Jump to content

Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos


Recommended Posts

7 hours ago, 49erurtaza said:

 

If its more than pick 12 i want nothing to do with with this trade. We have so many holes to fill and hardly any cap space not willing to give up more than 1st this year. 

And i love stafford but when it gets too expensive just walk away from the trade. 

I feel like his colt bound anyways they need a qb, out of the conference and they do trade the picks for player like buckner last off season. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Forge said:

The only thing that really, really worries me is Stafford potentially breaking down. That's my biggest fear with going in on him. He's a warrior, but the body can only take so much

True that's one of my worries too him breaking down or doing a luck and calling it a day to look after his ailing body. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Aussie9er said:

If its more than pick 12 i want nothing to do with with this trade. We have so many holes to fill and hardly any cap space not willing to give up more than 1st this year. 

And i love stafford but when it gets too expensive just walk away from the trade. 

I feel like his colt bound anyways they need a qb, out of the conference and they do trade the picks for player like buckner last off season. 

I disagree. I am good with giving up #12 and the Saleh third for stafford. We can then trade Jimmy for NE's third. 

We would save 7m against the cap, would upgrade at QB, and we would move up in the third round. Sign me up for that.

I start with #12 and then throw in the third if necessary. Im not going to let a free third we just got for a DC getting hired elsewhere be the difference between getting/not getting a QB upgrade.

Its the same way I feel about moving up to get a QB in the top 5 and trading next years first, pull the goddamn trigger if you like the QBs available. Dont worry too much about the cost of the deal, QB is too important of a position to half *** it anymore

Stafford could have an incredible 3/4 year run here. He does some things no other QB we have had in my lifetime can do. Its time. Our superbowl window is now.

Would give us some time to figure out our backup/development QB as well. Take some big swings late in the draft and see what sticks. Maybe we strike gold and if not, just keep mining 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites

Looking at Stafford's contract, he is owed 20m and 23m over the next 2 years (Lions are responsible for 19m in dead space to trade him). I would be completely on board with tacking on 2 extra years for 30m each or something while simultaneously restructuring his contract.

Maximum we could clear up would be 15m this year but raise his cap hits to 28,35,35 the following 3 seasons. Thats extremely reasonable and we would have enough money to do whatever we wanted this offseason and possibly begin rolling money over again

 

Someone said kershaw and stafford are close, I had no idea so I googled it... LOL

Calandro dubbed Kershaw “The Wall” because when he played goalie, nobody scored on him. He called Stafford “Hollywood” because of his propensity, late in games, to make dramatic shows of injuries. All right, Hollywood, it’s been a minute, you can get up now.

Clayton Kershaw and Matthew Stafford: The Wonder Years | Bleacher Report | Latest News, Videos and Highlights

Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, Forge said:

See, that's a worry for me. 

I don't know, I'm struggling to see that, even with the amount of teams probably interested in him.

And if Stafford would really command such a price I'd rather talk to the Jets than the Lions.

Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, AustrianNiner said:

I don't know, I'm struggling to see that, even with the amount of teams probably interested in him.

And if Stafford would really command such a price I'd rather talk to the Jets than the Lions.

Yeah, I dont know if I am willing to give up 2 firsts + for him with the injury concerns hes had

I really wonder if he has a no trade clause. Franchise QBs tend to get them, I mean **** - Jimmy has one. If he does, then I think that can put a lid on the top of his market. This is a two horse race imo, us and the colts

Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, N4L said:

Yeah, I dont know if I am willing to give up 2 firsts + for him with the injury concerns hes had

I really wonder if he has a no trade clause. Franchise QBs tend to get them, I mean **** - Jimmy has one. If he does, then I think that can put a lid on the top of his market. This is a two horse race imo, us and the colts

There is no indication that he has one

Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, J-ALL-DAY said:

@Forge break down a potential restructure or extension if Stafford is traded here. What does that do to our cap situation next year and going forward? 

Potentially knocks the cap hit next next year down to about 5-6, increases 2022 to about 27 or so. I'd expect it to be an extension. Given what it will cost to get him, I'd think we would want to lock him up for more than 2 seasons. After that, will depend on what his salaries are for 23 and beyond

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, Forge said:

Potentially knocks the cap hit next next year down to about 5-6, increases 2022 to about 27 or so. I'd expect it to be an extension. Given what it will cost to get him, I'd think we would want to lock him up for more than 2 seasons. After that, will depend on what his salaries are for 23 and beyond

Does giving him an extension affect how much of a cap hit the Lions take or it would happen after being traded? 

Getting the cap hit down to 5-6M would be amazing, especially if the cap ends up being more than 185M. At that point we can pretty much match any offer for Trent and even sign a solid free agent edge rusher. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Does giving him an extension affect how much of a cap hit the Lions take or it would happen after being traded? 

Doesn't impact the lions at all. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Also, should be noted that we'd likely give up #12, which also "saves" about 3 million. That's about where I'd guess the first year cap hit for #12 amounts to this year. 

So instead of paying 9 to rookies on this cap year, it's like about 6

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Aussie9er said:

True that's one of my worries too him breaking down or doing a luck and calling it a day to look after his ailing body. 

Stafford loves Football. It wouldn’t surprise me to see him play another 10 years if his body holds up. 

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
18 hours ago, Forge said:

See, that's a worry for me. 

I don't buy Albright's saying that age isn't a factor. Adams was 24 at the time of the trade, Stafford will be 33. That will decrease his value.And if thats the asking price, than i'd pass. 

Personally, i'm willing to start with the 12th pick and go on from there. Might take an extra pick and/or player

Adams trade was also a gross overpay IMO. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...