Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

1 minute ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Good. I mean, he was never  a great pass blocker, but the weight thing was very obvious from the start of the year that it changed some things for him. Now, if it's a health thing, I get it, and I want him to look after himself and be as healthy as he can be for his own personal life, but if it's not really related to that, then I do think he probably needs to get back up just a little bit. 

• Like 1

Yeah, I'm a pretty big fan of McGlinchey but this has been a bad and very weird year for him. I'd imagine it's just so hard for some of these dudes to keep the weight on.  

Lastly, I think one thing we tend to forget is whatever feelings we have about a player not doing their job..Kyle feels that about 100x more. To me, he's pretty consistently showed he's a short leash dude. 

1 hour ago, NinerNation21 said:

I will also add that I apologize to Aiyuk, profusely, for losing my sh#t on draft night when we passed up Lamb and Jeudy. Brandon, I was 4 IPA's deep at that point. I saw two Javon Kinlaws on my screen getting picked with the selection I thought was reserved for CeeDee Lamb. I was on another level in a not fun way.

It sounds like Aiyuk would have been the pick with our first selection anyway if Kinlaw was gone assuming  you believe Shanny and Lynch. I still maintain Lamb was the best prospect on the board when we took Kinlaw, but I have been pleasantly surprised with Aiyuk as I didn’t think he had #1 receiver potential. Very glad to be proven wrong in this case.

I'm not sure Aiyuk will ever be top 5. But the guy is the most dynamic receiver we've had in 20 years. Deebo aint far behind (which is sad), but I'm extremely happy with the state of our receiving unit, at least at the top. I'd like to see us add more speed down the field but as is, we're in a good spot. I also wasn't huge on Aiyuk, but I didn't dismiss outright either. I actually scouted him a little bit and I really did not have a clear bead on t he guy. Talent was clearly there but he was really hard for me to project. 

4 minutes ago, Gore Whore 21 said:

It sounds like Aiyuk would have been the pick with our first selection anyway if Kinlaw was gone assuming  you believe Shanny and Lynch. I still maintain Lamb was the best prospect on the board when we took Kinlaw, but I have been pleasantly surprised with Aiyuk as I didn’t think he had #1 receiver potential. Very glad to be proven wrong in this case.

I had him as a first rounder, but WR 5 lol. 

Just now, John232 said:

I'm not sure Aiyuk will ever be top 5. But the guy is the most dynamic receiver we've had in 20 years. Deebo aint far behind (which is sad), but I'm extremely happy with the state of our receiving unit, at least at the top. I'd like to see us add more speed down the field but as is, we're in a good spot. I also wasn't huge on Aiyuk, but I didn't dismiss outright either. I actually scouted him a little bit and I really did not have a clear bead on t he guy. Talent was clearly there but he was really hard for me to project. 

N4L and I just covered this on the pod. I'm very much in on a better WR3, but I love the top of the receiver group. Deebo will always get hurt though, and for that, I believe that we need to upgrade Bourne. I think Bourne is more wr3/4 than wr2/3 and I want a WR3 I can slot into a WR2 role when Deebo is hurt. I just don't think that's Bourne. Whenever we are missing a guy at the top, our receivers are kind of a disaster. Give me a guy like Marvin Jones, TY Hilton, maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe a Josh Reynolds if you want to go the other end of the age spectrum (and that's only if you're banking on what he's showing this year), or maybe AJ Green if you want to give it a shot that he's not completely burnt. Keelan Cole may be in that range. 

What do you guys think Justyn Ross will do? It sounds like he'll be able to play football again. I assume he goes back to Clemson to try and rehab his draft stock, but if he did declare for the draft this year I would definitely be taking a hard look at him in the early rounds. That's definitely a guy I would swing for the fences on. 

https://www.greenvilleonline.com/story/sports/2020/12/13/clemsons-justyn-ross-gets-positive-news-his-football-future/6505534002/

24 minutes ago, Forge said:

N4L and I just covered this on the pod. I'm very much in on a better WR3, but I love the top of the receiver group. Deebo will always get hurt though, and for that, I believe that we need to upgrade Bourne. I think Bourne is more wr3/4 than wr2/3 and I want a WR3 I can slot into a WR2 role when Deebo is hurt. I just don't think that's Bourne. Whenever we are missing a guy at the top, our receivers are kind of a disaster. Give me a guy like Marvin Jones, TY Hilton, maaaaaaaaaaaaaybe a Josh Reynolds if you want to go the other end of the age spectrum (and that's only if you're banking on what he's showing this year), or maybe AJ Green if you want to give it a shot that he's not completely burnt. Keelan Cole may be in that range. 

I like Bourne. And as you said, he's a WR 3/4 through and through. I'd definitely like to have him back, but it remains to be seen if he's ok with taking a pay decrease in 2021. Last offseason he was an RFA that got a 2nd round tender worth almost $3.3 mil. He's not worth that much and hasn't played up to that number this season either. If we can get him for like a 3 yr $8 mil deal with his 2021 cap hit below $2 mil. I'd be on board.

With that said, we still need someone out of the slot. I'd take a guy in the middle to later rounds to compete for the slot role with James and Hurd. 

According to San Francisco 49ers head coach Kyle Shanahan, wide receiver Deebo Samuel will be "out for a while" with a hamstring strain. That's what he told reporters on Monday, and it is important to remember that the 49ers only have three regular-season games remaining.

"I think we'd have to make the playoffs for him to come back," Shanahan noted.

https://www.49erswebzone.com/articles/143184-kyle-shanahan-49ers-deebo-samuel-while-hamstring-strain/

On 12/14/2020 at 1:50 PM, NinerNation21 said:

This Brandon Aiyuk guy, he's not too bad.

When compared to other rookie WR's:

• 6th in total touches (55)
  • 4th in total yards (721)
  • 6th in yards per touch (13.1)
  • 4th in total touchdowns (6)
  • 4th in YAC (6.0)

When targeted in the Red Zone among all pass catchers in the league:

• 7th in NFL / 1st among rookies in targets (13)
  • 9th in NFL / 1st among rookies in catches (8)
  • 26th in NFL / 1st among rookies in yards (43)
  • 7th in NFL / 2nd among rookies in TD's (4)

Not always a fan of random sampling, but this is still fun. 

52 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Not always a fan of random sampling, but this is still fun. 

Yeah, five game sample is not large enough but obviously Aiyuk is the real deal. Shanahan hit big on that pick and looking back on it, even if he was the 14th overall pick, it would have been a good pick. 

Aiyuk may have the biggest ceiling from anyone in the draft class. 

45 minutes ago, Forge said:

I do think it's amusing that the two guys I was most worried about being slot guys  at the next level are the two that are tearing it up. 

I don't know many people who thought Jefferson would be THIS good this fast. He's balling out and overachieving like crazy. If he keeps this level of play up over multiple years, he's a top 5 WR in the game.