Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

2 minutes ago, Forge said:

Watson isn't going anywhere anyway. If rather focus on getting Stafford. That's at least somewhat feasible 😂😂

But seriously .. Zach Wilson? Can we just make that happen?

I know I was high on Wilson early in the season, but I don't trust him staying healthy. He doesn't have the build to take those big hits. I'm afraid it will be another situation where we don't know if our starting QB will stay healthy or not. 

I prefer Fields or Lance over him, and the latter we can get without having to trade up all that much, if at all. 

3 minutes ago, Forge said:

Watson isn't going anywhere anyway. If rather focus on getting Stafford. That's at least somewhat feasible 😂😂

But seriously .. Zach Wilson? Can we just make that happen?

I’m on board. I don’t think there is any right answer on the other topic tbh. Either are one hit away from never playing again and none of us can tell the future that I’m aware of. I’m just more of the disposition of not putting all my eggs in one basket, especially when we have a known quantity that’s already on our roster. To each their own. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I know I was high on Wilson early in the season, but I don't trust him staying healthy. He doesn't have the build to take those big hits. I'm afraid it will be another situation where we don't know if our starting QB will stay healthy or not. 

I prefer Fields or Lance over him, and the latter we can get without having to trade up all that much, if at all. 

Lance absolutely has the look of a modern day NFL QB to me and I would not at all be opposed to taking him at 12 and letting him sit behind Jimmy for a year. We could rehab Jimmy’s value while preparing Lance to take over in 2022; that seems like a win-win to me.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Wilson is small. I wouldn't worry about it except he's had two injuries. One was freakish (broken finger making a tackle), but I am worried about the torn labrum. One thing I don't like is shoulder injuries in a qb lol.

He's supposedly 6'3, 210, which would be fine except he doesn't look that. Don't think he has much frame to grow, but if that's what he is and can put in 10-15, it's fine. But if he's around that area, he's similar to Lamar, so I'm not going to worry about the size on it's own. 

2 hours ago, GW21 said:

Lance absolutely has the look of a modern day NFL QB to me and I would not at all be opposed to taking him at 12 and letting him sit behind Jimmy for a year. We could rehab Jimmy’s value while preparing Lance to take over in 2022; that seems like a win-win to me.

I have some concerns with Lance now that I've watched full games rather than just the highlights

For starters, the windup on his release is really bad. Defenders start to break on the ball as it's leaving his hands. That's not good. Especially when guys are faster on the next level 

His arm is good but the ball placement is very inconsistent. Seems like all of the deep throws on the highlight tapes drop into the bucket down the field, similar to Russel Wilson - he shows a high arcing ball, but then when I watch the full games he misses a ton of deep throws. when he doesn't get the same air under it, he doesn't connect. I do like how often he looks to throw deep, I feel that is a missing component of this offense 

He looks like a good runner but I am not sure how fast he actually is, sometimes he looks every bit the part of an elite athlete, and then there are other times he takes a false step or two and it takes him a long time to gain any ground. 

The fact he relied on his legs so much against the lower level of competition is also tough to quantify. I don't know if he will be the runner people think in the NFL. He does seem to have good footwork and pocket presence though, which are welcome sights considering those are Garoppolos biggest flaws, so he will be a 'mobile' QB but maybe not a running QB, if that makes any sense 

So, he looks very raw to me with a lot of flaws mechanically that give me pause. 

The fact he hasn't played in a long time is also an issue, but the good thing is that we will be able to learn a lot about this kid right away. He has had more time to prepare for the draft than any healthy QB prospect in history basically. So if we don't see some changes in his windup, to me that will mean he is either getting bad advice or not putting in the work on his own. 

I think he can overcome all of these issues, but it's gonna take time and tons of hardwork. So if he is a relentless worker, then I am in, otherwise I have a hard time seeing Kyle pull the trigger in the first round. We may put a 2nd or 3rd round grade on him if we are being perfectly honest 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Forge said:

Wilson is small. I wouldn't worry about it except he's had two injuries. One was freakish (broken finger making a tackle), but I am worried about the torn labrum. One thing I don't like is shoulder injuries in a qb lol.

