Jump to content

Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos


Recommended Posts

23 minutes ago, John232 said:

Their reasoning for it is pretty atrocious. Kyle has not regressed and I really REALLY resent the notion that any one player or coach is responsible for a Superbowl loss. Especially against a team that may (and should) end up becoming a dynasty. 

Yeah, it's a lazy, out-of-touch article. The failure of 2020 rest squarely on the shoulders of the mountain of injuries. Everything outside of that is guess work at best.

Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Yeah, it's a lazy, out-of-touch article. The failure of 2020 rest squarely on the shoulders of the mountain of injuries. Everything outside of that is guess work at best.

Yup and unprecedented amount of injuries and just bad QB play..but I don't think the QB play can be put squarely on his shoulders. Having watched all of these awful games, he is doing his best to scheme guys open and Mullens/CJB just straight cannot read and see a field. He can't play the position for them. So for me, i'd say backup QB's being bad, injuries and inconsistent O-line play were probably our biggest issues this year. 

 

Edited my comment too. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

There are a lot of things that I can lay at the feet of Shanny, and I will. Personnel wise, he's a little scary at time. He's a little too conservative for my tastes at times (end of half playcalling, 4th down decision making), but I don't know how you judge regression based on stats in a season where the team mostly played it's back up and third string QB. I mean, that's why they are back ups and third strings. Want to get on him about not having a better back up plan in place? Fine. But that's a personnel issue. Then to bring up the super bowl? Like, what does that have to do with anything (that also is off the mark...there's not much to criticize about the end of game play calling...there's one second and 5 pass that you can argue should have been a run call, but that is largely it...its really his end of half decisions that were a huge misfire). 

Talking about player development...I mean, yes and no? They talk about 2017's failure, but the two first round picks were on defense, not offense...and the offensive guys we plucked from that draft actually did develop. That's KB, Matt Breida, George Kittle...Taylor bottomed out for injuries, but was also a fifth round pick. That's a weird hill to stand on. 2018 is fair. McG is what he is which is always what he has been lol. Pettis bombed. Like, teams miss on draft picks every year, and I wouldn't even classify McG as a missed....just a miss opportunity. He himself is largely okay when you consider the elite run blocking. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, Forge said:

There are a lot of things that I can lay at the feet of Shanny, and I will. Personnel wise, he's a little scary at time. He's a little too conservative for my tastes at times (end of half playcalling, 4th down decision making), but I don't know how you judge regression based on stats in a season where the team mostly played it's back up and third string QB. I mean, that's why they are back ups and third strings. Want to get on him about not having a better back up plan in place? Fine. But that's a personnel issue. Then to bring up the super bowl? Like, what does that have to do with anything (that also is off the mark...there's not much to criticize about the end of game play calling...there's one second and 5 pass that you can argue should have been a run call, but that is largely it...its really his end of half decisions that were a huge misfire). 

Talking about player development...I mean, yes and no? They talk about 2017's failure, but the two first round picks were on defense, not offense...and the offensive guys we plucked from that draft actually did develop. That's KB, Matt Breida, George Kittle...Taylor bottomed out for injuries, but was also a fifth round pick. That's a weird hill to stand on. 2018 is fair. McG is what he is which is always what he has been lol. Pettis bombed. Like, teams miss on draft picks every year, and I wouldn't even classify McG as a missed....just a miss opportunity. He himself is largely okay when you consider the elite run blocking. 

 

Yeah, couldn't have said it better myself. I've voiced some pretty big concerns about his approach to drafting and the QB position,. Insistence on specific archetypes for players.  Some of his game management aspects (though maybe I'm clouded by Harbaugh but it's still so much better than our previous coaches)..But none of these should qualify as "regression" as you said, we've known the results of these things for a while. Why is it changing now? Also, if we're playing this game. The team just had an excellent draft where multiple offensive rookies and  young players stepped up. 

idk, for all his faults, it appears pretty obvious to me that Shanny is often the person dragging this team, kicking and screaming, into a competitive games with good teams when we should realistically have no shot. 

