Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

2 hours ago, GW21 said:

This may be more major news for us, but I'll stick it here for now. 

I'd still wait until we get the real medical diagnosis. We've been burned a few times with "minor" injuries that turned out to be season-ending injuries. Raheem was supposed to miss 8 weeks, Kinlaw was day-to-day, Ford was only supposed to miss a couple of practices. Even Trey wasn't hurt, until he was, and then had to miss 2+ weeks. And on the other of the spectrum, Jimmy looked like he was going to miss a lot of time, and only missed one week. So I'll wait until we know before calling anything minor.

Hopefully Deebo doesn't miss too much time, that we can manage to keep winning, and that it will turn out to be a blessing in disguise, as it will let other players shine or breakthrough (has Jauan broken through or is it too early to call?). I'd love for Kittle to have a couple of big weeks, statistically. Imagine having two 1000 yards receiving options at the end of the year (I hesitate to call them receivers.. one is a TE who is much more than a TE, and the other a receiver who's much more than a receiver).

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, GW21 said:

I still think the Saints would be a perfect fit for him. I wonder if they were one of the teams that were potentially interested in him. 

I bet that 3rd rounder came from the Saints. 

Good to know, and I think if he keeps up this level of play and takes the team to the playoffs, we can get back a 2nd rounder.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Good to know, and I think if he keeps up this level of play and takes the team to the playoffs, we can get back a 2nd rounder.

That would be fantastic. I wonder how much of us not trading him to the Saints had to do with playoff positioning. They'd clearly have a better team with Jimmy under center. We obviously don't know if we actually got offered a 3rd, or if we did, where it came from, but hopefully that's the basement on his value this offseason and we can squeeze some more value out of him moving forward. 

6 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I feel like we can get a first out of Pittsburgh

43 minutes ago, N4L said:

I feel like we can get a first out of Pittsburgh

I'm not sure about that but I guess it depends on what the Steelers think of this draft class? Saints are the team that will maximize Jimmy's skillset and that's a team Jimmy can really help. They compete for the division with him at QB.

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I'm not sure about that but I guess it depends on what the Steelers think of this draft class? Saints are the team that will maximize Jimmy's skillset and that's a team Jimmy can really help. They compete for the division with him at QB.

They have a terrible track record with QBs recently. Have not been able to develop talent at QB at all. 

They view themselves as playoff contenders year in and year out. They aren't going to want to leave it up to a late first round rookie to help them compete in their division. They've literally never had to rebuild.  

Last off-season is a prime example. They should have pulled the plug on Ben after last year, when it was obvious he was cooked. Nope, they reworked his contract and brought him back with the idea they were close to a Superbowl. 

They don't expect themselves to be bad enough to land a top QB, and they have a very clear "build through the draft" strategy for the rest of the roster, so they won't want to trade the picks it will take to move all the way up into the top 10.

Is there a chance they may like someone in the late 1st or 2nd round? Sure, but I think they 100% would prefer a veteran QB bridge type QB while they try and hit on a later round pick. 

• Like 1