What are things Goff can improve on?

rocky_rams

7 hours ago, stl4life07 said:

Audible to runs when Gurley is going but McVay doesnt call running plays. Like it still dont make sense Gurley didnt get a touch in the 4th quarter down 2pts when he was averaging 6.1ypc. So if McVay doesnt call a running play, Goff needs to check into one. I also get that McVay will call a run play but Goff audibles out based on the defense. If Gurley is hot like he was in the 3rd quarter, Id still feed him the ball no matter what until the defense shows it can stop him consistently at that time. 

Besides that, I want Goff to hold onto the ball because his fumbling issues are beyond bad. Its like I expect a fumble from him every game and just hope the Rams can recover. Also Goff just need to get rid of the ball quicker. Id rather him dump it off to his backs and let them get yards after the catch than hold the ball so long looking for down the field throws with the risk of getting sacked or obviously fumbling. Like the reason Brady and Brees dont get sacked much is because they are willing to throw it to their backs. White and Kamara are great receiving backs. Gurley is also a great receiving back and I think Henderson has the talent to be a great receiving back in the NFL. So Goff need to put the ball quickly into the hands of his backs and stop always looking down field for the big play. The defense literally will give the Rams something now the Rams just have to go make a play. 

Gurley has been an awful receiving HB this year. I don't know why. But he's not catching the football well.

4 hours ago, jrry32 said:

Gurley has been an awful receiving HB this year. I don't know why. But he's not catching the football well.

To be fair, Goff hasn’t exactly been throwing him accurate passes or even seeing him underneath and McVay hasn’t really schemed up good plays for him  

I think Gurley struggling in the pass game is a combo of Gurley, Goff, and McVay and even the OL

6 minutes ago, rocky_rams said:

To be fair, Goff hasn’t exactly been throwing him accurate passes or even seeing him underneath and McVay hasn’t really schemed up good plays for him  

I think Gurley struggling in the pass game is a combo of Gurley, Goff, and McVay and even the OL

Accurate passes or not, Gurley is still not catching catchable balls. In years past, they're plays he would have made.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/15/2019 at 10:17 PM, jrry32 said:

Accurate passes or not, Gurley is still not catching catchable balls. In years past, they're plays he would have made.

I agree with you Jrry, in the Steelers game there was a pass that zoomed right by Gurley's ear. He completely missed it.

I believe that Goff just has to stay more poised under pressure and make better decisions under pressure. Considering how bad the line has been, the playcalling has not help the offense at all -- I believe Goff has played very well.

More quick route combos need to be ran. Goff can do it. It was his bread and butter at Cal. The quick passing game will open up Cooks on the Go route -- the route Goff throws better than any QB in the NFL.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ChicagoRaider14 said:

I agree with you Jrry, in the Steelers game there was a pass that zoomed right by Gurley's ear. He completely missed it.

I believe that Goff just has to stay more poised under pressure and make better decisions under pressure. Considering how bad the line has been, the playcalling has not help the offense at all -- I believe Goff has played very well.

More quick route combos need to be ran. Goff can do it. It was his bread and butter at Cal. The quick passing game will open up Cooks on the Go route -- the route Goff throws better than any QB in the NFL.

I can't go that far, but I'm not discouraged by this season. I think it'll be a footnote in Goff's career.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, ChicagoRaider14 said:

You need to stick around here more often. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, jrry32 said:

I can't go that far, but I'm not discouraged by this season. I think it'll be a footnote in Goff's career.

He's made a substantial amount of big time throws, while being pressure over 200 times with only taking 16 sacks.

To me, that's playing well due to the circumstances surrounding him. I would like to see the Rams invest in a line and not worry so much about WRs.

Goff is accurate enough to throw guys open. He's just so immobile that he really does need a solid line.

• Like 1

Uggh Goff was so inaccurate last night, so frustrating to watch. Had woods on that TD and over threw plus many more. I dunno wats the matter with him this year. His play is killing everyone’s production if we cant even get a few drives going and making the D play the entire game. Gurley with only 6 carries like cmon!! Lol

18 minutes ago, bertuzzi said:

Uggh Goff was so inaccurate last night, so frustrating to watch. Had woods on that TD and over threw plus many more. I dunno wats the matter with him this year. His play is killing everyone’s production if we cant even get a few drives going and making the D play the entire game. Gurley with only 6 carries like cmon!! Lol

The pre-snap penalties need to go. Never had that issue in the past but twice in the redzone on 2nd and 5s we get false start penalties. Settle for field goal each times when TDs keep the game close. 

The bigger issue last night offensively was McVay. I don't know what he is doing with some of these playcalls. His 3rd and long WR screens is the most predictable play call I've ever seen a team run. It is so obvious before the snap that is what we are calling. The first drive of the game he does the ugly jet sweep to Cooks. Probably wanted to get him the ball early to take away jitters but it was a waste of down. The play was doomed before the ball was snapped.

I think fans harp on missed throws way too much. No QB is hitting every deep pass. I think some games this year the criticism has been more deserved but yesterday didn't seem like one to me. 

• Like 2

On 11/15/2019 at 3:54 PM, jrry32 said:

Part of it has been on Goff.  Gurley's ended up with what I've tended to call "sell out" checkdowns, where the HB is basically being targeted so that he can absorb the impact of being hit as opposed to the QB, and like the QB he basically has two men or more on him as soon as the ball arrives.

Another factor in that though is just something that the core as a whole (McVay, Goff, receivers) are going to have to adjust to, because it's been a reaction in how defenses are being assembled to combat not just the screens that we flourished on last season, but also what started as the bread and butter of the Peyton/Pats style rub-route offense and progressed into the buy tons of time scrambling and still be able to find a dump-off to avoid a sack stylings of Mahomes, Wilson, and the like.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...