 

Lastly, Shanny DOES seem to learn from his mistakes. I think he might be prone to some over correcting, but (and stats would be needed) it seems like with nothing to lose..he started going for it on 4th down more. But also look at what he's done since his/teams biggest misses..also worth noting that the circumstances around both Foster and Thomas (especially,, with his family issues) are unique. Wasn't just players being lazy/sucking etc

Solomon Thomas: Now as much as I disliked this pick, I tend to think the process was strong here. Great combine, young, A+ character, most recent season was elite, a couple dominant performances, appear to be a scheme fit etc. What was done:  first off, I don't think we've taken a tweener on the line since that point. I also think most of the guys we've picked since Thomas, at least in the first two rounds are not huge developmental projects. But it seems like the biggest thing that was done was getting a D-Line coach to match the talent..seems like Solly may have been doomed from the start to some degree. 

Dante Pettis: I can reconcile that this is a "bust" but i can't fully bring myself to blame Shanny or the FO for it...When he played his rookie year, after injuries, he looked like the second coming of prime Stevie Johnson (well worth the price tag) and then he proceeded to just. Suck. What was done:  The biggest issue around him seemed to be toughness, making reads, catching the ball and to some degree, work ethic. Literally every receiver we've drafted since Pettis has exhibited traits of extreme toughness and physicality. And in the case of Aiyuk/Deebo they've been hugely successful.  

Reuben Foster: Started off with elite play but they ignored the red flags and boy...there were a lot. I think York and FO had the right idea in not necessarily running away from players with maturity problems after Aldon Smith but they either grossly mishandled Foster or they just really ignored the problems..this will probably get a lot of reflection articles in the future where more stuff will come to light, but the value of the pick and the prospect were fine. What was done:  But to me, it seems like they have instead put a ton of emphasis on drafting guys who are not character problems and not soft..It put them in a weird position so they went and spent way too much on Kwon but it reinforces the common theme: Warner, Greenlaw and Kwon are all extremely high character guys and they also managed to address this position without high draft capital. 

Joe Williams: See foster but without being elite. Also, they rightly cut bait very fast. But the dude had so many red flags and they overdrafted him to begin with, even if he was (in theory) a perfect fit for the offense. 

I know people will probably debate the above,

 

But those, to me are their only glaring draft mistakes...we'll have more too, but it seems like identity has been found since that first draft and I think that they've done a pretty damn good job at acquiring talent. Honestly, in hindsight, that 16 draft could've set the team  back YEARS, but when you hit on later picks, FA acquisitions and your coach in general general know how to lead and put players in position to succeed. You can overcome those mistakes

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, John232 said:

Yeah, couldn't have said it better myself. I've voiced some pretty big concerns about his approach to drafting and the QB position,. Insistence on specific archetypes for players.  Some of his game management aspects (though maybe I'm clouded by Harbaugh but it's still so much better than our previous coaches)..But none of these should qualify as "regression" as you said, we've known the results of these things for a while. Why is it changing now? Also, if we're playing this game. The team just had an excellent draft where multiple offensive rookies and  young players stepped up. 

idk, for all his faults, it appears pretty obvious to me that Shanny is often the person dragging this team, kicking and screaming, into a competitive games with good teams when we should realistically have no shot. 

 

Lastly, Shanny DOES seem to learn from his mistakes. I think he might be prone to some over correcting, but (and stats would be needed) it seems like with nothing to lose..he started going for it on 4th down more. But also look at what he's done since his/teams biggest misses..also worth noting that the circumstances around both Foster and Thomas (especially,, with his family issues) are unique. Wasn't just players being lazy/sucking etc

Solomon Thomas: Now as much as I disliked this pick, I tend to think the process was strong here. Great combine, young, A+ character, most recent season was elite, a couple dominant performances, appear to be a scheme fit etc. What was done:  first off, I don't think we've taken a tweener on the line since that point. I also think most of the guys we've picked since Thomas, at least in the first two rounds are not huge developmental projects. But it seems like the biggest thing that was done was getting a D-Line coach to match the talent..seems like Solly may have been doomed from the start to some degree. 

