Week 11 GDT - Arizona Cardinals at San Francisco 49ers

J-ALL-DAY

36 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

heard he was late to a bunch of meetings and stuff too. Pass for now. Maybe if we get to the end of the offseason circle back to see how he's learned from the situation. 

3 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

There's no guy on the street or on the waiver wire, better than what we currently have@WR. Its not a lack of talent, its a lack of consistency. Unfortunately we have 2-3 WRs with the same problem. You just have to hope Shanny and the coaches are on these guys 24/7 about the simple fundementals of pass-catching. Gathering themselves, looking the ball into their hands and securing the catch before you turn up field. I understand some of the catches have been tough grabs and Jimmy's passes have a tendency to float high. But as professionals these guys just have to step up to the challenge and earn their keep from this point forward. If not,  we're just not going to reach our potential as a team, or more importantly a passing offense, this year. 

I dono, the way Shanny is talking about pettis he might be on the street/waiver wire soon. Probably inactive once Hurd is available. 

There’s a lot of “you don’t know so you can’t comment” going on in here. I don’t get it. We never know. As fans that’s what we do, is guess based on media reports, what our untrained eye sees, etc.  Don’t think anyone here is in any team meetings. 

There’s also the comments that to be an NFL player you have to have passion. Not true. Guys lose passion for the game in every sport. Guys get content. Guys decide their family and being able to play in the backyard with their kids is more important than putting their body through hell and being on the road.  There’s plenty of examples of guys not giving 100%, showing up to camp out of shape, and being caught up in going out til 4am rather than take care of their body before a game or practice.

I just don’t get the trend in here lately of saying don’t question what’s going on with players on our team. The fact that Pettis doesn’t seem to be giving his all, or Goodwin seems like he’s toned it down a notch since his contract (or in my opinion since his bad concussion to end the season against the Rams a couple years ago), or that Metallica got a taste for some fame and money and decided they wanted to make money and get chicks rather than really work hard to make music they liked.... it’s our job as fans to guess and listen to rumors and figure out what narrative we believe. No need to act like these guys are above falling out of love with their job or having outside distractions effect their effort and motivation. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, y2lamanaki said:

Holding onto some hope with this last bit...

Shanahan has already stated that Sanders doesn't need to be a full participant in practice to play. Hopefully, that means that he will still suit up this weekend. As for Kittle, if he isn't 100% ready to go, sit him. We NEED him for Green Bay.

I have a very hard time believing Pettis isn't going to at least make it through his rookie deal. Despite him being pretty soft, their is still a lot of talent to work with. It's just crazy to me though, he flashed so hard last year and had an opportunity to really fortify himself as a #1. Just wasted talent. More I think about our draft, it really seems like Shanahan and Lynch grabbed Deebo and Hurd as a direct result of our receiver play and attitudes. 

I am extremely excited to see Hurd play. 

• Like 2

I just don't see the point of pushing KEY guys to play right now. I know the passing offense will struggle with their absence...and I dont care. Other guys either step up or we struggle...I actually like that challenge as we head into the end of the season. 

This team is playoff bound. Even if we do hit a minor skid, this is a 12-4 team at worst, which will get us into the post-season. Rest guys like Kittle and Sanders until they are 100%. I'm not fan of guys playing hurt unless its do or die circumstances. It hasn't come to that yet. What happens if guys tough it out and try to play through a injury and actually make it worst?? And then they wind up not being 100% for the rest of the season, including and playoffs?? Or worst, have to go on season-ending IR. I just don't see the benefits in this line of thinking. Home field advantage and/or a bye would be nice but its not a necessity to reaching the Super Bowl. We're more than capable of going on the road and beating any team. Especially with our defense. I'd much rather guys rest and heal up for when we'll really need their presence on the field. Trying to play through pain to go against the Cards? Just doesn't sound wise tbh...

