens when Mostert, Coleman, and Wilson come back healthy? What happens when all 5 RBs are healthy at once, what happens to the roster build?

Mostert

McKinnon

Coleman

Wilson

Hasty

Who goes and who stays this season?

My guess is that we don't see Wilson again this season unless someone goes on IR again. They will just keep him on IR. I think the team will keep the other 4 on the roster. We did it last year at one point when Coleman went down at the start of the season. He missed two games or whatever and we played Breida / Mostert / Wilson with Coleman still taking up a roster spot because of the short turn around time. 

8 hours ago, Forge said:

My guess is that we don't see Wilson again this season unless someone goes on IR again. They will just keep him on IR. I think the team will keep the other 4 on the roster. We did it last year at one point when Coleman went down at the start of the season. He missed two games or whatever and we played Breida / Mostert / Wilson with Coleman still taking up a roster spot because of the short turn around time. 

I think banking on another injury to prevent the log jam is probably the most likely outcome.

I was thinking about McKinnon and his weird game last week and I'm wondering if he didn't play as much because his leg/knee is sore rather than the rest because of workload response from Shanahan. I'm wondering if we get Coleman back this week and Mostert back around the bye if they just put McKinnon on the IR for 3 weeks at the bye to give his knee rest for the stretch run to the playoffs. 

• 2 weeks later...

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-2020-midseason-all-pro-team

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-midseason-all-rookie-team-week-10

PFF posted their midseason all-pro & all-rookie teams. 

Fred Warner & Jason Verrett made the all-pro squad. Trent Williams made 2nd team. Well deserved for all. I could imagine all 3 getting new contracts/contract extensions this offseason. 

Kittle didn't make it; their reasoning is he's missed time due to injury. 

Aiyuk & Javon Kinlaw did not make the all-rookie squad. Aiyuk could get there as the year goes on. Kinlaw was flashing early in the year but seems to have become invisible lately...

55 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-pff-2020-midseason-all-pro-team

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-midseason-all-rookie-team-week-10

PFF posted their midseason all-pro & all-rookie teams. 

Fred Warner & Jason Verrett made the all-pro squad. Trent Williams made 2nd team. Well deserved for all. I could imagine all 3 getting new contracts/contract extensions this offseason. 

Kittle didn't make it; their reasoning is he's missed time due to injury. 

Aiyuk & Javon Kinlaw did not make the all-rookie squad. Aiyuk could get there as the year goes on. Kinlaw was flashing early in the year but seems to have become invisible lately...

Warner and Williams are elite but are obviously going to cost a lot as well. We have to give them extensions but not sure on Verrett. He's been great, but his injury history cannot be ignored. I do wonder if we just let him hit the market and sign elsewhere. I know some think we let Sherman go and re-sign Verrett but I don't see it that way. I think they keep Sherman between the two. 

Aiyuk is going to be a stud for years to come. Not worried about him not being on the midseason all pro teams, especially with how good the rookie WR class has been. Aiyuk has missed two games and started a bit slow. Will be the #1 WR on this team for years to come. 

Kinlaw played pretty well against the Packers. Started to make plays in the run. Needs to add variety to his pass rush to take the next step. Interested in seeing who he works out with in the summer. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Warner and Williams are elite but are obviously going to cost a lot as well. We have to give them extensions but not sure on Verrett. He's been great, but his injury history cannot be ignored. I do wonder if we just let him hit the market and sign elsewhere. I know some think we let Sherman go and re-sign Verrett but I don't see it that way. I think they keep Sherman between the two. 

Sherman needs to be a lower priority than offensive line / Trent Williams. He's 33 years old and health has started to catch up with him. His play can drop off a cliff any time now. I'm probably only super interested if he's taking a one year deal at a lower value. I can't be tying up half our available cap space into a 33 year old corner with multiple years of lower leg injuries. 

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Forge said:

Sherman needs to be a lower priority than offensive line / Trent Williams. He's 33 years old and health has started to catch up with him. His play can drop off a cliff any time now. I'm probably only super interested if he's taking a one year deal at a lower value. I can't be tying up half our available cap space into a 33 year old corner with multiple years of lower leg injuries. 

That's the thing, with his age and injury, he's not going to have all that much value. May still be more expensive than Verrett, but he's clearly one of the team's leader and his play thus far has not slipped. Let's see how he finishes the season. Is it possible? Of course, but I think they will try to bring him back.

The heavy hitters getting big deals will be Williams and Warner. 

38 minutes ago, Forge said:

Yeah, there's no way I'm making Sherman a priority. Much rather go after a younger, cheaper alternative who could fit well in the system.

As of right now, the way things are going, what is the expected salary cap for the NFL next year? Is there a sliver of a chance it goes up? — Richard H.

Lynch told Greg Papa on NBCSBA recently that he’s expecting the 2021 cap to fall in the $180 million-to-$195 million range. A few months ago, when $175 million was announced as the lowest it could go, many people just assumed that’d be the number. I never assumed that. Teams need some maneuverability, and $180 million to $190 million gives them a bit of it. It’s a lot lower than it would’ve been without the pandemic, but it’s not going to force teams to bail from spending entirely. That’s a good compromise.

From Kawakami mailbag.

If it is 190-195M, obviously that would be great for us. 

43 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

From Kawakami mailbag.

If it is 190-195M, obviously that would be great for us. 

It would be great for everyone. Would be weird to lose hundreds of millions in gate revenue and only have the cap go down 3 million though. unless they are really getting a ton more from the extra playoff games and the tv money is way up.

Trading/releasing Jimmy G will add a good amount of cap room. Hoping we let Sherman walk. He's old, too expensive and past him prime. Time to move on. Warner definitely needs to be retained. Trent Williams should also be retained but only if the price is right. I would not overpay him.

• Like 1