Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

Just now, NcFinest9erFan said:

that's a huge rebuild job there....

I don't think it'll take as long as some may if they hit on a QB with the #2 pick. They have a ton of cap space and Seattle's 1st and 3rd round picks. The could spend big in a market where a lot of other teams are strapped for cash. 

5 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Gus Bradley just took a job with the raiders?

Yep, so he has to go another route. But Bradley is pretty much Saleh's mentor.

1 minute ago, Justone2 said:

Honestly don't think LaFleur is as big of a loss as McDaniel would be. 

Yep, I bet if you asked Shanny who he rates higher, he will say it is McDaniel. But maybe his prior issues are scaring some teams off? 

• Like 1

So PFF ranked us 11th in coverage and 29th in pass rushing:

11. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Alex Smith appears to be a shoo-in for Comeback Player of the Year after what he endured, but in any other year, it would go to 49ers corner Jason Verrett. From Week 5 of 2016 through the 2019 season, Verrett played only 67 snaps due to various injuries. San Francisco gave him another shot this year, and he finished the regular season with the 10th-best coverage grade among outside corners.

While we saw Richard Sherman and Ahkello Witherspoon only on a limited basis this year, they played extremely well when on the field. Each played just under 200 coverage snaps on the outside, allowed 0.48 (second) and 0.87 (19th) yards, respectively, per coverage snap.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2020-secondary-rankings

29. SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

What a difference a year makes. The 49ers’ pass rush was one of the big reasons for their success and Super Bowl run last season, but they traded away one of the best interior defenders in the NFL in DeForest Buckner following that Super Bowl and lost their top edge rusher Nick Bosa in Week 2 to a season-ending injury. Add in Dee Ford playing just 46 snaps all season, and it’s not hard to see why we saw a steep drop from the 49ers in the pass-rushing department.

San Francisco’s team pressure rate dropped over 10 percentage points from 39.0% in 2019 to 28.4% this past season, and no one on the team cleared a 70.0 pass-rushing grade.

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-pass-rush-rankings

Pretty remarkable the team was as good in coverage as they were despite the lack of pass rush. 

2 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

So PFF ranked us 11th in coverage and 29th in pass rushing:

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-2020-secondary-rankings

https://www.pff.com/news/nfl-final-2020-pass-rush-rankings

Pretty remarkable the team was as good in coverage as they were despite the lack of pass rush. 

Saleh and the DB coach did a hell of a job all year getting that secondary to carry this team, to be honest.

2 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So Ross Tucker believes that if you can get Deshaun Watson then Bosa not be untouchable in a trade...

Thoughts?

huh? Saying they would move Bosa for Watson? I'm still not a fan of that. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

So Ross Tucker believes that if you can get Deshaun Watson then Bosa not be untouchable in a trade...

Thoughts?

He can't be untouchable because we have no other way to facilitate that trade in my opinion. Maybe Fred Warner has a crazy amount of value? But he's still an off ball linebacker so I can't imagine its that high...though Adams was worth two firsts. Whether or not anyone wants to do that is another story, but yes, if you want Watson, I think Bosa has to be on the table. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

He can't be untouchable because we have no other way to facilitate that trade in my opinion. Maybe Fred Warner has a crazy amount of value? But he's still an off ball linebacker so I can't imagine its that high...though Adams was worth two firsts. Whether or not anyone wants to do that is another story, but yes, if you want Watson, I think Bosa has to be on the table. 

5 minutes ago, GW21 said:

huh? Saying they would move Bosa for Watson? I'm still not a fan of that. 

Since a Franchise QB can change a team's fortune so much, I think I'd consider it.....

Its for sure a difficult predicament. With the injury history of Bosa i might be open to it depending on what the rest of the package consists of. If it starts going to multiple high picks and Bosa i would be out and prefer to use those high picks to trade up for Wilson.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Since a Franchise QB can change a team's fortune so much, I think I'd consider it.....

Maybe if it was just Bosa, but the proposals I saw floating around were Bosa multiple firsts and other early picks. That's far too rich for my blood. Remember that Watson has had 2 ACLs himself. What happens if he nukes his knee again? Then we're out a starting QB multiple high picks and the best defensive player we've had around for quite some time. It's kind of funny to me that folks around here are so quick to criticize our FO for taking guys with an injury history, but are completely ignoring it in this case. I understand the value of a franchise QB, but multiple 1st round picks, Bosa (All-Pro talent at an extremely valuable position), and other high picks is betting a lot on Watson staying healthy. That's a lot of eggs in the Watson basket. I would rather take some of those picks it would require to get Watson to move up and take a shot at a rookie QB on a cheap contract while keeping Bosa and some of our other picks that would be gone to get Watson. I'm all about it if the price is right, but what I've seen floated is just too much for me. 

• Like 2

Secondary play ways pretty damn amazing everything considered. Our safeties don't get nearly enough credit for what they do due to lack of big plays. And Warner is a cyborg the way he is able to cover. Next year once our pass rush returns with Bosa? Could go back to being a top 2 defense. Only thing is you have to bring back Verrett and possibly K. Williams.