Edited by 757-NINER
  • Like 2

On 11/15/2019 at 8:53 AM, clarkfn2284 said:

Complete conjecture. We have no idea if he has lost his passion for the game. This is one of the worst takes I have ever read. You have a perception that he plays disinterested based upon what? Your opinion that he "doesn't seem to play with the same juice"? Show me the route dogging on tape. I would love to see it.

Remember that interception Mullens threw last year on MNF against the giants when he got super pissed at Goodwin because Goodwin wasn't running hard on his crossing route? I guess you don't. Mullens isn't the type of guy to chew out other guys, but he was very upset. That one was blatant but there are more. 

He isn't playing with anywhere near the same tenacity he was playing with in 2017. Do you disagree? 

you think that these guys don't know what is "at stake" you are crazy. This is their livelihood, it is what they do nearly every hour  of every day. They do it at a ridiculously elite level even if they are at the bottom of the league.

Ridiculously elite level relative to planet Earth, however they are completing against other 'rediculously elite' athletes and it takes more than althetic ability to be the 'elite of the elite'. the dedication and commitment required to go from good to great is immense, which is why I am saying what I am saying. I don't think he is doing what is necessary.

He did those things in 2017, but that player hasn't shown up since then. No one is saying he's the same guy he was. So, in your opinion, what changed??

Oh, and by the way, if you saw that SI article recently, you saw Kyle Shanahan reminding a guy (spoon) that he could lose his job if he didn't improve his effort. So yes, sometimes these guys need to be reminded of that fact. 

We have no idea what caused him to take a leave. Things weigh on people and can wreak havoc in their personal and professional life. No doubt about it, he has not been good, but neither you or I have an idea what he is dealing with and there is no visible evidence that any of us have to confirm a lack of passion or lack of effort.

This has been happening for 2 years now. 2 years. I understand these guys are human beings and not robots, and I am willing to give guys some slack when it is called for. It's not just one singular moment that is making me say what I am saying, it's a pattern of behavior over a long period of time. 

I have been one of the biggest Solomon Thomas supporters out there, especially this off-season. He had been dealt a bad hand both on and off the field but seems to be taking steps in the right direction. So I do take these things into account while evaluating players. 

We obviously have no idea what is going on in Goodwins personal life, and I am sympathetic about it to a point, but there comes a time when the excuses run short and it's put up or shut up. That time is now considering everything going on with our team and where we are in the season. 

The bottom line is that these guys are professionals. They are getting highly compensated to perform at a high level. It is expected that they perform under vast amounts of pressure. That is the nature of the beast.  

On 11/15/2019 at 10:36 AM, clarkfn2284 said:

Yeah man. I don't pretend to know what it takes to be at that level. I have never made it to those elite levels of sport. However, I do know what it is like to do it at a High School level and I know what our expectations for the kids we coach are at 16 and 16 u levels. Those expectations and dedication requirements are too much for most adults to handle. These guys are the 1% of the 1%. Just super bush to question a guy's commitment to his craft without reason. Guys have bad years, guys fall off, guys literally just lose their ability on a year to year basis. To show up every day and sit through meetings, go through a walk through, rehab, film study, practice, flights and then game day takes an insane commitment. Just flat out ridiculous

Oh, there absolutely is a reason that I am questioning his commitment to the craft. The results havent been there for a while now, and I'm not just talking about stats. 

Do you have game pass? If so, go back and watch film from 2017 and then literally any play from the last two years and tell me the guy is playing with the same tenacity/swagger/juice/whatever you want to call it. If you don't have game pass, go get game pass and turn on some all 22 film. 

It's hard to see how WRs are moving on TV. They run off the screen and then reappear. I have season tickets, and it's a lot easier to evaluate QB, WR, and secondary play at the stadium. It's a little harder to evaluate OL and DL play live because they don't show as many replays as they do on TV. That's why I rewatch every game again later in the week 

The last part of your post references how hard it is, and how dedicated you must be to be really good NFL player. How can you say that, and then say that it's unfair of me to question his commitment level? As @straighthate said, people lose passion for their jobs all the time, it's human nature. None of us get hit for a living (at least I dont) and it's fair if someone decides they don't want to take hits anymore, but let's not pretend he's Frank Gore or something. 

