What are things Goff can improve on?

rocky_rams

Our team has problems across the board. But our biggest problem is our OL because McVay likes scheming long developing routes which require time and Goff needs time to throw the ball. 

With that said. Goff and McVay aren’t going anywhere whether anyone likes it or not. 

Goff is young and is going to continue to to improve. 

But what are some things you’d like Goff to improve on in order for him to become a bonafide top 5 QB in the NFL  

For me, it’s him not staring down receivers and better seeing underneath coverage. I believe most of his picks are underneath.  Also, better pocket movement: moving lateral and stepping into the pocket to throw.  

• Like 1

8 hours ago, BStanRamFan said:

Decision making,  making late throws and anticipation of DB's, ball security when the pocket collapses (timing when pocket collapses). Turnovers in general.  Bring back the 2017/2018 accuracy on deep ball throws.

I think the deep balls accuracy and ball security are directly from a terrible OL. 

Goff in my opinion, is top 3 accurate QBs in football 

• Like 1

Only when he has a perfect condition, he played good. 

But great QB don't need perfect condition to be good. 

A great QB can win without the running game. A great QB can win without a great OL. 

Right now, Goff is not a great QB, he's just a good QB. 

4 hours ago, Flounch said:

A great QB can win without the running game. A great QB can win without a great OL. 

We've won several games with a nonexistent running game... The Saints game we ran for 80 yards on 26 carries. On only RB runs, we ran for 54 yards at 2.7 a carry. 

Edited by LeotheLion

15 hours ago, Flounch said:

I'll agree with that. He's not great yet, but remember that he is only 25 years old. As long as we can keep him upright and he doesn't mentally break down from taking so many hits (ala Sam Bradford), he has a shot to get to the great category. 

1 hour ago, N4L said:

Goff is really bad at throwing on the run. When he has to move his feet his mechanics are out of whack and the lower body doesn't generate and transfer power to the upper body. 

His throwing motion is very slow 

I'd be curious as to some plays you saw this on. I know it's just one play, but I'll never forget the pinpoint accuracy of this pass.

I don't think his issue is when he's on the run. I think his issue is how he braces for an incoming hit (even if it's not there), which happens a lot when he gets out of the pocket. Like you said, his throwing motion is a little slow, so trying to hurry it up when a defender is barreling toward you can severely change the accuracy of the pass. I'll die on the hill that when Goff is comfortable in (or out) of the pocket, his accuracy is deadly. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, N4L said:

Goff is really bad at throwing on the run. When he has to move his feet his mechanics are out of whack and the lower body doesn't generate and transfer power to the upper body. 

His throwing motion is very slow 

I don't think this is true. When he escapes the pocket he is very accurate when throwing on the run. I will agree that when he is throwing while maneuvering in the pocket his mechanics go to hell and he throws ducks but he's always been a good thrower on designed rollouts and even the few times he creates out of structure.

• Like 2

Audible to runs when Gurley is going but McVay doesnt call running plays. Like it still dont make sense Gurley didnt get a touch in the 4th quarter down 2pts when he was averaging 6.1ypc. So if McVay doesnt call a running play, Goff needs to check into one. I also get that McVay will call a run play but Goff audibles out based on the defense. If Gurley is hot like he was in the 3rd quarter, Id still feed him the ball no matter what until the defense shows it can stop him consistently at that time. 

Besides that, I want Goff to hold onto the ball because his fumbling issues are beyond bad. Its like I expect a fumble from him every game and just hope the Rams can recover. Also Goff just need to get rid of the ball quicker. Id rather him dump it off to his backs and let them get yards after the catch than hold the ball so long looking for down the field throws with the risk of getting sacked or obviously fumbling. Like the reason Brady and Brees dont get sacked much is because they are willing to throw it to their backs. White and Kamara are great receiving backs. Gurley is also a great receiving back and I think Henderson has the talent to be a great receiving back in the NFL. So Goff need to put the ball quickly into the hands of his backs and stop always looking down field for the big play. The defense literally will give the Rams something now the Rams just have to go make a play. 

• Like 1