Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

8 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

PFF's FA predictions.

5. T Trent Williams

After not playing a snap in 2019, Williams is back in his rightful place as one of the league’s best offensive tackles. He can play in any scheme, moving defenders at the point of attack or cutting them off on the backside of zone plays, while linebackers must keep their head on a swivel because he attacks the second level with a vengeance.

Williams has basically never had a bad season in the NFL, with his rookie year being by far the lowest overall PFF grade he has posted (63.4). He hit at least a 75.6 mark in every other season. He has shown elite-level play in multiple schemes and now multiple cities, and he looks capable of being the next great left tackle to play well into their 30s at a high level.

Contract Analysis: Williams quietly has regained his All-Pro form in San Francisco following a lengthy holdout with the Washington Football Team. He’s been as patient as an individual can be, and he’ll finally be cashing out as a reward.

Prediction: 49ers sign Williams for four years, $80 million ($20M APY): $62.5 million total guaranteed, $45 million fully guaranteed at signing.

21. CB Richard Sherman

One of the best cornerbacks of his generation, Richard Sherman is still playing the game at a high level, but his age and relative lack of scheme diversity will scare a lot of potential suitors off.

Last year, once fully recovered from an Achilles injury, Sherman had one of the best seasons of his entire career, allowing just 227 receiving yards all season long. He surrendered a passer rating of just 46.8 before things came unglued a little in the Super Bowl loss to Kansas City.

Sherman’s intelligence and tape study gives him a mental edge over most offenses he faces, and that more than makes up for less than stellar straight-line speed. In the kind of defense he plays in San Francisco, he can remain a valuable player even at his age and could be an attractive short-term option for a number of teams in need of a quick fix.

Contract Analysis: Sherman is at the “mercenary” stage of his career where he can sign short-term deals with contenders until he decides to hang up his cleats, much like Darrelle Revis in 2014 when he signed a one-year, $12M deal with the Patriots that included a $20M option for 2015 (the option was declined and Revis returned to the Jets).

Prediction: 49ers sign Sherman for two-years, $28 million ($14M APY): $18M total guaranteed, $14M fully guaranteed at signing.

Those APY numbers make my stomach hurt. If we're bringing these two guys back, their 2021 cap hits need to be smaller. I'm thinking they might have to be back-loaded deals.

Edited by NinerNation21
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

Those APY numbers make my stomach hurt. If we're bringing these two guys back, their 2021 cap hits need to be smaller. I'm thinking they might have to be back-loaded deals.

If we're signing guys to these deals, Jimmy is gone then. No way we afford them at those numbers. 

2 minutes ago, John232 said:

If we're signing guys to these deals, Jimmy is gone then. No way we afford them at those numbers. 

If we're letting Jimmy go, then I'd rather not sign those guys, to be honest. To me, releasing Jimmy tells me we'd be punting 2021 because there aren't any better options available in free agency and a trade for someone like Stafford would put us in an even bigger financial hole, plus a loss of valuable draft picks.

5 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

If we're letting Jimmy go, then I'd rather not sign those guys, to be honest. To me, releasing Jimmy tells me we'd be punting 2021 because there aren't any better options available in free agency and a trade for someone like Stafford would put us in an even bigger financial hole, plus a loss of valuable draft picks.

You're punting it if you keep Jimmy and lose everyone. That's what makes this difficult. You can't sign everyone, but you can't lose everyone. Trent Williams is a must sign, though Sherm probably has to go. I love him, but 33 years old with injury issues (lower leg ones at that) and I'm out. Jimmy isn't a good QB. He's not carrying this team. It's easier to replace him and his production in this system than it is Trent Williams. 

Stafford would be cheaper than Jimmy, though I'm not sure he'd be worth the pick compensation (I'd guess we'd more likely offer a 2022 first than one this year though). 

There shouldn't be a problem affording Jimmy and Trent Williams. The question then becomes about the other guys. 

15 minutes ago, John232 said:

Sherm is the hard part of that equation. I think you have to walk away from that. You cannot let Trent Williams walk. It sucks, but you simply can't replace him and this line is awful with him lol. Imagine this line without him lol. We can afford Jimmy and Trent though..you just have to be willing to tie yourself to Trent for a few years, which isn't a major issue. His age isn't a problem, hes still playing at a quality level, and we have first hand experience that Tackles can play effectively into their mid 30's. 

You're not signing both. Its one or the other. Warner's extension is a must so only one of them is coming back at those prices.

I think they'll probably go with Williams if I had to choose right now. But I wouldn't be shocked if Sherm cost less and subsequently was the one to return.

Just now, Forge said:

Sherm is the hard part of that equation. I think you have to walk away from that. You cannot let Trent Williams walk. It sucks, but you simply can't replace him and this line is awful with him lol. Imagine this line without him lol. We can afford Jimmy and Trent though..you just have to be willing to tie yourself to Trent for a few years, which isn't a major issue. His age isn't a problem, hes still playing at a quality level, and we have first hand experience that Tackles can play effectively into their mid 30's. 

You type too fast.  Trying to respond to previous posts. 

But yeah, I choose Sherm over Jimmy. First off. Sherm is pretty clearly a leader for this team. Second, I think he's more likely to take a team friendly deal and thus not screw ourselves long term re-signing him. That's not really the case with Jimmy. Though he's on a solid value for his contract based on what he's done..it's still just a lot of money. 

I have a lot more faith in KS taking Trask in the second and turning him into Kirk Cousins on a second rounder salary than I do Jimmy turning into 2019 Jimmy. 

