Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

3 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Injuries and maybe his weight?

Yeah, that's all I could point to as well. Deebo is always going to be a thick dude though, not really sure that there is any way around that. His weight doesn't seem to impact his explosiveness and actually is a big reason he is the player he is. I wouldn't want to see him get rail thin as it would take away from his RAC ability. 

Think i'd be more comfortable with a Julio trade if Lance is the day 1 starter & Jimmy G is moved. 

Not that Julio wouldn't help Jimmy either, but that $50 mil of savings can come in really handy for fitting in not only Jones but Warner, Bosa, & Aiyuk over the next 3 years

Weapons like Kittle, Jones, Aiyuk, & Samuel, a Shanny run game, an improved OL, and a dynamic rookie QB with a rocket arm and mobility...sign me up! 

• Like 3
1 hour ago, 49ersfan said:

Think i'd be more comfortable with a Julio trade if Lance is the day 1 starter & Jimmy G is moved. 

This is what is lost in this conversation, the ONLY way this trade makes any sense is if we clear JGs salary off the books. At this point, another starting QB would need to get hurt for us to trade him. So, trading for Julio means JG gets cut. 

Say he does get cut, what team out there pays him more than 10m? I cant find any. 

30 minutes ago, N4L said:

This is what is lost in this conversation, the ONLY way this trade makes any sense is if we clear JGs salary off the books. At this point, another starting QB would need to get hurt for us to trade him. So, trading for Julio means JG gets cut. 

Say he does get cut, what team out there pays him more than 10m? I cant find any. 

I'm sure we could find a way to keep Jimmy while adding Julio short term. The problem is that we are going to have to pony up for Warner and Bosa shortly. It'd be nice to get Warner done before Leonard so that he doesn't push the price up even more. I'd love to bring in Julio; he seems like a T.O. type of player where he will be able to play at a high level well into his late 30s. I really don't understand why Baltimore would have such good odds personally. They definitely wouldn't utilize him like other teams could.  

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, GW21 said:

I'm sure we could find a way to keep Jimmy while adding Julio short term. The problem is that we are going to have to pony up for Warner and Bosa shortly. It'd be nice to get Warner done before Leonard so that he doesn't push the price up even more. I'd love to bring in Julio; he seems like a T.O. type of player where he will be able to play at a high level well into his late 30s.

you contradict yourself here

cant have it both ways

cant pay jimmy and julio, without having issues paying warner and bosa in a world where there is a salary cap. 

Maybe we could have done both, if we wouldnt have done things like make kwon the highest paid weakside lb of all time, or richburg, or basically overpaying everyone lol

4 hours ago, GW21 said:

I really don't understand why Baltimore would have such good odds personally. They definitely wouldn't utilize him like other teams could.  

Because they are desperate for WR help and are in the AFC

Edited by N4L
52 minutes ago, N4L said:

cant have it both ways

cant pay jimmy and julio, without having issues paying warner and bosa in a world where there is a salary cap. 

Maybe we could have done both, if we wouldnt have done things like make kwon the highest paid weakside lb of all time, or richburg, or basically overpaying everyone lol

Because they are desperate for WR help and are in the AFC

I don’t think I did. I said short term. Meaning we wouldn’t have to move Jimmy to make a deal for Jones. We’d definitely need to move on from Jimmy in order to extend Fred and not having the rollover from his cap number going into next offseason will make it more difficult to extend Bosa next year. My point is that a trade for Julio isn’t dependent on moving Jimmy first. 

Regarding the Baltimore bit; I’m saying for a team that is so run heavy and just invested a first round pick at WR, it doesn’t seem like a logical landing spot to me. It’s certainly possible that Baltimore could be players, it just seems like Julio would be very underutilized there.

9 minutes ago, GW21 said:
1 hour ago, N4L said:

cant have it both ways

I don’t think I did. I said short term. Meaning we wouldn’t have to move Jimmy to make a deal for Jones. We’d definitely need to move on from Jimmy in order to extend Fred and not having the rollover from his cap number going into next offseason will make it more difficult to extend Bosa next year. My point is that a trade for Julio isn’t dependent on moving Jimmy first. 

Technically we could fit all four guys under the cap for this season, but what happens in 2022 and 2023? I know the cap is supposed to go up, but people need to understand that so will players salaries. Especially because the vet min is higher than it was. 

We really dont have the space to do all four things (keep JG, trade for julio, pay waner, pay bosa). Make no mistake, Bosa and warner are going to be the highest paid at their positions. Bosa especially is not going to take any sort of hometown discount. No chance. He is going to get 25m+ AAV

So, technically yes, you didnt 'contradict' yourself, but you want your cake and to eat it too (what is the point of cake you cant eat??? I digest (yes, digest not digress)) and my point is that Julio would soak up much needed cap space that will need to come from somewhere. It would be extremely short sighted of us to trade for julio without clearing space somewhere else that isnt just pushing money into future years. 

The trade for Trey was supposed to extend our window. It doesnt mean that we need to go absolutely all in for 2021 in a fiscally irresponsible way

• Like 1
2 minutes ago, N4L said:

Technically we could fit all four guys under the cap for this season, but what happens in 2022 and 2023? I know the cap is supposed to go up, but people need to understand that so will players salaries. Especially because the vet min is higher than it was. 

We really dont have the space to do all four things (keep JG, trade for julio, pay waner, pay bosa). Make no mistake, Bosa and warner are going to be the highest paid at their positions. Bosa especially is not going to take any sort of hometown discount. No chance. He is going to get 25m+ AAV

So, technically yes, you didnt 'contradict' yourself, but you want your cake and to eat it too (what is the point of cake you cant eat??? I digest (yes, digest not digress)) and my point is that Julio would soak up much needed cap space that will need to come from somewhere. It would be extremely short sighted of us to trade for julio without clearing space somewhere else that isnt just pushing money into future years. 

The trade for Trey was supposed to extend our window. It doesnt mean that we need to go absolutely all in for 2021 in a fiscally irresponsible way

First off I’d like to acknowledge your digestion comment. Nice work lol. 

I don’t pretend to be a contract guru by any means, but if I do understand it correctly, we’d only be responsible for Julio’s base if we traded for him, which would be 15.3, 11.513, and 11.513 in the next three years respectively. Those numbers are definitely manageable, regardless of what we do with Jimmy. I agree that not rolling over Jimmy’s 21 salary will make it harder on us as it pertains to extending Warner and Bosa, but I do think our FO has proven that we can get creative when needed. I’m more of the have your steak and eat it too guy personally, which I do think is a possibility if we wanted to make it so.

• Like 1
14 hours ago, 49ersfan said:

Guess he'll start the season on PUP. 

This helps Gallman's or Hasty's chances of making the roster. 

Definitely. Those 2 were who I thought may be expendable when Sermon and Mitchell were drafted...don't know now. 

I don't recall Wilson missing many games in the past....sure hope he is able to come back strong.