I would like to add to all of this that you are a great poster and I am glad you are more active this year. 

GO NINERS 

On 11/15/2019 at 9:35 AM, 757-NINER said:

Agreed. Not really a fan of calling out a guy's commitment or passion for the game. I think you have to have an elite level of commitment and passion to even make the NFL for a year, yet along be a viable player for a number of years. Like I posted in another thread we can all see his play has dropped. No denying that ever since he signed his extension, he hasn't brought forth that same level of play as before. Its like he's lost that swag he had when he was trying to prove to the rest of the league that he was good player. But I don't want assume he's half-assing it or just content with the status quo. You never know what a individual is going through behind closed doors..

No offense, but this post is a little contradictory. You say that we shouldn't say he's lost his passion, but then in the same breath say he lost his swagger.

Call it whatever you want but our evaluations are in line, hes lost something and he needs to find it. I don't think there is anything wrong with saying it. Let's call a spade a spade. 

I hope he figures it out, I really do. For all accounts he's a good guy and a good teammate. I am rooting for him to succeed, but I am becoming less and less confident in it happening as time goes on. Seems more likely that he's a one hit wonder, such is life

11 hours ago, 757-NINER said:

I just don't see the point of pushing KEY guys to play right now. I know the passing offense will struggle with their absence...and I dont care. Other guys either step up or we struggle...I actually like that challenge as we head into the end of the season. 

This team is playoff bound. Even if we do hit a minor skid, this is a 12-4 team at worst, which will get us into the post-season. Rest guys like Kittle and Sanders until they are 100%. I'm not fan of guys playing hurt unless its do or die circumstances. It hasn't come to that yet. What happens if guys tough it out and try to play through a injury and actually make it worst?? And then they wind up not being 100% for the rest of the season, including and playoffs?? Or worst, have to go on season-ending IR. I just don't see the benefits in this line of thinking. Home field advantage and/or a bye would be nice but its not a necessity to reaching the Super Bowl. We're more than capable of going on the road and beating any team. Especially with our defense. I'd much rather guys rest and heal up for when we'll really need their presence on the field. Trying to play through pain to go against the Cards? Just doesn't sound wise tbh...

Regardless of your squad lineup the odds of reaching the Super Bowl are just much better when it's 2 games to 3, and not having to go on the road. I'd rather guys get back ASAP. If they can't go later on so be it. Also, if the 49ers lose in two days they're now a 5th seed because Seattle will have tie breaker when the records match. That's how tough just the NFC West is. I hope Shanahan and his staff don't get lax on player availability. 

Edited by PapaShogun

3 hours ago, N4L said:

Call it whatever you want but our evaluations are in line, hes lost something and he needs to find it. I don't think there is anything wrong with saying it. Let's call a spade a spade. 

Yeah, that's fine. I don't see the harm in your speculations, really. Turns out I have been doing it too, when I look at Staley and McG (not sure if overtly here or not). I think he and McG have been getting complacent, frankly. Do I know this? nope. They play lethargic and unprepared in my view.. so I feel comfortable making the claim. Some may lay it at the feet of injuries, which I feel they were sucking prior to.

It's all just speculative chatter, and we are entitled to it. 

What matters at the end of the day, comes down to 1) what does Shanny and Co. think of the intensity levels presented.. and 2) are there any better options behind them?

I am perfectly fine sitting both Pettis and Goodwin.. though at least the latter I think can still spill out some big plays for us. If they want to give Richie J some more looks, I say fair enough. If Hurd can come in next week, hey, maybe he can bring something good. 

All I know right now is.. without Sanders and/or KIttle, JImmy G has very little to work with in the pass game.. and our "starting OTs" were making matters even worse. Not excusing Jimmy G for all, either. He has to protect the football, and tighten up the decision/accuracy... but it's still clear to me that QB1 is not the problem with this team. 

• Like 2