I also think almost all of this should be second to the 49ers trading up and taking Wilson or picking Lance at their bottom half of the first 12 picks (I'm assuming they end up at like 9-11). 

• Like 1

Just now, 757-NINER said:

You're not signing both. Its one or the other. Warner's extension is a must so only one of them is coming back at those prices.

I think they'll probably go with Williams if I had to choose right now. But I wouldn't be shocked if Sherm cost less and subsequently was the one to return.

Would be a terrible mismanagement by this front office, even on a cheaper deal lol

7 minutes ago, Forge said:

Would be a terrible mismanagement by this front office, even on a cheaper deal lol

Well I wouldn't put it past them. Its not like Lynch & Co haven't cut corners before and tried to find solutions on the cheap. Would not surprise me at all to see them go with a cheper alternative like a Sam Young or a Beachum. I think think they overestimate Shanny's ability to mask holes offensively.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, John232 said:

It's also worth noting..granted its playing it extremely close to the chest..we dont HAVE to sign Warner this off-season. We could chance it and try to work something out mid-season next year. 

True. I do think that we will give him an extension this year, but I think it's likely that we don't alter his base salary and the only thing that hits next years cap is the first year of the prorated signing bonus. That's what we did with Kittle and I would imagine similar to what we do with Warner. Give him like a 25 million signing bonus, guarantee 2022 roster bonus and salaries for 22/23...something along those lines I would imagine. Then we would just have the 5 million prorated bonus and his base salary which is less than a million, so 6 million cap hit. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, 757-NINER said:

Well I wouldn't put it past them. Its not like Lynch & Co haven't cut corners before and tried to find solutions on the cheap. Would not surprise me at all to see them go with a cheper alternative like a Sam Young or a Beachum. I think think they overestimate Shanny's ability to mask holes offensively.

It's really why I would have liked to have seen more of Brunskill at tackle. If he could have gotten a bigger sample this year, we may have a better idea on whether or not he could be a full time tackle. Skule isn't the answer, and I dont' think it's Coleman either. There are a couple of guys that I would have some interest in if we went that route. Villanueva on a short term deal to bridge until we find a young guy. Taylor Moton is probably going to get a big deal given his play and age, so he's probably out for us, though I suppose Okung could be an option. They can't tag both. Daryl Williams has had an up and down career, but has largely been a quality tackle. 

28 minutes ago, Forge said:

You're punting it if you keep Jimmy and lose everyone. That's what makes this difficult. You can't sign everyone, but you can't lose everyone. Trent Williams is a must sign, though Sherm probably has to go. I love him, but 33 years old with injury issues (lower leg ones at that) and I'm out. Jimmy isn't a good QB. He's not carrying this team. It's easier to replace him and his production in this system than it is Trent Williams. 

Stafford would be cheaper than Jimmy, though I'm not sure he'd be worth the pick compensation (I'd guess we'd more likely offer a 2022 first than one this year though). 

There shouldn't be a problem affording Jimmy and Trent Williams. The question then becomes about the other guys. 

I agree with Sherman. I love the guy, but Verrett and Moseley are our starters moving forward. I'm ok with letting Juice, K'Waun, Tartt, McKinnon, Coleman, and maybe even Bourne go. Verrett, Williams, Reed, Hyder, and maybe Garland and Jones are my priorities. 

Something needs to be done with Jimmy's contract, I just don't know what that is. Call me a homer but I'm not ready to move on from Jimmy yet. 

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-agents/san-francisco-49ers/

Using this list as the benchmark, i'd say

Tender (RFA & ERFA) - Givens, Walter, Hasty, Brunskill, Moseley, Wilson, Pepper, Dwelley, & Mullens

Re-sign (UFA) - Willis, Cyprien, Jamar Taylor, Grasu, Reed, Garland, Blair, Trent Williams, one of Verett/Sherman 

Extend - Warner, Moore (let him replace Tartt & prove his value). Maybe try to extend Givens to a low lost deal for a couple of years as he looks like an ascending player

Let walk - Whichever one of Verrett/Sherman we don't re-sign, Thomas, Tartt, Juice, Coleman, Bourne, K'Waun Williams, Compton, Ansah, McKinnon, Witherspoon, Johnson, Jordan, Bethard, Walker, Webster, Craft, Trent Taylor, Harris, Trent Taylor, DJ Jones. 

Cuts - Dee Ford, Weston Richburg

Trade - Jimmy G 

Top draft needs - QB, DE, C, G

Secondary draft needs - CB, Slot WR, depth at QB/RB/T 

39 minutes ago, Forge said:

It's really why I would have liked to have seen more of Brunskill at tackle. If he could have gotten a bigger sample this year, we may have a better idea on whether or not he could be a full time tackle. Skule isn't the answer, and I dont' think it's Coleman either. There are a couple of guys that I would have some interest in if we went that route. Villanueva on a short term deal to bridge until we find a young guy. Taylor Moton is probably going to get a big deal given his play and age, so he's probably out for us, though I suppose Okung could be an option. They can't tag both. Daryl Williams has had an up and down career, but has largely been a quality tackle. 

I wholeheartedly agree. Brunskill@OG is yet another example of that very thing. And I understand with both Williams and McG here, there wasn't really room for him@OT so their thinking was let's get him on the field somewhere, he has too much potential.. But I just feel like a more forward-thinking GM would have used this year to have Brunskill as the swing tackle and that would have allowed for us to maybe get a more thorough look at him@LT versus the Packers or future games. I was saying during the summer that i didn't see how we could afford Williams so in my eyes, having Brunskill be his primary back made perfect sense to really gauge if we could actually let Williams walk in 2021.