Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-depth-could-create-intriguing-raheem-mostert-trade-scenario

Mostert, however, could be an attractive pickup for a lot of teams heading into the regular season -- but only if the 49ers believe they have enough talented backs to manage without him.

Mostert is scheduled to earn $3.225 million for the 2021 season. He enters the final year of his contract. Mostert broke out with the team in 2019 when he led the 49ers with 772 yards rushing with eight touchdowns. He saved his best for the NFC Championship Game, when he gained a club-record 220 yards and four touchdowns as the 49ers pummeled the Green Bay Packers.

Mostert is the 49ers’ best player who, conceivably, they could deal in order to create more draft capital for the future.

The depth they created at running back this offseason gives them that kind of flexibility.

Maiocco floating putting Mostert on the trade deadline, if the rest of the RB room shows up. 

On one hand, i get it - he's 29 and injury prone and we could save some cap space, although i'm not sure how much.  OTOH, he's still a playmaker when healthy and we're not likely to get much for him anyway. Probably max a 5th.

48 minutes ago, 49ersfan said:

https://www.nbcsports.com/bayarea/49ers/49ers-depth-could-create-intriguing-raheem-mostert-trade-scenario

Maiocco floating putting Mostert on the trade deadline, if the rest of the RB room shows up. 

On one hand, i get it - he's 29 and injury prone and we could save some cap space, although i'm not sure how much.  OTOH, he's still a playmaker when healthy and we're not likely to get much for him anyway. Probably max a 5th.

Yeah, for me it really depends on the value. I'm not opposed to moving him at all, but if we stand to get something better in the form of a comp pick in the future then why not just keep him this year and let him walk. Maybe he has a huge year with Shanny and someone overpays for him - It'd be stupid of a team IMO, but crazier things have happened. 

45 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Yeah, for me it really depends on the value. I'm not opposed to moving him at all, but if we stand to get something better in the form of a comp pick in the future then why not just keep him this year and let him walk. Maybe he has a huge year with Shanny and someone overpays for him - It'd be stupid of a team IMO, but crazier things have happened. 

I don't think we are going to  get anything better from the comp pick and it ties your hands from being able to sign free agents on your own, which is actually a bigger issue for guys like this because it doesn't take much of a signing to cancel out losing him.  We know he won't have a "huge" year because Shanny is going to platoon him no matter what. At 29 years old, he's not breaking the bank in FA. If they are happy with the running backs we have, I could easily see him gone, especially given the cap hit is meh. It's like 3 million freed up that we could roll over and every little bit always helps. 

• Like 1

Just now, Forge said:

I don't think we are going to  get anything better from the comp pick and it ties your hands from being able to sign free agents on your own, which is actually a bigger issue for guys like this because it doesn't take much of a signing to cancel out losing him.  We know he won't have a "huge" year because Shanny is going to platoon him no matter what. At 29 years old, he's not breaking the bank in FA. If they are happy with the running backs we have, I could easily see him gone, especially given the cap hit is meh. It's like 3 million freed up that we could roll over and every little bit always helps. 

Yeah, LIS it would be stupid for someone to pay a bunch for him. The only real value I would see with moving him is if we could package him with a pick to move up a round or something. As you may recall, I was a big fan of Sermon's pre-draft - I didn't think there was any way Shanny would take him due to his lack of long speed - so I'd be plum tickled if he became our lead horse early on. 

Meh, I don't see the compensation being significant enough to move him. And 3 million is chump change in the grand scheme of things. His speed still brings an element to the offense that makes us unique to defend when he's on the field. I actually hoped he is platooned this season because he was never nor should he be a featured back. The role he played in 2019, splitting carries with Coleman & Brieda is exactly how he should be handled to maximzie his production on the field and his health.

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

BetMGM has the Niners favored in every game minus the second Seahawks meeting...I don't think week 18 odds vs the Rams are up yet or I just missed it so I guess that could be another game where we will be the underdogs in.

Getting a lot of respect from these betting sites all offseason long. 

15 hours ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Ward has been writing a lot of checks this offseason. 

Not sure if I love it or hate it. 

Love the confidence, dudes earned the right to talk. Hes been beyond stellar for us. Very underrated part of this top 5 defense. He was probably the second most important part of our defense last year. Absurdly consistent. 

At the same time I dont know if this benefits us in any way. Hes been talking a lot of smack publicly and sometimes that will come back around to bite ya. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I've been playing around with the Playoff Predictor site for a little while now and I keep getting 12-5 for us this year. Some times getting 13-4, but I don't feel great about that one.

This what our division is looking like the past couple of times I've done it:

1. 49ers 12-5 #3 seed

2. Rams 11-6 #5 seed

3. Seahawks 11-6 #6 seed

4. Cardinals 9-8

• 1 month later...

49ers claimed RB Trenton Cannon off waivers from the Ravens.

The claim serves as a stinging indictment of Trey Sermon, who the team made a healthy scratch in Week 1. The loss of Raheem Mostert should have been enough to get Sermon on the gameday roster but Cannon entering the mix puts that in doubt. San Francisco added Sermon in the third round of the draft this year but Kyle Shanahan has clearly been disappointed with his performance in practice so far. Sixth-round rookie Elijah Mitchell rushed 19 times for 104 yards and a touchdown in his Week 1 debut. If Sermon is passed on the depth chart by Cannon, he can officially be written off for fantasy purposes. 

Cannon will be our KR.

Mitchell was the KR and now is RB1. The only other player we had there was Ambry Thomas, and he was unspectacular there.

We better add a PR/KR electric player this offseason. A hybrid WR/RB scat back type that is quick and can be used in different ways would be great.