Week 11 GDT - Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

9 minutes ago, 49ers2015 said:

Does anyone think that the defense is just super tired right now and that the "peak/being hot" occurred too soon this season? 

Someone brought that up to me today and I was like "uh oh"

I’m sure playing running QBs three weeks in a row plus an overtime thriller is very tiring. Is it weird that I’m actually looking forward to playing Rodgers and Brees because we know they’re not going to run? 

• Like 3

9 minutes ago, 49ers2015 said:

Does anyone think that the defense is just super tired right now and that the "peak/being hot" occurred too soon this season? 

I don't think that's an issue, but y2 would be the one to give a better accounting on this. The only guy that has been on the field snaps at a crazy high rate is Warner. He's a young dude, and not constantly taking a beating like trench guys. 

We are also one of the best teams in time of possession, so the D isn't getting too overworked. One of the best in 3rd down stoppage as well, if reading this right. 

1 minute ago, NinerNation21 said:

I’m sure playing running QBs three weeks in a row plus an overtime thriller is very tiring. Is it weird that I’m actually looking forward to playing Rodgers and Brees because we know they’re not going to run? 

Nope, not weird at all. While both can also run, I know what u mean. They are far from Greased Midgets. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, NinerNation21 said:

Yeah I hear you. But Rodgers is pretty slippery too no? He always makes something out of nothing. 

49 minutes ago, 49ers2015 said:

It has do with dealing with as many injuries as we have. Jones/Blair/Ford all banged up or just hurt. Then you have Alexander gone for the season. It's just hard to keep up the same play when you continue to lose depth. 

I didn't think the defense was bad yesterday though. Cardinals jumped on us but did very little after that. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

I didn't think the defense was bad yesterday though. Cardinals jumped on us but did very little after that. 

Yeah, I think mostly, they did a good job of confusing the D... and then there's a Greased MIdget to backyard ball it, when things break down. The Cards seem to be a little better a team than their record, or maybe like others say, they match up well against us. 

I just want us to get our #1 and #2 pass targets healthy and back. Then, we can avoid these nail-biter games. 

20 minutes ago, oldman9er said:

Yeah, I think mostly, they did a good job of confusing the D... and then there's a Greased MIdget to backyard ball it, when things break down. The Cards seem to be a little better a team than their record, or maybe like others say, they match up well against us. 

I just want us to get our #1 and #2 pass targets healthy and back. Then, we can avoid these nail-biter games. 

I don't think getting our targets back means we're going to avoid close games. Its just certain teams and their personnel we don't match up well against defensively. Defensively, our strength is our D-Line. Creating pressure up the middle and having guys like Ford and Bosa clean up, off the edge. 

So what kind of offenses would be able to exploit that? Teams that spread you out and attack you with quick passing and run out of spread concepts. Arizona, Seattle, Baltimore, Houston....even Dallas to a certain degree. Those are teams that we will have a hard time containing...because it negates our strength as a unit. That's why I say traditional offenses with traditional pocket passers are less of a worry for me. Our defense is set-up to make their lives miserable. But outside of Kwon and maybe Warner, we're not a particular fast nor quick, sideline to sideline type of defense. So our ability to defend those types of offenses is not in our wheelhouse.  

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 1

Samuel leads all rookie receivers in receptions, and he’s No. 4 in yards despite San Francisco ranking 27th in pass attempts.

Where Samuel’s No. 1 receiver traits shine through are in his advanced numbers. He made the Pro Football Focus Week 11 Team of the Week with an 84.4 overall grade to lead the 49ers offense Sunday. He’s forced 12 missed tackles – tops in the NFL at his position, and he’s No. 1 with 7.2 yards per reception after the catch per PFF’s Jeff Deeney.

• Like 1