Adam Gase’s job is safe per C. Johnson

KingOfNewYork

Manish has always been the biggest joke and tbh, I'm not surprised if he really pulled something like this. He's a snowflake; one time he literally DM'd me in 2015 for correcting him; nothing critical, just correcting him on Maccagnan's job history. Little old me, with less than 100 followers, and this guy took the time to DM me saying something along the lines of "Hahaha not true" to my response stating that Maccagnan held a bigger role than a traditional scout dating back to the inception of the Texans franchise prior to wikipedia updating their site (he has since been credited as the Texans "Coordinator of College Scouting" starting in 2000). Manish is hit or miss - sometimes he does have sources that provide damaging info about the Jets, but there are also times where he's made things up out of thin air in order to be recognized. Manish has always been a mental midget and will do whatever he can for clicks; he's addicted to chaos. It's just his style. I get he has a job, but I'd really love to see some writers/reporters with actual talent replace him. 

• Like 2

I know you guys hate Gase, well not hate but want him to do better but look at what the Browns are once again doing to themselves. 

They're about to fire Dorsey as well. We aren’t in the best position but at least we’re trying to build something sustainable and give our young QB some consistency.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

I know you guys hate Gase, well not hate but want him to do better but look at what the Browns are once again doing to themselves. 

They're about to fire Dorsey as well. We aren’t in the best position but at least we’re trying to build something sustainable and give our young QB some consistency.

There’s a lot you can say about Dorsey, but the guy knows talent when he sees it. The Haslam’s just can’t stop getting in their own way... every year there’s adversaries among upper management. First it’s Sashi vs. Jackson, then Jackson vs. Dorsey, now Dorsey vs. DePodesta. Yes, Dorsey screwed up the Kitchens hire- he should’ve never put his faith in Baker to make that call- but let the guy get a chance to make it right and run the ship without some other person of power breathing down his neck. It’s ludicrous. Now, they’ll be forced to uproot their scouting operation once again and the team will continue to be in transition. People want to say we’re toxic but I truly feel for Browns fans

I mean the Kitchens hire was really really bad. with a second year QB on his third head coach (fourth if you include interim coach G. Williams) idk if I'm trusting Dorsey to make the right call on HC. I can at least see the logic in the #SaveBakerMayfield thought process. 

46 minutes ago, Colt45fool said:

I mean the Kitchens hire was really really bad. with a second year QB on his third head coach (fourth if you include interim coach G. Williams) idk if I'm trusting Dorsey to make the right call on HC. I can at least see the logic in the #SaveBakerMayfield thought process. 

Agreed, but this mess goes right back up to ownership. Their impatience and disorganization is why they're in this position, and I'm not sure their new structure is going to change that. When they hired Dorsey, they should've given him the latitude to clean house as he saw fit. Instead, they kept DePodesta and made him keep Hue, he gets his chance to hire a coach, tried to keep Baker with someone he was comfortable with (ultimately the wrong decision), and now the team fires him, keeps DePodesta, and plans on hiring a HC who will hire the GM. It's a mess. That being said, there have been constant rumors that Dorsey lacks discipline, lacks communication and organizational skills so can't be all that surprised that he was fired after the team became the laughing stock of the league yet again, but the point I'm trying to make is that the ownership group is their own enemy... they're trying to save Baker, but all they're doing is continuing to run a poorly structured shop. What if they do hire McDaniels, their season doesn't go well/Baker doesn't improve? I get the job is attractive because the roster is talented, but just such a poorly managed organization from the top, and that's coming from a Jets fan. 

On 1/6/2020 at 10:51 PM, jetskid007 said:

Agreed, but this mess goes right back up to ownership. Their impatience and disorganization is why they're in this position, and I'm not sure their new structure is going to change that. When they hired Dorsey, they should've given him the latitude to clean house as he saw fit. Instead, they kept DePodesta and made him keep Hue, he gets his chance to hire a coach, tried to keep Baker with someone he was comfortable with (ultimately the wrong decision), and now the team fires him, keeps DePodesta, and plans on hiring a HC who will hire the GM. It's a mess. That being said, there have been constant rumors that Dorsey lacks discipline, lacks communication and organizational skills so can't be all that surprised that he was fired after the team became the laughing stock of the league yet again, but the point I'm trying to make is that the ownership group is their own enemy... they're trying to save Baker, but all they're doing is continuing to run a poorly structured shop. What if they do hire McDaniels, their season doesn't go well/Baker doesn't improve? I get the job is attractive because the roster is talented, but just such a poorly managed organization from the top, and that's coming from a Jets fan. 

