Minor Niner News Twos: Electric Boogaloos

y2lamanaki

3 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Their kicker got hurt but you would think the punter would be able to make a 20 yard FG? Right? If not, then that is a problem lol.

That makes sense.. I had the game on mute on my tablet with the great British baking show on the TV 🤣

36 minutes ago, NcFinest9erFan said:

Love Frank. I'd love to see him involved with our team in any way possible. Are players even eligible to play in the superbowl or be signed that late in the process? It seemed like there was some sort of cutoff for that. Like they had to be on your roster the last week of the season to play in the playoffs or something. 

• Like 1

16 hours ago, GW21 said:

Love Frank. I'd love to see him involved with our team in any way possible. Are players even eligible to play in the superbowl or be signed that late in the process? It seemed like there was some sort of cutoff for that. Like they had to be on your roster the last week of the season to play in the playoffs or something. 

lol no, if you are a free agent, you can sign wherever you want for the ROS

There was someone who played on two different playoff teams last year because he as on a PS, got elevated, then the next week got signed to an active roster. Pretty wild. I guess you can poach guys from other teams PSs if they are eliminated

4 hours ago, N4L said:

There was someone who played on two different playoff teams last year because he as on a PS, got elevated, then the next week got signed to an active roster. Pretty wild. I guess you can poach guys from other teams PSs if they are eliminated

Weird. I don’t know where I got that into head. I thought I remembered reading something about signing before a certain point to be eligible or considered a member of the team or something. I don’t know.

46 minutes ago, GW21 said:

Weird. I don’t know where I got that into head. I thought I remembered reading something about signing before a certain point to be eligible or considered a member of the team or something. I don’t know.

In baseball and hockey, they have that cut-off date, where you can't even play in the playoffs if you're not signed. But you can play the rest of the regular season, I think.

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, rudyZ said:

In baseball and hockey, they have that cut-off date, where you can't even play in the playoffs if you're not signed. But you can play the rest of the regular season, I think.

Maybe I was thinking about the NHL. It's possible I just don't know what I'm talking about as well. 

15 hours ago, N4L said:

It was Jared Veldheer. Don't think that he played the second team though because he may have gotten hurt in practice? That may be wrong though. 

1 minute ago, Forge said:

It was Jared Veldheer. Don't think that he played the second team though because he may have gotten hurt in practice? That may be wrong though. 

I was going to say that I remember him actually not playing in the game, but he was on the roster. So, what you are saying makes sense. 

• 1 month later...

I'm probably late to the party, but I just found this site and it's really cool: https://rbsdm.com/stats/stats/

I've been messing around with it's filtering for QBs and it puts Jimmy G in a different perspective for me. 

From 2017 to 2021, with a minimum of 1500 snaps, Jimmy is the 5th ranked QB in the NFL in EPA+CPOE (Expected Points Added + Completion Percentage over Expectation), 4th in the NFL in EPA per play, 5th in success rate, and 6th in CPM%.

EPA+CPOE Each Season

• 2017 - #1 (5 games)
  • 2018 - #19 (3 games)
  • 2019 - #9 (16 games)
  • 2020 - #16 (6 games)
  • 2021 - #4 (14 games)

I know some people hate his style of QBing, but in terms of advanced analytics, he's been a pretty good QB during his career with the 49ers. He definitely deserves some heat for his inability to see sinking LBs, making bone-headed INTs, and not being able to play a full season outside of 1 year, but he's done a great job of helping to put his team in position to win. 

Edited by NinerNation21

6 hours ago, NinerNation21 said:

I'm probably late to the party, but I just found this site and it's really cool: https://rbsdm.com/stats/stats/

I've been messing around with it's filtering for QBs and it puts Jimmy G in a different perspective for me. 

From 2017 to 2021, with a minimum of 1500 snaps, Jimmy is the 5th ranked QB in the NFL in EPA+CPOE (Expected Points Added + Completion Percentage over Expectation), 4th in the NFL in EPA per play, 5th in success rate, and 6th in CPM%.

