Week 11 GDT - Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

Yea the defense is definitely ailing now. Hammy's are very tricky so not sure when we can expect to see Ford back. I think we'll be ok but like I've mentioned before, this defense isn't really built to defend the college style spread and running QBs like Murray and Jackson. We're going to struggle against those teams...especially w/o Kwon. I think we'll fare much better against the traditional pocket passers so I think we'll be fine in those match ups. But with mobile QBs it's just going to be tough sledding for our D....especially against the run. 

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, burlow said:

Honestly going forward it feels like the Rams will be the easiest team to beat in this division, we have had a better time with them and the Cards have been playing us hard.  It just sucks that we have two greased midgets in our division that we have to try to stop.

I said it before the draft, Murray was going to be a problem in this division. Elite arm talent and escapability. Forget the height, kid is a baller...

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, burlow said:

Honestly going forward it feels like the Rams will be the easiest team to beat in this division, we have had a better time with them and the Cards have been playing us hard.  It just sucks that we have two greased midgets in our division that we have to try to stop.

Rams still have talent but how they fix the OL going forward will determine just how big threats they are. And of course Goff and his progression or lack thereof. Though fixing the OL will give him a better shot succeeding. 

9 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

Yea the defense is definitely ailing now. Hammy's are very tricky so not sure when we can expect to see Ford back. I think we'll be ok but like I've mentioned before, this defense isn't really built to defend the college style spread and running QBs like Murray and Jackson. We're going to struggle against those teams...especially w/o Kwon. I think we'll fare much better against the traditional pocket passers so I think we'll be fine in those match ups. But with mobile QBs it's just going to be tough sledding for our D....especially against the run. 

We are down defensively Alexander, Jones, Ford, Blair and were down Spoon for six games. Offensively we have been down both our bookend T's, were down our FB for five games, have a banged up Sanders and have been down Kittle the last two games. Oh yeah, our RBs have been in and out as well. To not expect any type of drop off with all these losses is unrealistic. Eventually your team will start to deteriorate and that's happened to us. Yet, we have overcome mostly every injury thus far and are 9-1. That's just insane. 

I'm thinking Kittle returns this week and our run game gets going for the first time in a while. The Packers are not great against the run so it will be a good time to get that going for once. And I don't think the Packers will stack the box like Arizona/Seattle did as they have given up a lot of big plays through the air. It will also be beneficial to keep Rodgers and the crew off the field so need a ball control type of game.

I am worried about the Smith brothers coming off the edge and hope we are able to slow them down somewhat with the screen game. 

Edited by J-ALL-DAY
  • Like 2

I think Jimmy needs to run the ball more. He’s not exactly a threat by any means, but he’s gotta keep the defense honest. There were a few times today where I felt like he could have got some yards. Also when the defense is defending all these intermediate routes we run, the linebackers are able to drop back and fill some of the passing lanes and if occasionally Jimmy stepped up and ran I think he would help open some of those lanes. 

On another note I feel great about Deebo. Dumb rookie mistakes, but I think he’s actually becoming a threat. We have Deebo, Sanders, and Kittle on the field, I think there’s some decent weapons for Jimmy. Would be awesome if Taylor could have gotten healthy as well, but maybe Hurd can come back and show something. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, straighthate said:

I think Jimmy needs to run the ball more. He’s not exactly a threat by any means, but he’s gotta keep the defense honest. There were a few times today where I felt like he could have got some yards. Also when the defense is defending all these intermediate routes we run, the linebackers are able to drop back and fill some of the passing lanes and if occasionally Jimmy stepped up and ran I think he would help open some of those lanes. 

agree, though I think he was slightly gimpy early on with some hits.. so he may gave been more reluctant to run after that.. maybe. 

1 hour ago, 757-NINER said:

I think at this point I want to see them run the 7 DB set that the Chargers used against Baltimore last year. I don't think that anyone has tried that this year on him for some reason, and we actually have competent personnel to do that if we want. I don't know what else we can do, because he's going to destroy us when we play. 

• Like 2

53 minutes ago, straighthate said:

On another note I feel great about Deebo. Dumb rookie mistakes, but I think he’s actually becoming a threat. We have Deebo, Sanders, and Kittle on the field, I think there’s some decent weapons for Jimmy. Would be awesome if Taylor could have gotten healthy as well, but maybe Hurd can come back and show something. 

He catches the ball consistently, he's going to be a bit of a little monster. Golden Tate would be a super easy caliber player to become, and he may have a higher ceiling than that in the end. 

41 minutes ago, Gravity said:

Did anyone see if CB Mosely returned this game after leaving with an injury?

Did Witherspoon play today?

Spoon played when Mosley was out. Mosley did come back in though, maybe two series later if I remember correctly. 
Spoon looked good from what I could see. I think was thrown at once for an incomplete pass. Had tight coverage. 

Would definitely like to know what the plan is going forward. Shanahan said Spoon would have his starting spot when he came back but obviously didn’t today. I’m assuming Spoon wasn’t good to play 50 or 60 snaps, just was ok to come in if needed. 

4 minutes ago, straighthate said:

Spoon played when Mosley was out. Mosley did come back in though, maybe two series later if I remember correctly. 
Spoon looked good from what I could see. I think was thrown at once for an incomplete pass. Had tight coverage. 

Would definitely like to know what the plan is going forward. Shanahan said Spoon would have his starting spot when he came back but obviously didn’t today. I’m assuming Spoon wasn’t good to play 50 or 60 snaps, just was ok to come in if needed. 

Thank you!!!

PFF's take:

SAN FRANCISCO 49ERS

Both Mike McGlinchey and Justin Skule had rough games in pass protection, as they could not keep the Cardinals' edge rushers away from Jimmy Garoppolo. They also had a hard time with the edge defenders in the run game, as the 49ers' offense could not get anything going on the ground all game.

Garoppolo had an up-and-down game throwing the ball. When his receivers were open, he was able to hit them for critical completions. However, when he needed to make an accurate throw in tight coverage, he was not able to do so. He made enough plays to win the game, but he wasn't as sharp as he will need to be to win big games as the season goes on.

This might've been one of Nick Bosa‘s worst games in recent weeks, as the Cardinals rendered him nearly invisible. He had a few pressures, but most of them came from Kyler Murray, who created them himself by moving out of a clean pocket. He was dealing with double teams and chips all game, including one chip by Larry Fitzgerald that knocked him flat to the ground.

Dre Greenlaw was the most impressive-looking 49ers defender in this one. He had a bunch of defensive stops in the run game and also was extremely effective as a defender in coverage. He gave up some catches but kept everything in front of him for very few yards and didn't give up a first down all game.

Hopefully Bosa has a big night against the Packers. Also hopefully Brieda and Kittle can go next time.