Sounds familiar???  lmao

6 minutes ago, JetsFan15 said:

Sounds familiar???  lmao

Very fair; I'm not defending the Jets as much as I am criticizing the Browns - we've been a mess throughout the post-Tannenbaum era. That said, I do think the Jets took a really shotty situation and somehow got it right when they hired Douglas. Personally, I supported Macc in many ways and agreed with retaining him, but what has become apparent to me this year was his lack of attention to the offensive line. I used to credit him for his ability to find OL in the later rounds, which is something he did in HOU, but he literally didn't use a single pick in 2017 or 2018 on an offensive linemen, and we felt the effects of it this year. That, coupled with with the amount of discontent the coaching staff had with his free agency approach (didn't sign a C) and the Polite selection/validation for being right (he was a problem since day 1 of OTAs), it wasn't a surprise he got the axe when he did- the coaches had CJ's ear, and Gase let him know through back channeling that Joe Douglas would be open to listening, and since his contract tolled in May, there was no way the Eagles would block him from taking the job if it was offered to him. 

So while we're dysfunctional in our own right, we got lucky in many ways... Douglas would've been the top GM candidate on the market this year (Houston has had interest for years), and I'm sure a more attractive teams would've considered replacing their own GM with a guy like Douglas had he been available. Although giving Gase that interim GM tag was ugly in retrospect, we actually have alignment for the first time in a long time, with Gase and Douglas seemingly having history and appear to be on the same page.

So yes, Gase did have a say in JD being hired, but anyone in the league would've told you that he was one of the best candidates to be had this cycle and the contract (6 years) is a clear indication that JD is not tied to Gase. The team and Gase have made it very clear that Douglas has control over the personnel, and I think Gase's push for JD was more of wanting to have the right GM in place to help him be successful, rather than "let me get a puppet who will do what I say". Also, unlike the Browns, we didn't have that tiered executive equivalent to DePodesta lurking over the whole operation... 

Will the Browns be as lucky as we were? It seems like the only way they can be is if they hire Stefanski/Berry with DePodesta overseeing the operation; otherwise, things will inevitably get awkward with McDaniels/Caserio vs. DePodesta when the parties aren't in agreement. 

• Like 1

Agree with your assessment.  I still think CJ should have canned Mac in Jan if he was not committed to him moving forward.  And if there was any doubt in Jan he should have been fired with Bowles.  Anyway, hoping JD Is the answer and hoping Gase can change my initial feelings on him. 

5 hours ago, JetsFan15 said:

Agree with your assessment.  I still think CJ should have canned Mac in Jan if he was not committed to him moving forward.  And if there was any doubt in Jan he should have been fired with Bowles.  Anyway, hoping JD Is the answer and hoping Gase can change my initial feelings on him. 

Only thing I'll say about this: the league is short on guys who insiders actually believe are ready to run a football team, and with the role becoming more fluid, some of those men who are qualified/"ready" are opting to stay put within their own comfort zone knowing that they already have a major say in the way the team operates/are going to be a successor (i.e. Eric DeCosta, George Paton). I think these factors are the primary reasons why we haven't seen much GM turnover in recent years as we have in the past... 

Another thing to consider: teams have blocked executives from interviewing if they have more than 1 year left on their contract, but it's pretty much an unwritten rule that organizations allow their executives to entertain career advancement if they have less than a year left. The Eagles did so for Joe Douglas when Houston came calling in 2018. I think part of the reason why the Jets moved when they did was because Joe Douglas's contract had tolled in May 2019, meaning he had only one year left on his deal. Naturally, we interviewed/hired him in late May/early June. 

I think part of Maccagnan's ouster came down to timing. There were a few things that happened during the offseason that irked the coaching staff which Chris Johnson got to see it first hand (and I'm sure Gase & Williams aired out that laundry as well), and with Gase having a relationship with Douglas/them, Darnold, and CJ Mosley all sharing the same agent - the top GM candidate that was going to be available in 2019 - it made CJ's decision a lot easier. Have to keep in mind that ownership and their counsel usually has an open dialogue with the agents of their "premier" personnel (such as the HC, QB, etc.) - especially one to the magnitude of Jimmy Sexton - so I'm sure the possibility of JD arose well before Maccagnan was officially fired. As Michael Lombardi stated, JD was always favored for the job, but the Jets kind of had to wait for the appropriate time before making that offer. Had they fired Maccagnan in January, there's no telling who would've been running the Jets, but it probably wouldn't have been Douglas as the Eagles likely would've blocked him.  

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, NYJets4716 said:

Matt Rhule is putting together a pretty bad staff in Carolina,  maybe a good thing we didnt get him

That was the issue when they offered him the job. They didn’t like the staff he was putting together. Dude brought in a Big 12 defensive coordinator into the division with 3 of the most explosive offenses. I think the top 5 WR in terms of yards all were in the NFC South.

On 1/8/2020 at 7:54 AM, Bobby816 said:

Best thing JD can do is build a roster for the long term, all while giving this next season to where there's no excuse if Gase doesn't succeed. If he succeeds that's great. If he doesn't there's no excuse to keep him around beyond 2020.

What’s your measure of success for 2020?

Is it strictly wins and losses? Let’s say we go 9-7/10-6 but just miss out on the playoffs.