EPA+CPOE Each Season

• 2017 - #1 (5 games)
  • 2018 - #19 (3 games)
  • 2019 - #9 (16 games)
  • 2020 - #16 (6 games)
  • 2021 - #4 (14 games)

I know some people hate his style of QBing, but in terms of advanced analytics, he's been a pretty good QB during his career with the 49ers. He definitely deserves some heat for his inability to see sinking LBs, making bone-headed INTs, and not being able to play a full season outside of 1 year, but he's done a great job of helping to put his team in position to win. 

It's Ben Baldwin's EPA site which is really nice. I love the sorting ability (though sometimes his numbers aren't exact...nothing major, but sometimes things like completion percentage are off a tiny bit? I'm assuming that there is a reason and I'm just unaware of what it is). 

The only problem with Ben's site is that it doesn't break it down any further than what you're seeing. I think you need the tru media or sports info solution stuff for that for further breakdowns. For Jimmy, for example, a substantial portion of his EPA comes from run after the catch, which you can argue how much he's accountable for.  In 2019, for example, 85% of his epa came after the catch. In 2019 and 2021, he lead the league in yards after the catch per completion (FWIW though, I don't think as much of his EPA in 2021 comes from after the catch as I've been pretty impressed with some of his throws and he's been more aggressive than he was in 2019 imo). He should get some credit for the ball placement to create run after catch, but I honestly have no idea how much during some of these seasons where he's not doing a ton of heavy lifting (personally I think he's doing more lifting this year than he's been given credit for and that this season he's actually played the position better than he did in 2019). 

I'm super interested in seeing him on a new team. Curious to see how much of this is him, how much of this is Shanny and whether or not hes the same QB (I'm not convinced that some of the stuff he doesn't isn't because Kyle is a hard*** who wants things done his way) 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Forge said:

It's Ben Baldwin's EPA site which is really nice. I love the sorting ability (though sometimes his numbers aren't exact...nothing major, but sometimes things like completion percentage are off a tiny bit? I'm assuming that there is a reason and I'm just unaware of what it is). 

The only problem with Ben's site is that it doesn't break it down any further than what you're seeing. I think you need the tru media or sports info solution stuff for that for further breakdowns. For Jimmy, for example, a substantial portion of his EPA comes from run after the catch, which you can argue how much he's accountable for.  In 2019, for example, 85% of his epa came after the catch. In 2019 and 2021, he lead the league in yards after the catch per completion (FWIW though, I don't think as much of his EPA in 2021 comes from after the catch as I've been pretty impressed with some of his throws and he's been more aggressive than he was in 2019 imo). He should get some credit for the ball placement to create run after catch, but I honestly have no idea how much during some of these seasons where he's not doing a ton of heavy lifting (personally I think he's doing more lifting this year than he's been given credit for and that this season he's actually played the position better than he did in 2019). 

I'm super interested in seeing him on a new team. Curious to see how much of this is him, how much of this is Shanny and whether or not hes the same QB (I'm not convinced that some of the stuff he doesn't isn't because Kyle is a hard*** who wants things done his way) 

VERY small sample size in NE but I think if he stayed there he would have been fine. Jimmy is not a bad player, he's going to be solid where ever he goes. That's why a team like the WFT or Pittsburgh or NO should go after him and he can help them get to the playoffs. 

How do you all feel about bringing back both Bosa and Deebo for a second contract. I think it’s pretty obvious Bosa will be our top priority and I thought we’d give Deebo a good deal around 15 per, but after this season I’m sure he’s going to want more. I really hope we find a way to bring them both back when their contracts are up. 

29 minutes ago, GW21 said:

How do you all feel about bringing back both Bosa and Deebo for a second contract. I think it’s pretty obvious Bosa will be our top priority and I thought we’d give Deebo a good deal around 15 per, but after this season I’m sure he’s going to want more. I really hope we find a way to bring them both back when their contracts are up. 

Hate paying receivers that kind of money. Love Deebo and he is special but i have a hard time justifying that type of money for a receiver let alone one with the injury history he has. Focus your money on QB/OL/Defense is a way more sustainable way to succes. Especially figuring in we already are paying Kittle a lot of money.