He's supposedly 6'3, 210, which would be fine except he doesn't look that. Don't think he has much frame to grow, but if that's what he is and can put in 10-15, it's fine. But if he's around that area, he's similar to Lamar, so I'm not going to worry about the size on it's own. 

I don't think you can compare him to Lamar. Some guys just know how to avoid big shots and Lamar is one of those players. Look how much he runs and how he almost never takes a hard hit. He is like Gore in that regard. 

Wilson has already had a shoulder issue and if he plays for a bad OL, that will spell trouble. 

Happy to keep Peters for another year. Sometimes feels like we as fans rate him higher than the NFL does with how little interviews he got compared to some other guys but from everything we hear he plays a huge part in the later round picks which has been really good since he got here(offcourse there will always be misses).

I feel Mayhew leaving wouldn't be the worst. Don't think we really found diamond in the rough on the pro side and most of the guys that have been standing out that we acquired have really clear connections to our coaches in K. Williams(probably the one good thing Hafley brought us), T. Williams(clearly Shanahan) and Hyder(Kocurek). Outside of that guys like Kwon and Juice have been good but way overpaid to what hey actually brought to the table or failures like Malcolm Smith. Only exception would probably be Manny Sanders but when you look at actual on field performance he didn't bring as much as one can hope for the amount we gave up for him.

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, 49erurtaza said:

I hope so so we can get some comp picks. I have a feeling Saleh won't get hired.

Kind of funny how that new rule has people hoping for guys to get hired, not really for the reason it was designed for though haha. I'm all about getting some 3rd round picks though!

• Like 1

Random thought; do you guys think Shanny not being hired as 49ers HC until February, after the SB, impacted that first offseason? 

Think about it....we had some questionable assistant coaches like Jeff Zgonina (sp), Jeff Hafley, Jason Tarver as senior assistant, etc. I can't remember if they were holdovers from Chip Kelly's staff or the best coaches we could hire given the timeframe. Then you consider the questionable picks like, oh lets say, the entire first 4 rounds of the 2017 draft. Although to be fair, they did so well from round 5-7 & udfa that they actually salvaged it.

Then fast forward to today where we have Kris Kocurek, Democo Ryans, Tony Oden as assistant coaches. Our 1st rounds have gone from Thomas & Foster to Kinlaw & Aiyuk. 

Just wondering how teams will be affected this year if they have to wait for their candidates until after the SB

1 minute ago, 49ersfan said:

Random thought; do you guys think Shanny not being hired as 49ers HC until February, after the SB, impacted that first offseason? 

Think about it....we had some questionable assistant coaches like Jeff Zgonina (sp), Jeff Hafley, Jason Tarver as senior assistant, etc. I can't remember if they were holdovers from Chip Kelly's staff or the best coaches we could hire given the timeframe. Then you consider the questionable picks like, oh lets say, the entire first 4 rounds of the 2017 draft. Although to be fair, they did so well from round 5-7 & udfa that they actually salvaged it.

Then fast forward to today where we have Kris Kocurek, Democo Ryans, Tony Oden as assistant coaches. Our 1st rounds have gone from Thomas & Foster to Kinlaw & Aiyuk. 

Just wondering how teams will be affected this year if they have to wait for their candidates until after the SB

It for sure was part of it. Hafley though could have been a guy we hired either way given his connection with Shanahan from their Cleveland days. Getting a late start especially with a GM that is new to the job was never gonna be a easy transition and i like how they changed up the things that wheren't working especially Hafley just was plain bad if you look at how big a leap our secondary took when Joe Woods took over and how Oden has kept it rolling(outside of that Dolphins game). 

1 minute ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Lol, replaced LaFleur in exactly what? Do these national reporters thinks LaFleur was the OC or something? They had pretty much an equal position and now he just gets the "OC" tag while Shanahan still calls the plays. 

Exactly. I think they "promoted" McDaniel so they didn't lose two key personnel on the offensive side.