Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

14 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

This 100%.

For the past few weeks, I've been noticing we're hearing his name called more and more and we're getting replays of his play. I love that Jones is starting to turn into a real nice interior defender. His play is making Sheldon Day expendable.

When he first came into the league, he was more of an early-down run defender only. Now, he's turning into an interior disruptor on all downs. If he can keep this up, we will be able to cut Day, which might help to free up some money to keep Armstead. 

Agreed on everything related to DJ Jones, but nothing with Sheldon Day. These are two different positions except in emergency. DJ Jones/Jullian Taylor play the same position. 

Kentavius Street/Kevin Givens help make Sheldon Day expendable next year. Also, Day is a free agent next year. There's no money to be freed up from him unless you are referring to not giving him an offer in free agency and thereby saving that amount. In that case, I do agree. Sheldon Day we can let walk.

For as much as Sportrac can be considered salary cap/contract gospel, it might not be as hard as we all think to keep Armstead. I gave him Trey Flowers exact contact, restructured Garoppolo's contract (effectively guaranteeing that he is our guy through 2021 at least), cut Goodwin/McKinnon, and viola - Arik Armstead has a 5-year contract at Trey Flowers numbers (guaranteeing he will be here through at least 2022). Not only that, but I brought back all the ERFAs, rendered Breida with a 2nd and Bourne/Elijah Lee with original round tenders, gave Emmanuel Sanders Golden Tate's contract (guaranteed he will be around through 2021), I gave Ward a 2 year deal with 8 mil/year and $10m in bonuses, and I extended Buckner with the Fletcher Cox's contract. 

And we have $3M to spare.

Now, as I alluded, it's only as accurate as an Internet salary cap calculator can be, and there will likely be some inflation on contract numbers, but it is definitely doable. And there's enough 2021 cap space to extend Kittle, Witherspoon, and DJ Jones. I just didn't bother with it yet. My plan in this universe would be to focus on franchising Kittle in 2021 to work on a long-term extension. 

I think the two key reality moves we need to make are restructuring Garoppolo (and thus committing to him for at least two more years) and extending Buckner. That last part is especially key. If we can get Buckner extended before March, we can get rid of his big 2020 cap hit - we can have his new contract have a low base salary for 2020 and he'll more than make up the difference in signing bonus.

What it's doing is committing that the core of Garoppolo/Sanders/Armstead/Buckner isn't going anywhere for 2-3 years regardless of play/injury. Aside from Sanders, and that's only due to age, I have no qualms with that. 

• Like 5

Yeah, Greenlaw has been very solid in coverage. Alexander is obviously still on another level in that area, but there hasn't been a huge drop off and that's all you can ask from a rookie. All our backers can cover, none of them specialize in stopping the run....Which in today's game, I would take all day every day. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, y2lamanaki said:

Now, as I alluded, it's only as accurate as an Internet salary cap calculator can be, and there will likely be some inflation on contract numbers, but it is definitely doable.

I didn't dig at all into it, but I'm glad to see more evidence of this, and suspected it all along.

We'll be ok. We don't need much money for draft picks.. or need to shop for expensive non-9er-FAs. Really hope some dudes will indeed give a bit of a discount to stick to a SB contending team they seem to love playing for.   winking-thumbs-up-smiley-emoticon.gif

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, nayad said:

If the NFL DPOY comes from this 49ers defense, who would you say it goes to? Armstead, Bosa, Warner, Sherman, Tartt? maybe even a vote or two for DJ Jones since he's getting so much love. 

I don't think we get the DPOY, but the only two viable options would be AA and Bosa in my opinion. Bosa has the publicity, which helps. AA has more sacks, but far fewer pressures and disruptions, fewer tackles for loss (though I would say AA is actually the superior run stopper).

7 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

This 100%.

For the past few weeks, I've been noticing we're hearing his name called more and more and we're getting replays of his play. I love that Jones is starting to turn into a real nice interior defender. His play is making Sheldon Day expendable.

When he first came into the league, he was more of an early-down run defender only. Now, he's turning into an interior disruptor on all downs. If he can keep this up, we will be able to cut Day, which might help to free up some money to keep Armstead. 

The problem is that he is only signed through the 2020 season. I certainly would look to extend him this off-season if we can. The other 4 guys are getting all of the credit but let's not forget he does start for us next to Buckner. 

He may get overshadowed by kittle in that draft class, but he was a damn good 6th round pick. 

I would like to find a way to give him a reasonable extension after this season. He may not go for it though 

Honestly that draft is so strange. Of the first 5 picks only one has been worth the spot he was picked or more with Witherspoon. But after that a class featuring Kittle, Jones, Taylor(shame of the injuries but for a fifth i can't complain about what he has done) and as FA Breida, Mullens and Bourne. 

With Jones he has those few moments a game where he gets to show his explosiveness and really blast off the line and makes the center completely absolete. Other than that he has to be more disciplined and just take on blocks which he does a good job off too. 

Out of curiosity, I checked the franchise record for sacks in a season for the 49ers. They already have 44, which is tied for 10th with the '90, '93, and '09 teams. The franchise record is 61 sacks by the 1976 squad. 49ers already have more sacks than any of Harbaugh's teams. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/play-index/tgl_finder.cgi?request=1&match=single&year_min=1970&year_max=2019&game_type=R&game_num_min=0&game_num_max=99&week_num_min=0&week_num_max=99&temperature_gtlt=lt&team_id=sfo&c5val=1.0&c6stat=pass_sacked_opp&order_by=pass_sacked_opp

Don't think they'll break the record (although they have been averaging 4 a game which would be enough), but maybe they can get in the mid 50's.

EDIT: Actually they are tied for 11th place with three teams, not 10th. Forgot to include teams before the merger. 

Edited by PapaShogun
  • Like 1

Everyone seems to think Robert Saleh will at least get some HC interviews, maybe even score the top job somewhere. Definitely could happen. 

I think another likely goner is Mike LaFleur (passing game coordinator) The trend is towards the young hotshot HC, he comes from the Shanny tree, and he's the brother of Packers HC Matt LaFleur whos 8-3. 

Could also see Mike McDaniel (run game coordinator), Joe Woods (defensive passing game coordinator) and Kris Kocurek (DL coach) get some promotion opportunities this offseason. 

Shanny really built of a heck of a staff this year, seems like all the units are maximizing their potential (except the WR corps)

I'm already on record saying Saleh makes Mike his OC. Those guys are all very close and sharp football minds. 

We are fine though. I wouldn't be surprised if we make Woods our DC or even Ryans. If the Broncos get rid of Fangio, maybe we can even bring him in but that's unlikely.