Dante Pettis: I can reconcile that this is a "bust" but i can't fully bring myself to blame Shanny or the FO for it...When he played his rookie year, after injuries, he looked like the second coming of prime Stevie Johnson (well worth the price tag) and then he proceeded to just. Suck. What was done:  The biggest issue around him seemed to be toughness, making reads, catching the ball and to some degree, work ethic. Literally every receiver we've drafted since Pettis has exhibited traits of extreme toughness and physicality. And in the case of Aiyuk/Deebo they've been hugely successful.  

Reuben Foster: Started off with elite play but they ignored the red flags and boy...there were a lot. I think York and FO had the right idea in not necessarily running away from players with maturity problems after Aldon Smith but they either grossly mishandled Foster or they just really ignored the problems..this will probably get a lot of reflection articles in the future where more stuff will come to light, but the value of the pick and the prospect were fine. What was done:  But to me, it seems like they have instead put a ton of emphasis on drafting guys who are not character problems and not soft..It put them in a weird position so they went and spent way too much on Kwon but it reinforces the common theme: Warner, Greenlaw and Kwon are all extremely high character guys and they also managed to address this position without high draft capital. 

Joe Williams: See foster but without being elite. Also, they rightly cut bait very fast. But the dude had so many red flags and they overdrafted him to begin with, even if he was (in theory) a perfect fit for the offense. 

I know people will probably debate the above,

 

But those, to me are their only glaring draft mistakes...we'll have more too, but it seems like identity has been found since that first draft and I think that they've done a pretty damn good job at acquiring talent. Honestly, in hindsight, that 16 draft could've set the team  back YEARS, but when you hit on later picks, FA acquisitions and your coach in general general know how to lead and put players in position to succeed. You can overcome those mistakes

And look at how many of those are from 2017...and you didn't even include CJ. We had less of an off season than anyone. Kyle couldn't be hired until after the super bowl. Lynch was hired even later. Peters and Mayhew even later after that. Yes, they got some work done,  but hard to feel comfortable with the team and the scouting at that point...and we still came away with an all pro tight end, a nose tackle is about to get a nice deal in free agency because he developed so well, a competent wr3 in the udfa market, a very talented if oft injured running back we were later able to flip for a fifth

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Sounds like her contract was up and it was not extended for whatever reason.  

wonder if it had anything to do with her sister calling out the team for letting Katie sit in coach while all the other coaches sat first class???

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, John232 said:

Their reasoning for it is pretty atrocious. Kyle has not regressed and I really REALLY resent the notion that any one player or coach is responsible for a Superbowl loss. Especially against a team that may (and should) end up becoming a dynasty. edit: And it basically went to to the last 5 minutes of the game. OBVIOUSLY everyone shares blame in that loss, but ******* seriously, people love to jerk it to Shanny being a horrible big game coach. Both games were against elite teams with elite QB's and their were multiple failures from all units that lead to the end result happening NEAR the end..

 

Triggered. I love TDN for the most part but lazy af journalism. 

Prime among them being the refs....

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

 

My Twitter account has been set ablaze with Watson to SF rumors and takes. Hell, #JimmyG was the 4th ranked hashtag and #Watson was 5th on Twitter for 2 days and I live in PA! Not to mention all that's gone on right down the road from me for the past 2 days. There's a lot of smoke right now coming from people of all shapes and kinds. I have no clue if there is any fire to this rumor, though. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Deebo is a huge part of the running game, but I just hope Shanahan doesn't limit his route tree going forward. Deebo can be a hell of a WR while still being used essentially in the run game. Can be one of the most dangerous "weapons" in the game. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...